• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

Back in the olden days, we just held up a copy of X-Men #244, and if someone asked why it was important, we just said "It's the first appearance of Jubilee!"

Nothing makes you feel older than when someone refers to the 90's as the olden days. :preach:

No doubt...

It blows my mind that the verbiage on the notes section of a CGC label...which isn't even part of the service, just a freebie bonus...means so much to so many people.

I simply cannot fathom it.

In my day, you knew what a Hulk #181 was, a New Mutants #87, a Man of Steel #18, a Spidey #194....you either knew it, or you learned it.

Now...?

:shrug:

"But the CGC label note says X! I need it so say Y!! It has to say Y, or it's WORTHLESS to me!!"

:ohnoez:

:golfclap: +1

Back in the olden days, we just held up a copy of X-Men #244, and if someone asked why it was important, we just said "It's the first appearance of Jubilee!"

I don't need a label note to tell me that Swamp Thing #37 is the first appearance of John Constantine. If you do...you should probably do a little more homework.

It blows my mind that the verbiage on the notes section of a CGC label...which isn't even part of the service, just a freebie bonus...means so much to so many people.

In my day, you knew what a Hulk #181 was, a New Mutants #87, a Man of Steel #18, a Spidey #194....you either knew it, or you learned it.

Now...?

:shrug:

"But the CGC label note says X! I need it so say Y!! It has to say Y, or it's WORTHLESS to me!!"

:ohnoez:

I don't need a label note to tell me that Swamp Thing #37 is the first appearance of John Constantine. If you do...you should probably do a little more homework.

For resale it helps to have the CGC label say it, because now days "Ain't no body got time for that "

lol but true

:applause:

-slym

lol

You know he's referring to you, right?

The bottom line is, nobody gives a rat's azz if Hulk 180 is called a cameo, a brief first appearance, a first appearance, a one panel appearance, an intro, or whatever the hell term is being used.

The book will be bought and sold based on its intrinsic value to a collector, no matter the verbiage used. Stop tilting at windmills.

-slym

lol

The bottom line is, nobody gives a rat's azz if Hulk 180 is called a cameo, a brief first appearance, a first appearance, a one panel appearance, an intro, or whatever the hell term is being used.

The book will be bought and sold based on its intrinsic value to a collector, no matter the verbiage used. Stop tilting at windmills.

Been down this road before with this conversation. I just simply disagree with this statement.

It might not matter to many of us here. It might not matter to seasoned collectors.

It does however matter to the large influx of new collectors that have hit the scene in the last 5 years or so. Argue it all you want, it does matter, and it does affect the price of a book. If CGC changes books that they list as a characters first appearance, the money does move in the changes they make direction. The money of these new collectors mostly.

Being perplexed as to why this is happening or wanting to call it silly doesn't really matter. It is happening. Many Copper and Modern age books nobody thought would EVER be worth anything are blowing up left and right. The cause is the same. Question it all you want. It's happening.

Ive always had the opinion that CGC should either have a set way they list all first appearances, or just not list any at all. Using bad information and then changing what they put on slabs after hundreds have been submitted is just messed up. It doesn't matter if it's " bonus information" If its wrong, it's wrong, and a 3rd party shouldn't muddy the water and make it more confusing for these new collectors.

The " people should just know, or too bad for them" concept is fine. I get it. I come from that era of " just knowing, or not knowing". Nobody was there to help us. Times change folks. That's why you keep going back in those longboxes shaking your head digging for the newest *hot* book, amazed.

Personally, if I list a book for sale on eBay, I add " 1st app." in the title, if it is one. It matters... Well if I want a better auction or a higher chance at selling a book. Its a popular search term on eBay. It matters.

-slym

lol

Been down this road before with this conversation. I just simply disagree with this statement.

It might not matter to many of us here. It might not matter to seasoned collectors.

Points taken. I'm perhaps being a bit narrow in my response, and considering the CGC board audience in isolation. For us here on the boards, though, I'll stand by my and RMAs comments.

