• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Feb Heritage Auction

612 posts in this topic

Quick question, the live auction is scheduled to be Feb 22-23 in NYC. Every book though shows a Feb 22 auction date. Am I missing something or is most of the auction conducted the first day? I'm thinking of going out there for this...any other issues I need to think about? Can I just bid over the phone and save airfare/hotel? I know I can check the Heritage site, but just wanted to get some insight from those who have been to one of their live auctions. Thanks in advance.

You can bid by phone or on the Heritage website. No plane/hotel necessary.

Unless you are interested in Actions. In that case, telegraph only.

Carrier pigeon.

Extinct

Even better.

Quick question, the live auction is scheduled to be Feb 22-23 in NYC. Every book though shows a Feb 22 auction date. Am I missing something or is most of the auction conducted the first day? I'm thinking of going out there for this...any other issues I need to think about? Can I just bid over the phone and save airfare/hotel? I know I can check the Heritage site, but just wanted to get some insight from those who have been to one of their live auctions. Thanks in advance.

You can bid by phone or on the Heritage website. No plane/hotel necessary.

Unless you are interested in Actions. In that case, telegraph only.

Carrier pigeon.

Extinct

Even better.

Pony Express.

pony-express.jpg

It's a blast looking through the "Coming Attractions" for this auction. Between the Billy Wright stuff and the Curator stuff, I can't remember another auction with such an incredible array of stellar books.

With so much great golden age in this auction, I wonder what, if any, effect it will have on the prices realized. Could it be too much at the same time?

Especially after last year's overkill...

Do you really view the market as that thin in buyers with the money and inclination to purchase books of this quality?

Perhaps some will sell to buy? Certainly the incentive is there given the wonders on show. I guess I'm more concerned about what happens in the medium to long term, as prices in blue ribband items continues to rise, and as there seems no end in sight to the uncovering of wonderful collections.

In the last few years of his life Picasso produced dozens of pictures every day, equivalent to millions of dollars per painting.. The nominal value of his estate when he died was so great that it would have depressed the art market if attempts had been made to sell off significant chunks of his ouevre, worth more than some medium sized countries.

So could it be too much at one time? Maybe not, but maybe, sooner or later.. darn, I'm starting to sound like Mitch - or should that be the anti-Mitch? (No disrespect intended!)

At what point do collectors start realizing that there is way more supply out there than we ever thought? It is amazing that prices keep going up as supply rises. Have the laws of supply and demand been repealed? It seems that as supply rises (with no end in site) it is creating demand. A very strage situation.

Mike

It's a blast looking through the "Coming Attractions" for this auction. Between the Billy Wright stuff and the Curator stuff, I can't remember another auction with such an incredible array of stellar books.

With so much great golden age in this auction, I wonder what, if any, effect it will have on the prices realized. Could it be too much at the same time?

Do you really view the market as that thin in buyers with the money and inclination to purchase books of this quality?

Perhaps some will sell to buy? Certainly the incentive is there given the wonders on show. I guess I'm more concerned about what happens in the medium to long term, as prices in blue ribband items continues to rise, and as there seems no end in sight to the uncovering of wonderful collections.

In the last few years of his life Picasso produced dozens of pictures every day, equivalent to millions of dollars per painting.. The nominal value of his estate when he died was so great that it would have depressed the art market if attempts had been made to sell off significant chunks of his ouevre, worth more than some medium sized countries.

So could it be too much at one time? Maybe not, but maybe, sooner or later.. darn, I'm starting to sound like Mitch - or should that be the anti-Mitch? (No disrespect intended!)

At what point do collectors start realizing that there is way more supply out there than we ever thought? It is amazing that prices keep going up as supply rises. Have the laws of supply and demand been repealed? It seems that as supply rises (with no end in site) it is creating demand. A very strange situation.

Mike

Strange, but not unknown...

I was so impressed with the material in this auction that I consigned 12 ashcans from my collection. None of these have ever been offered before and most are unique.

I have never been able to figure out the best sales strategy for selling your books.

Is it best to sell it in an auction like this which will have many high profile books resulting in many more eyeballs which could push the price up on the books which you are consigning? On the other hand, your books would be up against some pretty stiff competition with a limited number of dollars out there which could push down the prices on your books. Is it better to put your books up in a auction with fewer high profile books so that your books could stand out more and hopefully fetch more dollars in the end? (shrug)

What's the opinion of the board memmbers here who have consign high profile books to these kind of auctions? hm

Gary's ashcans at least are different than anything else Heritage has in the auction (or almost ever has at auction). The question is whether the auction will bring in new buyers for these books are whether they are competing for the limited collector dollars that will be spread among the Billy Wright and other fine books in the sale.

It's hard to say for certain but I suspect that sales won't suffer and that what he gets in this sale is at least what he would have received in a less well-stocked auction.

I was so impressed with the material in this auction that I consigned 12 ashcans from my collection. None of these have ever been offered before and most are unique.

I have never been able to figure out the best sales strategy for selling your books.

Is it best to sell it in an auction like this which will have many high profile books resulting in many more eyeballs which could push the price up on the books which you are consigning? On the other hand, your books would be up against some pretty stiff competition with a limited number of dollars out there which could push down the prices on your books. Is it better to put your books up in a auction with fewer high profile books so that your books could stand out more and hopefully fetch more dollars in the end? (shrug)

What's the opinion of the board memmbers here who have consign high profile books to these kind of auctions? hm

It may be counterintuitive, but my experience is to list your books in the highest profile auction possible, and to list a run of books, as opposed to an isolated book here or there.

When the right books are available, there really doesn't seem to be any limit on the dollars available.

It may be counterintuitive, but my experience is to list your books in the highest profile auction possible, and to list a run of books, as opposed to an isolated book here or there.

When the right books are available, there really doesn't seem to be any limit on the dollars available.

Yes - listing aspread of bokks and focusing on the overall return

I consigned my Science Fiction Fanzines #1 and #2 to them back in October at NYCC. Now I get an email from Steve Borok saying they are too fragile for them to sell!!! THREE MONTHS after the fact! I had the chance to consign these to Comic Connect but opted to go with Heritage. Needless to say, I am LIVID.

I agree with the part about runs, especially when they are identified as being from the same collection or pedigree or registry set.

On the other hand, I have found that it's MUCH better to be a big fish in a small pond and place decent top end books in smaller auctions. That wouldn't apply to the absolute best though, those belong in the biggest sale you can find. Just my experience, having done well and not so well with consigning higher end books. Either way, there is a reason I am setting up at two shows this year. Place books in auctions long enough and you will end up making less than you could have, regardless of the house or size of the auction.

At what point do collectors start realizing that there is way more supply out there than we ever thought? It is amazing that prices keep going up as supply rises. Have the laws of supply and demand been repealed?

It seems that as supply rises (with no end in site) it is creating demand. A very strage situation.

Mike

Batman,Superman and Captain America are more popular now then they have ever been,so demand keeps going up.

Heck this Batman video game sold almost 5 million copies in it`s first week.

batman-arkham-city-official-box-art.jpg

Batman video games sells almost 5 million copies first week

So yeah the supply might be going up, but so is the demand with the big three golden age super heroes. :cloud9: