• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,886 posts in this topic

And these might have been the ebay buy of the week for last week. Either no one else saw them or no one is interested. I got the lot of them for less than $12 shipped.

th_TochaHumana6.jpgth_TochaHumana8.jpgth_TochaHumana9.jpgth_TochaHumana10.jpg

th_TochaHumana10b.jpgth_TochaHumana11.jpgth_TochaHumana12.jpgth_TochaHumana13.jpg

Awesome deal! in good condition they are 20-25 USD a pop minimum.

So I also need to start looking on Ebay for Brazilian books now? :frustrated:

And these might have been the ebay buy of the week for last week. Either no one else saw them or no one is interested. I got the lot of them for less than $12 shipped.

th_TochaHumana6.jpgth_TochaHumana8.jpgth_TochaHumana9.jpgth_TochaHumana10.jpg

th_TochaHumana10b.jpgth_TochaHumana11.jpgth_TochaHumana12.jpgth_TochaHumana13.jpg

Awesome deal! in good condition they are 20-25 USD a pop minimum.

So I also need to start looking on Ebay for Brazilian books now? :frustrated:

No, there's none listed there. lol

Actually, almost all the foreign editions I've picked up have been from ebay.

Awesome article Define999. From my point of view, its intriguing to see the increased interest for these foreign editions among American collectors. Being a Norwegian, I've been collecting Norwegian books on/off since the late eighties. Much of what your article describe in regards to lack of proper storage and overall rarity, rings true.

Not only do you have the obvious low print runs in tiny countries like this, but theres been a general lack of "high grade" driven collecting. You always had the readers, the hoarders and the niche collectors - and the more common blend of all of these, but few if any would store their comics in bags and boards - even today theres some impressive high volume collections just sitting around without as much as a polybag in sight.

Thanks J! The article took me some time to do the research/writing. There are some inconsistencies in logic and facts but as a general read towards informing collectors about this niche of the hobby I think it covers most bases. I hope that for some collectors it helps them make a informed decision about undertaking this focus if they desire too.

Thanks for the supporting info.... One thing I do believe cannot be argued at least from my point of view considering the research I have done is the rarity of these variants in high grade. And the rarity in comparison to American population numbers….

The lack of bags and boards with these books really hurt a good majority of them. I couldn’t be sure but id be curious to find out when some of you (collectors in foreign countries) first heard of bagging and boarding your books? I bet it wouldn’t be pre-1980?

Does it only have to do with the American collectors obsession with condition? Was it simply a way for LCS’s to sell more stuff to collectors? Its like a chicken or the egg thought? Did collectors demand products to protect their comics or did the comic sellers tell them they needed it? I would be interested to study the factors associated with condition in other hobbies and if this factor was a American thing or just in general? If not than why did little American boys care so much? Here in America even before bags and boards like in the sixties you still hear stories of obsessive collectors that wrapped books in saran wrap or put a few important issues into manilla folders or what not.

I could be wrong but to date from what I have seen I would speculate that for every 10 highgrade-ish (9.4) American Marvels from 1970 there might be 1 foreign that’s around. Couple that with the low print runs and you have rare, rare stuff…..

The influence from US based culture in regards to comicbook collecting have been more noticable the past few years however, with both an increased demand for high grade and escalating prices. One have to realize tho, that the scale of eager, broad area collectors in this country is probably only in the few hundreds.

I bet this is similar to many small European countries with even smaller comic collecting populations. The global internectivity really has exported Americans anal retentive obsession with condition I suppose…. The fact that so few hard core collectors exist makes for a interesting market there I bet…. With bubbles and fluctuations all over the place. Especially with the desire of high grade material….

The first prolific collectors with sizable collections surfaced during the late sixties, early seventies. Since the early eighties we've had price guides, and we had a pretty established community from the late seventies till the early ninties - the peak years for the Norwegian comicbook marked. Theres been a second wind the past 10 years as far as collecting is conserned, much thanks to online communities breathing new life, and the added avilability of books that follows through various online auctions.

As a result of books being stacked straight into boxes and shelves without added protection, much of the "high grade" material you can track down linger in the 9.0 - 9.2 area at best. Despite these odds tho, one can find some true gems - even entire runs that miraculously survied the above mentioned mentality since the fifties. To find a 9.8 graded book from the eighties is no easy task however; push it back to bronze age and your really talking scarsity in said quality. Thanks to the high quality prints tho, its possible to track down and collect high grade over here, but its pricy and require lots of patience.

