• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

Yep, I sold one here on the boards years back for $30. It is truly a scarce book in the grand scheme of things. Bought my two off the shelf day of release, and only ever saw a couple more at another store like 2 days later. Was going to scoop them up but put them back like an amateur. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 right?

Yep, I sold one here on the boards years back for $30. It is truly a scarce book in the grand scheme of things. Bought my two off the shelf day of release, and only ever saw a couple more at another store like 2 days later. Was going to scoop them up but put them back like an amateur. Oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 right?

It is what it is.

Sold mine for $50 last year. Cudos if someone can get more I paid $2.

It is very hard to find I never see it at shows.

The label notes shouldn't matter, to anyone. The reason why has already been explained: they are subject to change, as the market evolves. They are not meant to be exhaustive, they were never meant to be exhaustive, and people...whether they are 30 year veterans, or 5 day newbies...should not be using them as gospel information about the book for that very reason. They are not part of the service, they are a bonus provided by CGC at their sole discretion.

Whether or not "new buyers" realize that isn't CGC's problem.

CGC didn't get anything "wrong" when not including notes like "first appearance of Rocket Raccoon" or "first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon", or any other verbiage.

Now...if the information is incorrect, then yes, it needs to be fixed. But being incorrect, and being INCOMPLETE (as the market may think of it) are two entirely different things.

If someone is going to turn down a Thor #165 because it doesn't say "1st full appearance of Him (Warlock)" then they are being ridiculous. The label says, in big, bold letters "THOR #165."

CGC isn't selling these books. Therefore, what they include in the notes is not particularly relevant, and shouldn't be.

It shocked me to no end to discover that anyone cared about this at ALL. Totally shocked. "People don't know that Hulk #271 is only the comic book first appearance of RR, they're being misled!"

Which, of course, is silliness to the extreme.

If they aren't to be taken as gospel, they shouldn't be on the label.

You are perfectly within your rights to let CGC know your opinion on the matter. I am only saying what is, not what should be or could be.

It isn't shocking at all that someone is going to care about the words on the right side of the label when a great number of people care so much about the number on the left side of the label.

That's a bad comparison. CGC is a GRADING company, not a NOTATION company. You are not paying them for the label notes. You are paying them for the grade. Why are you not paying them for the label notes? Because, as I said, the label notes are subject to change, for no other reason than the market evolving. When CGC first opened, did anyone care that Hulk #271 was RR's first appearance? No. Did anyone mind, then, that the notation wasn't on the label? No. You pay CGC for the grade, not the notes.

You can't have something labeled, graded, and guaranteed by a panel of experts, which the community is supposed to accept as a standard, and then on the same label have something written which is up to interpretation.

Well, first, the grade ISN'T guaranteed, and never has been. The only guarantee that CGC has is that the item is that the comic book is authentic, that it has been examined by two "comics professionals" (whatever that means), and that the holder will be defect free for five years. That's it. In fact, in the guarantee, it is specifically stated that the grade IS NOT guaranteed.

Second...why not have something which is up to interpretation? The grade itself is up to interpretation!

It doesn't matter if this is a bonus service or not.

Of course it does. CGC is under zero obligation to make sure a service which is not paid for is correct. Again...you're not paying for the notes.

If the effort to get it right isn't there and there are no set guidelines for what or how something gets noted, then it shouldn't be there. It reflects badly on the company if one aspect of their service is not approached with the same diligence that is used everywhere else.

This necessarily assumes that CGC doesn't give a hoot, and just puts whatever they want on the label. That is NOT the case. Go back to the Hulk #271 example. In 2002, 2005, 2007, 2009...nobody cared that it was the "first comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon." So, that absence from the notes meant nothing to anyone. So, now that the market DOES care, did CGC "get it wrong" all those years, by not including it? Were they not being "diligent"?

No! Of course not. Again...inaccurate information is not the same thing as incomplete information. One is absolute...the other depends entirely on market whim.

For the most part, the first appearance of a character doesn't change, unless something gets retconned somewhere down the line and a character who previously appeared was actually another character all along (or something similar). The only thing up to interpretation regarding the first appearance of a character is which book is a character's first MEANINGFUL appearance, which is where the opinion of individual collectors and the market's view is taken into account. But CGC doesn't need to concern it with market opinion, it just needs to come up with the definition of a first appearance and then apply it consistently.

Sure, and feel free to volunteer your services to CGC to notate all the comic book notes that the market will consider important in the future, but does not consider important now.

Because, I've got the first appearance of Slaughterman that needs notation!

