• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,791 posts in this topic

Uh, so is anything (that wasn't printed yesterday) actually heating up? hm

Every variant that's in the new shipment of Five Below combo packs

New shipment :o

They have Moon Knight and Ms Marvel variants

I've picked up several of the new shipments. Of all the books I got, 2/3 were variants, and the remaining 1/3 were 2nd/3rd prints and Secret Wars books. I don't see how there can be any question that Marvel is dumping excess stock through these packs.

As for what I got, nothing mindblowing, but at $1 per book, it's hard to go wrong. Vengeance of Moon Knight 1 Finch, Ms. Marvel and Loki Agent of Asgard design variants, X-Men Deadpool State Birds Variant, Inhuman Dante variant, those are just off the top of my head.

So far I haven't found anything as good as the last round of packs, but at $4 per pack they're still fun to pick up.

Let's keep talking about it.

It's not heating up. Just pumping books to sell.

That. Is. All. :headbang:

If your book isn't "heating up" per se, it seems to be selling well at whatever price you have set. You gave full disclosure that you are involved with this book, and were understandably shameless in your plugging and proud that it has caught on.

So congratulations on a successful launch.

If there was less jaundiced cynicism on these boards , more people would have told you the same thing.

-J.

+1

Let's keep talking about it.

It's not heating up. Just pumping books to sell.

That. Is. All. :headbang:

If your book isn't "heating up" per se, it seems to be selling well at whatever price you have set. You gave full disclosure that you are involved with this book, and were understandably shameless in your plugging and proud that it has caught on.

So congratulations on a successful launch.

If there was less jaundiced Jealous cynicism on these boards , more people would have told you the same thing.

-J.

+1

^^

I just checked the Census, and wow, there are waaaaaaay more NYX #3 9.8's out there then I thought... I had once heard it was a "rare" book. Yeah... Not so much.

I remember when the comic came out (2000 ish I think)I heard that the artist (Middleton) brought atleast 100 copies and sent it directly to CGC. He knew who was being introduced in the comic, that's the reason why he sent that many. He then sold all of them in eBay a few months/year after, for a good $$$...... atleast that's what I've heard

I've never seem one for sale at LCS here or any conventions, It may not be "rare" but it isn't plentiful either. My guess is of the 40 k print run at least 50-60% is held by collectors.

I fished two nice ones out of dollar boxes. Sold them way too early.

My recollection is seeing them still on the rack at Midtown a couple of weeks after it came out, taking a quick glance, and saying "whatever"... so I'm guessing it wasn't a big hit at the time?

How can something be heating up at $45 when the store owner is the one charging $45 or whatever the price is??

cuz he's actually selling some of them?

I think the point was that selling something at the initial retail price is not "heating up". A $4 book selling for $45 is heating up but a book selling at $45 initial retail price is something else entirely.

How can something be heating up at $45 when the store owner is the one charging $45 or whatever the price is??

I think the point was that selling something at the initial retail price is not "heating up". A $4 book selling for $45 is heating up but a book selling at $45 initial retail price is something else entirely.

Reminds me of when someone was pre-selling the Spider-Gwen Phantom variants at an inflated price

You're going to get the crybaby quartet all riled up again. 25 have now sold at that price( 21 on Ebay) Black Eyed Kids #1 micro variant is the new hotness, but it will never be hot enough to evaporate the tears of the crybabies since they have no copies.

You're going to get the crybaby quartet all riled up again. 25 have now sold at that price( 21 on Ebay) Black Eyed Kids #1 micro variant is the new hotness, but it will never be hot enough to evaporate the tears of the crybabies since they have no copies.

I don't think its a big deal either way, but do you honestly not see the difference? Or why you're being perceived a certain way?

I don't think its a big deal either way, but do you honestly not see the difference? Or why you're being perceived a certain way?

It must be "heating up" because he raised to price to $50 on ebay plus shipping.