Another pestilence that have made it even more impossible to track high grade the later years would be the inclusion of hard plastic toys wrapped tight with almost every publication, making them look like they went through the grinder as they come off the rack. This horrific exersice (from a high grade collectors perspective anyway) is a futile attempt by the publishers to increase sales in a dying marked.

Price range and change is another interesting topic when it comes to the Norwegian marked. As an illustration, online auctions boosted the value of any high grade Norwegian 1968 ASM edition from 90$ average to a 400$ average just the past five years or so. Compared to our neighbouring country Sweden, and I would guess much of Europe infact, we had a very agressive increase in pricing on high grade issues.

Another very noticable development as far as pricing goes would be the increased value and appreciation of scarsity, despite otherwise appeal of a book. Romance books from the seventies indexed a few years ago to a price range of about 90$ in "near mint condition" have landed 850$ or more a piece, much because of the realization of how rare they are, thanks to the disinterest from collectors when they were readily aviable on the marked.

I have seen the toys packaged with books before... I could see how this would really hurt most books. I wonder do the books still packaged with the toys demand a premium there?

As far as scarcity.... rarity sure does matter! This is very interesting, and lucrative for those that got in early and acquired those high grade gems. It would be interesting to see if grading standards increase as collectors demand more and more perfection from there books like here in the states…. Im sure you have read threads here explaining how the 1970’s NM is a fine now and how a 80’s NM is a VF now… This phenomenon has spawned much debate…. does increased demand and interest in highgrade material force a manifestation of increased standards? Those sky high prices seem to be a reflection of this happening in real time. Especialy with more CGC material avialable in Europe. It will be interesting to see if this continues to happen in Europe and elsewhere…. And when it does those ahead of the curve stand to make some real money I think. Off both there local harcore collectors and Americans that chase high grades with a newfound interest in foreigns….

Its pretty odd how a quality magasine sized print run, which ran 11 issues during 1972 (with nothing indicating extremely low sales or low prints), can all but disappear. Said run now only exist from zero to three or four known copies per issue. The novelty of collecting such runs have become much more appreciated the past few years, and the price range indicates it harshly.

"Donald Duck" is the most popular and beloved run we've had over here. With its first publication in 1948 it peaked in the eighties printwise - and its still going strong after nearly 3000 issues. The first issue is also highly priced, despite not being all that impossible to track down for the right price. Record sales have reached above 17.000$ for books in the 7-8.x range. "The Katzenjammer Kids" is the longest running title, with a yearly publication since 1911 (the first edition widely recoginzed as the first Norwegian comicbook print, only known to exist in two copies and also the highest priced book by a fat margine).

American prints avilable through specialized shops and online trading have certainly eaten a fair share of our marked today. Alot of younger readers prefer the original American editions over the Norwegian ones, particulary TPB's. Personally I prefer the original for reading material (unless we're talking ducks, which just seems odd to me in any other form). From a collectors standpoint, I try to focus primarily on Norwegian books, but every so often some other foreign variant sneaks in there, most often American editions. My main goal is to put together an exclusive Norwegian collection of CGC certified high grade (or rare) books however.

Having submitted some 60 books thus far, my experience have been mostly good as far as CGC's work on these editions goes. I cant expect them to know all the standard Norwegian print defects that shouldnt pull a particular book down as much gradewise for a particular issue or run, these are things I can live with. I did hope that they would elaborate the publishers on the labels however. Simply putting "DC comics" or "Marvel comics" on the label removes some of the identity of the particular edition (I tried to submit detailed information in regards to our publishers, but this was disregarded unfortunately).

I have yet to submit books with posters, stickers and such, but I would hope these things are included on the labels when I do - naturally theres a completely different value tire and desirability involved there. Communicating this to CGC should be doable I suppose.

Forgive my ramblings tho, I just wanted to pitch in and outline another slice of comic culture on this side of the ocean as represented by a tiny country. Its great to see that theres an increased interest for these reprints / editions / originals (the definition can be argued I guess). Major props to the threadstarter, highly inspiering to read your research and the following discussion.

Ramblings? I would venture to say great info and great imput…. Yes someone needs to create a thread in the ask CGC section about how they handle foreign books…. Like I stated earlier in this thread it would be interesting to find out the process they use to maintain quality and confidence in the info they use for the label. I have been meaning to ask that question and just haven’t got around to it….. The absence of stickers or inserts is important and you are right about this affecting value. Maybe CGC can pay me to travel all over the world and research foreign books for them?

I attach one of my favourite editions of a wellknown book. This 1968 print is a fairly scarse one albeit far from the truly difficult things one can track. A quick comparison with the original will certainly yield some amuing visual differences beyond just the colouring scheme.

