• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,787 posts in this topic

All I know is that BA 12 struggles to break $1500 anywhere other than (usually) shilled ebay auctions.

And it was a series of documented shilled ebay auctions/bogus BIN's that even caused it to get to that level.

-J.

The thing is, which key books on eBay are not shilled now? I can only say for certain that I do not shill my auctions (and I still get above GPA prices on books anyway lol ) , but looking at the action on a lot of other keys there is shill bidding all over the place whether it is a Silver, Bronze or Copper/Modern key.

Edited by kimik

Pretty weak arguments for shilled. Of course eBay would have higher end results. It's a much more popular sales forum to the general public. Maybe collectors who bid at the auction houses tend to spend their money on other books. And I'm not seeing a definite shill in those bidders you've posted. Maybe they're just people who don't buy often on eBay, and decided they want to grab a copy of that particular book. Need more evidence, Jaydog. On the other hand, I don't feel like listening to your BA12 hate, so nevermind. Doesn't affect me either way.

Who is selling this book for below $1500 right now. Can I have a link?

16 of the last 17 sales are $1750+ for the last 3 months.

Only 4 of those were below $1800. The last 8 sales in the past 2 weeks were all $1800 and up. We know the $2000 sale in April was from a boardie.

The last Comiclink sale was $1600 back in April.

Then the 9.6 sales have 23 sales in the last 3 months avg of $856. How do those fit into it?

We can look back at some the boardies who have sold copies for above $1800. Could some these be some questionable sales? Sure, but you can find some of that with any common popular book.

Edited by Rip

Add my $1800+ sale to that list. People just don't want to accept it. Yeah, maybe there's some shenanigans going on with some others, but these are legit sales.

I for one dont think this book is worth the crazy prices but shes super popular (as I said) and I am not going to deny that this book is probably one of the top keys of the modern era along with Walking Dead # 1 even if I would not pay $1,8000 for it I think thats crazy but so be it. With these prices its the Hulk 181 of this age I guess. I remember when people used to laugh off the hulk 181 prices . the book still amazes me. (and I am in no way saying she is as important as Wolverine , but she is super popular and crosses over to women)

You raise a good point. I've seen evidence that there are people who don't own a single comic that want this book. It's not crazy to think that these people also don't bid on Ebay much. I rarely buy on Ebay, and when I do it's for art. It could certainly look like something I've bid on was shilled if I'm only ever buying from a few people that happen to have pieces that I want.

Pretty weak arguments for shilled. Of course eBay would have higher end results. It's a much more popular sales forum to the general public. Maybe collectors who bid at the auction houses tend to spend their money on other books. And I'm not seeing a definite shill in those bidders you've posted. Maybe they're just people who don't buy often on eBay, and decided they want to grab a copy of that particular book. Need more evidence, Jaydog. On the other hand, I don't feel like listening to your BA12 hate, so nevermind. Doesn't affect me either way.

They were pressed by the best, Brought from a lowly VF to those beautiful 9.8's..... Thanks again by the way ;)

Edited by CODLIVE

The dream is real, gentlemen. On a whim, one stop at 5 Below yielded 9 copies. Pristine condition.

All of the packs with The Defenders on the front had an Elektra 3 on the back, with ASM 4 buried in between. Also sandwiched in the OZ book pack. Will crack em open in a bit...

HgHBqrd.jpg

Edited by Cheesefrog

All I know is that BA 12 struggles to break $1500 anywhere other than (usually) shilled ebay auctions.

And it was a series of documented shilled ebay auctions/bogus BIN's that even caused it to get to that level.

-J.

The thing is, which key books on eBay are not shilled now? I can only say for certain that I do not shill my auctions (and I still get above GPA prices on books anyway lol ) , but looking at the action on a lot of other keys there is shill bidding all over the place whether it is a Silver, Bronze or Copper/Modern key.

There is truth to this. However with BA 12, those most recent auctions all ended with what is quite evidently a shill win, thus creating (and maintaining) an artificial price ceiling for the book.

Star Wars 1 (1977) is the other big offender of this right now as well, and for similar reasons.

With nearly 350 copies of this book in a 9.8 alone it is very prone to being heavily shilled, and is in fact, being heavily shilled. Even the most die hard fan cannot realistically look at those results and call them kosher. My 2 cents.

-J.

-J.

There is truth to this. However with BA 12, those most recent auctions all ended with what is quite evidently a shill win, thus creating (and maintaining) an artificial price ceiling for the book.

Star Wars 1 (1977) is the other big offender of this right now as well, and for similar reasons.

With nearly 350 copies of this book in a 9.8 alone it is very prone to being heavily shilled, and is in fact, being heavily shilled. Even the most die hard fan cannot realistically look at those results and call them kosher. My 2 cents.

-J.

The auctions may be shilled or they may not be shilled.

If a book sells consistently for around 2 grand, there is no such thing as artificial price ceiling.

This argument is baseless.The book is worth whatever it sells for, to the person who buys it.

The dream is real, gentlemen. On a whim, one stop at 5 Below yielded 9 copies. Pristine condition.

All of the packs with The Defenders on the front had an Elektra 3 on the back, with ASM 4 buried in between. Also sandwiched in the OZ book pack. Will crack em open in a bit...

HgHBqrd.jpg

Nice!

HgHBqrd.jpg

5 Below you say? hm

One of these just opened near me!

Finding these Spider Man #4 variants is great but the value of the book has been cut in half since the Five Below news hit and Ebay was flooded. I think it will go back up as long as Silk stays popular but wow what a sharp decline.