• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
71 71

63,788 posts in this topic

On 3/12/2023 at 12:45 PM, fastballspecial said:

Just finished our 3rd show yesterday.

The market is very healthy no matter what some tell you. 

Many dealers at the show set records for sales yesterday. Main sales for me were Batman, ASM,
and Moon Knight. Several requests for Man Thing as many are filling their holes. GA books were
selling very well across the board. I had more requests for War comics than I thought with one
buyer spending $500+ on silver,bronze and modern war books. (Not me another dealer). Saw
another seller sell alot of trades. Alot of Silver exchanged hands as well from buyer to buyer
and from dealer to dealer. 

While moderns sold for me I sold alot more late Bronze and Copper. I sold 50+ Star Wars books
from Dark Horse and Hasbro. Sold all my Max Carnage extras I brought to the show. (I have alot)
High grade ASM copper sold very well for me as well. Oddball request of the days were Ambush
bug, Camelot 3000, and Later issues of NFL super Pro no joke lol. (Set makers )

We live in a bubble on this board we are a fraction of the market keep that in mind. 

while the con (and I'll argue that it's only some cons) market may be strong, the online market certainly has taken a hit, many books are nowhere near the value of the previous years and and increased number of sellers (seems many more are liquidating) has reduced the amount of cash available

has anyone seen consistent online sales in the past 6 months near the levels where they were?

On 3/13/2023 at 8:37 AM, jsilverjanet said:

while the con (and I'll argue that it's only some cons) market may be strong, the online market certainly has taken a hit, many books are nowhere near the value of the previous years and and increased number of sellers (seems many more are liquidating) has reduced the amount of cash available

has anyone seen consistent online sales in the past 6 months near the levels where they were?

It take at least a year for a recovery there. Covid money is that cause.

On 3/13/2023 at 9:15 AM, fastballspecial said:
On 3/13/2023 at 6:37 AM, jsilverjanet said:

It take at least a year for a recovery there. Covid money is that cause.

I'm in no rush.:peace:

On 3/12/2023 at 11:45 AM, fastballspecial said:

Just finished our 3rd show yesterday.

The market is very healthy no matter what some tell you. 

Many dealers at the show set records for sales yesterday. Main sales for me were Batman, ASM,
and Moon Knight. Several requests for Man Thing as many are filling their holes. GA books were
selling very well across the board. I had more requests for War comics than I thought with one
buyer spending $500+ on silver,bronze and modern war books. (Not me another dealer). Saw
another seller sell alot of trades. Alot of Silver exchanged hands as well from buyer to buyer
and from dealer to dealer. 

While moderns sold for me I sold alot more late Bronze and Copper. I sold 50+ Star Wars books
from Dark Horse and Hasbro. Sold all my Max Carnage extras I brought to the show. (I have alot)
High grade ASM copper sold very well for me as well. Oddball request of the days were Ambush
bug, Camelot 3000, and Later issues of NFL super Pro no joke lol. (Set makers )

We live in a bubble on this board we are a fraction of the market keep that in mind. 

Agreed. The Edmonton Collector Con yesterday was a strong show for both retail and older higher value books. Granted, it was the first main local comics/toys show of the year, but people had more money to spend this year than at the same show last year. I sold some $500+ slabs (top single book sale was $1500), and a ton of retail modern stuff. Moderns that sold well included the usuals that keep on giving like Artgerm cover B variants, Batman Three Jokers ($10 apiece), and Trailer Park boys #1 ($20 apiece). Late Bronze and Copper sales were strong, and I am close to being out of most Silver Age titles after deciding not to restock the boxes from last fall. Looks like I need to break out new stock for the Calgary Expo next month.

The only downside was having my X-Men #14 CGC 7.0 White pages stolen mid day. The thieves hit a bunch of sellers down our row at the same time. They worked in tandem - one person buying something small and distracting you with questions and the other one making their move. First time I have had a slab stolen at a show.

Edited by kimik

On 3/13/2023 at 5:02 PM, kimik said:

The only downside was having my X-Men #14 CGC 7.0 White pages stolen mid day. The thieves hit a bunch of sellers down our row at the same time. They worked in tandem - one person buying something small and distracting you with questions and the other one making their move. First time I have had a slab stolen at a show.

This is my greatest fear at our shows. I stress over and over again to dealers. Don't put out anything that is easy to grab and run with. 
And dont let anyone behind your tables ever unless you know them well. Last show we had a child abduction alert and 12 cops showed up.
I told dealers to tell buyers they were arresting a thief who stole books from dealers at the show. lol

On 3/13/2023 at 5:43 PM, fastballspecial said:

This is my greatest fear at our shows. I stress over and over again to dealers. Don't put out anything that is easy to grab and run with. 
And dont let anyone behind your tables ever unless you know them well. Last show we had a child abduction alert and 12 cops showed up.
I told dealers to tell buyers they were arresting a thief who stole books from dealers at the show. lol

I know. They did it well. I had a feeling something was up but they did it very carefully - I am pretty sure it was the guy who put his bag on top of the box for a sec while I was dealing with his buddy and he snagged it.

On 3/13/2023 at 6:56 PM, fastballspecial said:

What not is affected is the raw market especially Silver, Copper, and Bronze nice books. Doesn't even have to be keys

I think a good number of people in this thread deal specifically in modern, so this isn't good news as I agree the modern market is very stale

I think Copper has cooled off as well

I have an older dealer who I speak to and he's always asking me what's hot, my answer is always the same, silver age Spider-man. That has never cooled off.

On 3/14/2023 at 7:27 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I think a good number of people in this thread deal specifically in modern, so this isn't good news as I agree the modern market is very stale

I think Copper has cooled off as well

I have an older dealer who I speak to and he's always asking me what's hot, my answer is always the same, silver age Spider-man. That has never cooled off.

SA ASM has cooled off on eBay for me the past month. January through mid February I would sell out everything I listed within 7-10 days. Now, some books in higher grades have been sitting for 3 weeks. I guess with Christmas/tax return $$$ spent and convention season starting up we may see a bit of a slow down online.

On 3/14/2023 at 9:57 AM, kimik said:

SA ASM has cooled off on eBay for me the past month. January through mid February I would sell out everything I listed within 7-10 days. Now, some books in higher grades have been sitting for 3 weeks. I guess with Christmas/tax return $$$ spent and convention season starting up we may see a bit of a slow down online.

You should just dump them to me then. I'll offer you 25 cents cash on the dollar right now. US money, not that pink Canadian stuff.

Edited by FlyingDonut