• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,793 posts in this topic

I don't get it... who's actually BUYING that book for $50?

Why?

What would create a demand for it?

Wouldn't anyone buying it, instead, simply drive to a Barnes and Noble and check and see if they could get it? If they couldn't, would they really jump back on eBay and simply pay $50 for a copy?

Is the demand THAT great?

Seems weird to me that there are that many.... uninformed impulse buyers for an item that has made an immediate sudden appearance.

Anyone HERE on these boards bought one for that price?

I'm seriously not judging, we all buy stuff that can be considered... unresellable or whatever.... I'm just curious to the thought process as to WHY for THIS issue.

Sorry but this is still not a flood.

Sorry youre wrong.

See how easy that was?

Sorry you're wrong.

Yup it's easy enough.

You would think people here would actually want to discuss an actual modern that's heating up

on Ebay in this thread without being a

LeagueOfExtraOrdinaryGentlemen5RecalledAmazeAd_zpsbncf48ho.jpg about it. I guess it's all just print runs and vitriol.

Why?

Wouldn't anyone buying it, instead, simply drive to a Barnes and Noble and check and see if they could get it? If they couldn't, would they really jump back on eBay and simply pay $50 for a copy?

Seems weird to me that there are that many.... uninformed impulse buyers for an item that has made an immediate sudden appearance.

I'm seriously not judging, we all buy stuff that can be considered... unresellable or whatever.... I'm just curious to the thought process as to WHY for THIS issue.

people on the board are normally pretty tight with the cash...i'd say no.

Why?

people on the board are normally pretty tight with the cash...i'd say no.

I actually wonder this a lot when this type of thing happens, but I question it a bit less when its an error. Its a niche market, but there are completionists AND people who collect errors AND speculators. And some or all of those people might be DUMB. That seems like enough to drive the value a bit for a while at least.

Why?

Who buys any inflated "speculation" book.

You would have an easier time figuring out why water is wet.

Both cases, don't know, don't care.

Those that buy error coins,stamps,trading cards etc. must all be DUMB too ? I wouldn't touch the Retail Errors but the Direct Sales are very much a speculative buy IMO. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Buying variant covers or small independent books with small print runs might be your thing. That's cool too...

Those that buy error coins,stamps,trading cards etc. must all be DUMB too ? I wouldn't touch the Retail Errors but the Direct Sales are very much a speculative buy IMO. If it's not your thing, it's not your thing. Buying variant covers or small independent books with small print runs might be your thing. That's cool too...

Agreed,.

And I'm not trying to shame anyone... a completionist is what he is. I understand fully, the thought process behind that and the sequential numbering syndrome and so on.

But we have those type of people HERE as well, and I'm just curious as to their thought process on buying it for $50ish, especially NOW when there doesn't appear to be a shortage of it on eBay, and maybe is even still available in stores....

Confirmed that another Philly area shop got direct sales copies of the JL #51 error last week.

Comic Universe in Folsom, PA (10 min South of the airport) got 10 or 12 of them, the owner showed me his stack today and they never hit the sales floor. He said that there's been no recall notice from Diamond or DC.

That is all

There are 679 B&N nationwide, we were estimating each had at least 8 copies.

Rounded up thats only 5,500 copies.

Assuming how many made it to the shelf, who knows realistically how many are in circulation.

Your estimate of 8 copies is an estimate. How do you know there aren't certain B&N that stock 20, and others who stock 4 copies? You don't.

I got yelled at by RMA for estimating variant print runs, so since he isn't here I'll play advocate for truth in print numbers.

#realprintnumbersmatter #stoptheestimating #stoptheinsanity

RMA sighting!

There's nothing wrong with estimating print runs...but it's important to establish how an estimation is made. You are correct, assuming 8 copies per store is a very inaccurate method of arriving at an estimate, which makes the estimate not particularly useful at all.

Calling several B&Ns in several states, however, and asking how many they received, and collecting and analyzing that data...now we're on to something.

Carrying a chip on your shoulder doesn't help you. Taking things so personally, you continue to make comments like this doesn't help you, either. If you can believe it, I'm trying to help you. Good luck.

Sorry youre wrong.

See how easy that was?

Sorry you're wrong.

Yup it's easy enough.

You would think people here would actually want to discuss an actual modern that's heating up

LeagueOfExtraOrdinaryGentlemen5RecalledAmazeAd_zpsbncf48ho.jpg about it. I guess it's all just print runs and vitriol.

No. Youre wrong.

I could do this all day. Seriously

Please reply back so we can flood this thread as much as the JL#51 flood on the bay

Sorry youre wrong.

See how easy that was?

Sorry you're wrong.

Yup it's easy enough.

And of course, any one with half a brain would know that Im not discounting the books hype and the fact that its heating up.

the only thing Im assuring everyone here is that if you wanted to buy a copy, wait till it dies.

Come on. Youre smarter than that

Arent ya?

Confirmed that another Philly area shop got direct sales copies of the JL #51 error last week.

Comic Universe in Folsom, PA (10 min South of the airport) got 10 or 12 of them, the owner showed me his stack today and they never hit the sales floor. He said that there's been no recall notice from Diamond or DC.

That is all

You buy any?

And those ten to the 30 something current auctions and you've got a nice deep puddle forming.

That is all

You buy any?

And those ten to the 30 something current auctions and you've got a nice deep puddle forming.

Are you combining the Retail with the Direct Sales auctions ? If so, why? They are 2 different books. As i type this there are 41 current auctions listed for Justice League 51 error with a total of 3 Direct Sales copies available. I stopped counting half way down the list at over 100 + available copies of retail Error/Misprints

Edited by viperdays

That is all

You buy any?

Are you combining the Retail with the Direct Sales auctions ? If so, why? They are 2 different books. As i type this there are 41 current auctions listed for Justice League 51 error with a total of 3 Direct Sales copies available. I stopped counting half way down the list at over 100 + available copies of retail Error/Misprints

If you search Justice League 51 you get 507 auctions, in Modern 235 come up, of those how many are the error? I do see that some people do in fact have multiples listed in their auctions. When you add Luthor or recalled or error to the search you get roughly 35-40 auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Modern-Age-1992-Now/900/i.html?_from=R40&_sac=1&_nkw=justice+lt I doneague+51

Run a search of sold Justice League 51 and you get less than 100 and not all of them are the book in question.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=justice+league+51&_sac=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=900&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xjustice+league+51+error.TRS0&_nkw=justice+league+51+error&_sacat=900

Edited by MrWeen

That is all

You buy any?

Sorry, by "never hit the sales floor" I meant that they weren't for sale. I guess he will be ebaying some of them

That is all

You buy any?

Sorry, by "never hit the sales floor" I meant that they weren't for sale. I guess he will be ebaying some of them

You post implies that you are friends with the guy so my question is appropriate. You said " never hit the sales floor ", that doesn't mean you didn't purchase any.

That is all

You buy any?

This guy alone sold a lot of the not-"rare"-either" "direct sales" upc version that had 25 copies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Justice-League-New-52-Issue-51-Recalled-Edition-Lot-of-25-Copies-/152138527569?hash=item236c29b351%3Ag%3AnQAAAOSwGIRXaVAV&nma=true&si=xbID1M6Roi55pQZ3XgzvrSjCRBk%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

They aren't "rare" either. :sorry:

-J.