• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price Variant Club
32 32

3,550 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2023 at 10:33 AM, FlyingDonut said:

I've bought lots of Bronze Age books with that stamp - all of them were from eastern North Carolina, which tracks to the Wilmington test market for 35s. Not sure where/why the stamp was done but probably a second hand store there.

That definitely hangs together! Here’s an interesting one for you… this is graded by cgc 6.5. How much did the 20 cent stamp knock down the grade by? 

OK I know this is a bit before bronze era but silver age dosn't seem to have a nifty knowledge able  price varient club to ask questions like this at so here i am. :bigsmile:

Anyway my question is does anyone know how much more scarce the 68' 15 cent gold key issues are.  

I found this info on them( http://dellcomicfan.blogspot.com/2012/01/204-how-many-12-15-cent-gold-key.html?m=1 ) but it just states which issues have price varients. 

A brief look on ebay of this Doctor solar book I picked up recently shows most of them are 12 cents but there are a few 15 cent ones in there also. Looks to be about a 10 to1 ratio of 12 to 15 cent on this book on ebay. Just wondering if anyone has any more concrete numbers on these. :foryou:

20230121_152301.jpg

On 2/2/2023 at 2:25 PM, canickus said:

speaking of boom.  This was a good result on a Kid Colt 35 center.  They don't come up for auction much, so when they do - it is always fun.

2059371325_KidColt220ComicLink20230130.thumb.jpg.d0c534dfc1cac64d758674f0a83bf225.jpg

There were some nice books there, I was a waaaaaay underbidder on that one and the two gun kid 129. It's been too expensive a month already!

Edited by KolmarAvenue

wow, $5,520 for a CGC 8.0 Star Wars #1 35 cent variant - congrats to the buyer, and I guess condolences to the seller unless they've been holding it a long time.

I personally think that's a great price for a nice copy of this book....

Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 8.43.51 PM.png

On 2/16/2023 at 5:03 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Went bin diving at an LCS. He tells me I can go through some boxes with books he hadn’t marked yet. “But don’t pick out 100 books, I don’t want to be looking those up all day”

Ok so I start going through them all. Tons of DC, all un bagged and rough. He pulls out 1st issue special #8 and proclaims “See there are some nice keys in here”.  I am thinking to myself that I had a slabbed 9.6 and couldn’t even get my money back on that one, uhh no thanks.

Only a few Marvel of which these are about the most common and not great shape, but it is fun to find them anyways. So I bring them to the counter. He is like “Really? Why?” Without another word “$4.99 for #1 and $2.99 ea on the others” sounds good to me! 
Struck me that he had the Logan’s Run #6 on the wall - so he apparently knows a little about variants. 

I don’t really keep a list because at that price I am taking them no matter what. Of course when I get home I see I have #1,2and 4. 

C5A6D501-0DDD-40B7-87EE-1AEB932C5872.jpeg

Man sounds like you played your cards right and business, hope it still garners interest in the end. Capitalism!

I'd be happy, still no one to revel with other than the hobby haha. Time to make the grade even on some very over printed stuff. I tried to memorize it all, found a few that are neither here nor there, and I'm glad that you got your hunt on! That is what the story is :)  ^^ 

On 2/25/2023 at 12:13 PM, october said:

Found a decent sized pile of high grade 35 centers. Anyone have a sense of the best venue for auction, if I go that route? CLink? Heritage? I don't often have these. 

Few examples.

Comiclink as they tend to feature them more and have more, which drives more buyers. Those are pretty - any FFs?

On 3/1/2023 at 11:14 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Comiclink as they tend to feature them more and have more, which drives more buyers. Those are pretty - any FFs?

Thanks. I haven't seen any FF's yet, but I'm guessing they are coming. No war/western stuff either, sadly.

On 3/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, october said:

Thanks. I haven't seen any FF's yet, but I'm guessing they are coming. No war/western stuff either, sadly.

If you get the Scooby or the Flintstones make sure to post them here.

On 3/2/2023 at 4:18 PM, icp004 said:

I really hate posting after such amazing 35 cent books! 

but …..

Recent pickups over the past few months.  The doctor strange from MCS was not listed as price variant. I like getting books from them. It’s the best looking 6.5 I’ve ever received. 

8391EFAC-D9CF-410C-BE35-DECBA3BE57CA.jpeg

AA9EDEBA-3CE3-4D33-A0D7-4473FC7F36A8.jpeg

420D5C74-E131-426A-9273-946B444615B3.jpeg

30 cents. Variant for the Win! 

On 11/24/2022 at 6:27 PM, icp004 said:

Nice!  It would be good to see variant collectors post their double covers just to what other issues are out there.  In this thread I only recall seeing a WWT 15 (page 117) and the mention that someone also had that one.  

So no other price variants with double covers?  I did see a Defenders 37 DC on eBay to go along with the WWT 15’s and Doctor Strange 13’s mentioned in the thread.