:ohnoez:

I think the whole Rocket issue is having IH #271 state it was his first appearance, then realizing he had appeared in a magazine earlier, and having to revise the label to 1st comic book appearance.

But whatevers. Not that big a deal to me. Being "comic" collectors, most would want the IH #271 it would seem anyway.

My 2c .

Carry on...

Here's another first appearance

dh1_600x419.png

Marvel told Scott Hepburn to put a Kamala Khan into Captain Marvel 14.

Since Marvel is directing artists to put these characters into books, forcing there first appearances, it should be obvious which is considered what.

No matter how hard some people try, they will never make it so Hulk 180 is more desirable than 181.

There was a time... lol

Still, there is no symmetry if IH #180 isn't the main book, how in the heck is MoS #17 more meaningful than #18 ? I don't think I will ever understand the very similar circumstances and presentations but completely different perceptions of their respective values. (shrug)

I personally wish the most valuable appearances were easier to determine. Look at the new Ms. Marvel. You get to choose from Captain Marvel numbers 14, 17, and 17 2nd print but the big winner appears to be Ms. Marvel #1. lol

It blows my mind that the verbiage on the notes section of a CGC label...which isn't even part of the service, just a freebie bonus...means so much to so many people.

I simply cannot fathom it.

In my day, you knew what a Hulk #181 was, a New Mutants #87, a Man of Steel #18, a Spidey #194....you either knew it, or you learned it.

:applause:

lol

You know he's referring to you, right?

The bottom line is, nobody gives a rat's azz if Hulk 180 is called a cameo, a brief first appearance, a first appearance, a one panel appearance, an intro, or whatever the hell term is being used.

The book will be bought and sold based on its intrinsic value to a collector, no matter the verbiage used. Stop tilting at windmills.

1) I am not talking about CGC labels, so he isn't really referring to me

2) while it does sorta poke fun at my point, it also helps make my point. Think about it, you'll see it.

:)

-slym

Star Wars #1 Hot Topic - catching fire.

Recalled? Check your local Hot Topic stores. Fill us in.

Delayed?

I've been told both.

Its not recalled. Its delayed. The Savage Hulk Advertisement Funko Pop Hot Topic exclusive appears on the back.

(thumbs u

No matter how hard some people try, they will never make it so Hulk 180 is more desirable than 181.

I don't know if you are referring to me or not, so I will reiterate. The market has spoken. 181 is the book everyone wants. I am just tired of it being called Wolverine's first appearance - and when I say that, I am not necessarily talking about CGC slabs. I see it on eBay, and even here occasionaly. There was even a post in the Water Cooler, in the thread everyone talks about the stock market in, where someone said that buying IH181s would be a good investment due to it being Wolverine's 1st app.

That's my only point.

-slym

I don't know if you are referring to me or not, so I will reiterate. The market has spoken. 181 is the book everyone wants. I am just tired of it being called Wolverine's first appearance - and when I say that, I am not necessarily talking about CGC slabs. I see it on eBay, and even here occasionaly. There was even a post in the Water Cooler, in the thread everyone talks about the stock market in, where someone said that buying IH181s would be a good investment due to it being Wolverine's 1st app.

That's my only point.

-slym

Oh I wasn't referring to you..

More a reference to people who wish their Cameo appearance was the one that was the valuable one.

That's my only point.

-slym

When and if IH180 becomes THE grail Ill just feel bad for this guy...

nerdtattoo5.jpg

That's my only point.

Oh I wasn't referring to you..

More a reference to people who wish their Cameo appearance was the one that was the valuable one.

(thumbs u

-slym

That's my only point.

-slym

When and if IH180 becomes THE grail Ill just feel bad for this guy...

nerdtattoo5.jpg

He has a claw tattoo on his forearm too. Maybe this is the real wolverine

Star Wars #1 Hot Topic - catching fire.

Recalled? Check your local Hot Topic stores. Fill us in.

Delayed?

I've been told both.

Its not recalled. Its delayed. The Savage Hulk Advertisement Funko Pop Hot Topic exclusive appears on the back.

(thumbs u

Here's what I've learned from DisFanReview

Apparently MARVEL is very interested in keeping their secrets, well, secret. According to multiple sources the HOT TOPIC corporate office sent another email to stores on Sunday January 25th, instructing store managers to account for all copies of the comic and DESTROY them immediately. Additionally, our sources indicated that it is likely the issue will be reprinted without the offending ad, but there is no indication as to when or if that will occur.

If this is true, then the Hot Topic variant is THE variant to get. $65 may well be a bargain.