Since this is a CGC forum and, for better or worse, has influence over the secondary market he's risking the chance that the book won't be bought, slabbed, flipped at 4x the price and become an investment hit.

Look at what happened with Nowhere Men and Humans #0 when people felt that they weren't being treated fairly. Just saying

I definitely understand that there is a difference in opinion on what the thread title means. I also know that there's plenty in this thread that doesn't fit my opinion of what the thread is about. This thread could be condensed down to 50 pages or less if every post was about "Moderns that are heating up on Ebay". I was just going to make the one post here about how well it had started selling, but then I got cried on, and have responded.

I definitely understand that there is a difference in opinion on what the thread title means. I also know that there's plenty in this thread that doesn't fit my opinion of what the thread is about. This thread could be condensed down to 50 pages or less if every post was about "Moderns that are heating up on Ebay". I was just going to make the one post here about how well it had started selling, but then I got cried on, and have responded.

Well, you have left out the part where you were trying to sell some at the same time you were hyping how good it was. That was a key part of what generated the reaction I think.

I remember those books, but don't exactly remember what happened in that regard. Is it because they kept making more and more variants for the first issue? I remember there being a bunch of nowhere men covers...That isn't going to happen with Black Eyed Kids. He will definitely do 2nd,3rd prints if reader demand is there, but there won't be any more new cover art variants beyond the 1st print ones that already exist. (micro,1/10,B+W,show and Ssalefish)

It must be "heating up" because he raised to price to $50 on ebay plus shipping.

Since this is a CGC forum and, for better or worse, has influence over the secondary market he's risking the chance that the book won't be bought, slabbed, flipped at 4x the price and become an investment hit.

Look at what happened with Nowhere Men and Humans #0 when people felt that they weren't being treated fairly. Just saying

You don't know what this thread is about.

This thread is about moderns heating up. Not a "book pumping" sales thread.

Books heat up when they gradually sell for more than previous sales. A book doesn't heat up when it sells at a "set price" from a retailer and stays at that price, regardless when that retailer gradually raises the price.

Supply < Demand

Edited by Candletric

Yeah, I think that was the perception. I had gotten pms from several boardies, so I was just going to make 10 available in a sales thread at a lower price so 10 people could get one if they wanted. Once the crying started though I shut that down, as I have no interest in selling mine. I still held my word to a couple of guys since I'm not going to go back on something I say I'm going to do no matter how much some people might wan't to whine about it. We were in the middle of pm conversations, so I didn't want to leave them hanging. Beyond that I have zero interest in selling any more. I don't have that many, and genuinely believe the book has legs.

Well, you have left out the part where you were trying to sell some at the same time you were hyping how good it was. That was a key part of what generated the reaction I think.

Not true. He said...

"This book is amazing, and I think it's going to be the breakaway hit that Aftershock has needed. Definitely the best first issue I've read in a long time, and I am a pretty tough audience with new books these days. I really only like a few books a month if that.

Definitely buy the regular copy to read, but don't sleep on this micro variant. (only 175 available) Full disclosure, I am responsible for setting this cover up, so I'm partial. I have a small amount of them. It was my favorite option, so I thought it would be a good bet to make it the most limited cover. 5 have already sold for around $40 apiece on the bay from Ssalefish comics. "

That is about as honest as a person can be about his position.

Not true. He said...

"This book is amazing, and I think it's going to be the breakaway hit that Aftershock has needed. Definitely the best first issue I've read in a long time, and I am a pretty tough audience with new books these days. I really only like a few books a month if that.

Definitely buy the regular copy to read, but don't sleep on this micro variant. (only 175 available) Full disclosure, I am responsible for setting this cover up, so I'm partial. I have a small amount of them. It was my favorite option, so I thought it would be a good bet to make it the most limited cover. 5 have already sold for around $40 apiece on the bay from Ssalefish comics. "

That is about as honest as a person can be about his position.

I was referring to his summary in the post I quoted.