You're dead on with your note about the influx of new collectors, though. We'll see if this new blood, many of whom seem to be old card collectors, will change the buy/sell patterns.

Points taken. I'm perhaps being a bit narrow in my response, and considering the CGC board audience in isolation. For us here on the boards, though, I'll stand by my and RMAs comments.

You're dead on with your note about the influx of new collectors, though. We'll see if this new blood, many of whom seem to be old card collectors, will change the buy/sell patterns.

meh.

The label notes shouldn't matter, to anyone. The reason why has already been explained: they are subject to change, as the market evolves. They are not meant to be exhaustive, they were never meant to be exhaustive, and people...whether they are 30 year veterans, or 5 day newbies...should not be using them as gospel information about the book for that very reason. They are not part of the service, they are a bonus provided by CGC at their sole discretion.

Whether or not "new buyers" realize that isn't CGC's problem.

CGC didn't get anything "wrong" when not including notes like "first appearance of Rocket Raccoon" or "first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon", or any other verbiage.

Now...if the information is incorrect, then yes, it needs to be fixed. But being incorrect, and being INCOMPLETE (as the market may think of it) are two entirely different things.

If someone is going to turn down a Thor #165 because it doesn't say "1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)" then they are being ridiculous. The label says, in big, bold letters "THOR #165."

CGC isn't selling these books. Therefore, what they include in the notes is not particularly relevant, and shouldn't be.

It shocked me to no end to discover that anyone cared about this at ALL. Totally shocked. "People don't know that Hulk #271 is only the comic book first appearance of RR, they're being misled!"

Which, of course, is silliness to the extreme.

So what you guys are saying is... Buy all of the Wolverines #2 & #3. then sell all the #3 as first apperance now and then #2 as first apperance when it's all said and done. incoming money train with a good old fashion double dip.

I hope the sarcasm comes through on this post...

Edited by Hurtszick

The label notes shouldn't matter, to anyone. The reason why has already been explained: they are subject to change, as the market evolves. They are not meant to be exhaustive, they were never meant to be exhaustive, and people...whether they are 30 year veterans, or 5 day newbies...should not be using them as gospel information about the book for that very reason. They are not part of the service, they are a bonus provided by CGC at their sole discretion.

Whether or not "new buyers" realize that isn't CGC's problem.

CGC didn't get anything "wrong" when not including notes like "first appearance of Rocket Raccoon" or "first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon", or any other verbiage.

Now...if the information is incorrect, then yes, it needs to be fixed. But being incorrect, and being INCOMPLETE (as the market may think of it) are two entirely different things.

If someone is going to turn down a Thor #165 because it doesn't say "1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)" then they are being ridiculous. The label says, in big, bold letters "THOR #165."

CGC isn't selling these books. Therefore, what they include in the notes is not particularly relevant, and shouldn't be.

It shocked me to no end to discover that anyone cared about this at ALL. Totally shocked. "People don't know that Hulk #271 is only the comic book first appearance of RR, they're being misled!"

Which, of course, is silliness to the extreme.

If they aren't to be taken as gospel, they shouldn't be on the label.

It isn't shocking at all that someone is going to care about the words on the right side of the label when a great number of people care so much about the number on the left side of the label.

You can't have something labeled, graded, and guaranteed by a panel of experts, which the community is supposed to accept as a standard, and then on the same label have something written which is up to interpretation. It doesn't matter if this is a bonus service or not. If the effort to get it right isn't there and there are no set guidelines for what or how something gets noted, then it shouldn't be there. It reflects badly on the company if one aspect of their service is not approached with the same diligence that is used everywhere else.

For the most part, the first appearance of a character doesn't change, unless something gets retconned somewhere down the line and a character who previously appeared was actually another character all along (or something similar). The only thing up to interpretation regarding the first appearance of a character is which book is a character's first MEANINGFUL appearance, which is where the opinion of individual collectors and the market's view is taken into account. But CGC doesn't need to concern it with market opinion, it just needs to come up with the definition of a first appearance and then apply it consistently.