• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

I just checked the Census, and wow, there are waaaaaaay more NYX #3 9.8's out there then I thought... I had once heard it was a "rare" book. Yeah... Not so much.

I remember when the comic came out (2000 ish I think)I heard that the artist (Middleton) brought atleast 100 copies and sent it directly to CGC. He knew who was being introduced in the comic, that's the reason why he sent that many. He then sold all of them in eBay a few months/year after, for a good $$$...... atleast that's what I've heard

I've never seem one for sale at LCS here or any conventions, It may not be "rare" but it isn't plentiful either. My guess is of the 40 k print run at least 50-60% is held by collectors.

And who are the other 40-50% held by?

CGC maybe idk?

Every show I've been to in the last three years has had a copy in the room.

I'm sure nyx wasn't the greatest selling comic when it came out, especially considering the key is not the first issue, but saying it's rare when you compare it to variants that sell for the same chunch of change is misguided and wrong.

Well I'll never be convinced 40k is a "high" print run. (shrug)

It outsold all but the top 44 comics in March 2016. Seems high to me.

Wasn't NYX series geared towards a certain demographic (young female) ? My one good friend said that series didn't hold his interest.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Eyed-Kids-1-Ssalefish-Exclusive-Variant-1-of-175-Copies-Aftershock-B-E-D-/111975539198?hash=item1a124321fe:g:3UQAAOSwKfVXFuDo

12 copies sold at $40-$45. Not bad. (and yes, total transparency, I had a hand in creating this variant.) I still have a little stack of these that I didn't sell already. Ssalefish isn't me, but it's a friend of mine's store. I'm proud of this variant and it's getting some healthy sales on the bay. Best of all, the book is actually really good.

Great book and looking forward to issue #2 but tell your friend to lower his prices. Raping buyers on a new unheard of (by most) series won't gain him many return customers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Eyed-Kids-1-Ssalefish-Exclusive-Variant-1-of-175-Copies-Aftershock-B-E-D-/111975539198?hash=item1a124321fe:g:3UQAAOSwKfVXFuDo

12 copies sold at $40-$45. Not bad. (and yes, total transparency, I had a hand in creating this variant.) I still have a little stack of these that I didn't sell already. Ssalefish isn't me, but it's a friend of mine's store. I'm proud of this variant and it's getting some healthy sales on the bay. Best of all, the book is actually really good.

Great book and looking forward to issue #2 but tell your friend to lower his prices. Raping buyers on a new unheard of (by most) series won't gain him many return customers

but..... but.... but.... there's only 150 of these :ohnoez:

sssshhhh.....the pump and dump is in full effect.

He is charging what he wants, and so far people are buying. "Raping customers" seems a little strong. There are copies available of the regular issue. Having a unique cover with such a limited run is not cheap to produce if you're unaware. The artist has to be paid for producing the cover, and the variant swichover charge + the actual cost of the books being printed adds up.

No reason for "secrecy". I am definitely pumping this book because I believe in it. I'm not dumping it though. Of the copies I have left i'm only making 10 available. I honestly think this book is going to get a little crazy $ wise.

sssshhhh.....the pump and dump is in full effect.

No reason for "secrecy". I am definitely pumping this book because I believe in it. I'm not dumping it though. Of the copies I have left i'm only making 10 available. I honestly think this book is going to get a little crazy $ wise.

:roflmao: what??

Sooo between you and the shop owner that's what, half of the variant print run being hoarded by 2 guys and then setting the price? Hence the raping crack

I like the book, I like the cover. $20 is fair but $45 uh uh. Even if you guaranteed a 9.8, after slabbing and shipping costs I'm into it for $70+

Sorry, not seeing it

I made a thread to sell 10 of them. I did so because I was getting offers via pm for them. Even though I have less of them than Ssalefish, I was going to sell a few to boardies if they wanted them at a lower price than the ones on Ebay are selling for. I went ahead and deleted that thread though. I won't be selling any here if that's what you consider "dumping". I am not "dumping" anything. I am however still "pumping" because the book is killer. I hope that's understandable.

Does Black mask charge the shops that have a unique cover for the art? An artist has to actually produce the work when it's not just a color change. There's also the charge involved at the printer with the cover change. There's a total cost to producing these, and it's a lot more than $2 a book; at least for this one.

if black mask charges $2 a book for their 200 print run variants,(its probably less in the US because of international diamond shipping) how much does aftershock charge?