I'll also include a 9.8 supes print from 1978 just for the heck of it. I was pretty ecstatic about this one. To think it survived all those years w/o as much as a polybag to protect it (before I got my hands on it some two years ago) is perplexing. I suppose one would have to collect foreign editions for a while to realize the big deal about a random bronze age 9.8 tho

(PS Liaton, belive it or not, I havnt forgotten about those issues I promised to send you. Life completely sidetracked me however - I've even wrapped them and everything, just never got around to shipping it. I'll redeem that before disappearing again )

That Supes is freakin awesome man! Very nice… and to think it lived its long life without a plastic jacket and a back brace its amazing its doing so well! Liaton will appreciate that me thinks! He is a great guy and very understanding….

Great books guys! Keep them coming! (thumbs u

Since we are showing cool Indian books(im looking at you Spidercrazy)! Great books by the way, I just purchased this book and its in the mail on its way to my desert lair!

Screenshot2012-04-26at82442AM.png

Edited by Define999

If you plan on buying more indian comics, remember to ask the seller (politely) to use packing material of better quality. When I got my comics, there was a 2.5 inch tear in the side of the (very thin) envelope, I guess I was lucky I got anything at all!

I was just thinking that this might be the longest thread on the boards without any derailing attempts or drama in it. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Lots of information, getting to see REALLY cool books and even worked out a trade because of it. :applause:

For those interested how the Yugoslavian/Serb Spiderman covers correspond to the American counterparts, here they are:

(translation a bit rough)

EKS Editions series AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Number of originals (Serbian edition) Amazing Spider-Man # 3 (ex 345 Doctor Octopus) Amazing Spider-Man # 4 (ex 346 Man of sand) Amazing Spider-Man # 58 (Spider Kill 347 ex) Amazing Spider-Man # 59 (ex 340 Brainwashing) Amazing Spider-Man # 60 (ex 341 O, bitter victory) Amazing Spider-Man # 61 (ex 342 As our network Sple) Amazing Spider-Man # 62 (ex 343 Places for Medusa) Amazing Spider-Man # 88 (ex 289 steel tentacles) Amazing Spider-Man # 89 (ex 290 Doctor Octopus Conspiracy) Amazing Spider-Man # 90 (ex 291 Killer) Amazing Spider-Man # 91 (ex 292 man called Bullitt) Amazing Spider-Man # 92 (ex 293 Attack Ice Man) Amazing Spider-Man # 93 (ex 294 comes Rogue) Amazing Spider-Man # 98 (ex 248 Calculation with Goblin) Amazing Spider-Man # 99 (Spider-Man 250 ex) Amazing Spider-Man # 103 (ex 311-312 of Gog 1-2) Amazing Spider-Man # 104 (ex 313-314 of Gog 3-4) Amazing Spider -Man # 111 (ex 348 Capture Spider) Amazing Spider-Man # 112 (ex 349 Spider retires) Amazing Spider-Man # 113 (ex 400 Doctor Octopus called) Amazing Spider-Man # 129 (ex 260 Hangman) Amazing Spider- Man # 130 (ex 262 Betrayal) Amazing Spider-Man # 131 (ex 352 Who is my enemy?) Amazing Spider-Man # 132 (ex 355 man melted) Amazing Spider-Man # 133 (ex 356 melted attacks) Amazing Spider- Man # 134 (ex 359 Tarantula) Amazing Spider-Man # 135 (ex 360 Shooting in Central Park) Amazing Spider-Man # 139 (ex 315 grizzly Day) Amazing Spider-Man # 140 (ex 316 Someone has to fall) Amazing Spider- Man # 141 (ex 309 Misterio) Amazing Spider-Man # 142 (ex 272 Bluff Dead) Amazing Spider-Man # 143 (ex 273 Cyclone) Amazing Spider-Man # 144 (ex 280 Conspiracy) Amazing Spider-Man # 145 (ex 319 Gwen Stacy alive!) Amazing Spider-Man # 146 (ex 320 Scorpions, where is thy sting) Amazing Spider-Man # 147 (ex 321 Tarantula is a dangerous bug) Amazing Spider-Man # 148 (ex 322 Again Jackal) Amazing Spider -Man # 149 (ex 323 Even if I live I die) Amazing Spider-Man # 150 (ex 324 Spider Man or Man clone) Amazing Spider-Man # 151 (ex 325 Ulične skirmishes) Amazing Spider-Man # 152 (ex 326 soccer destroys) Amazing Spider-Man # 153 (ex 328 hundred yards the longest) Amazing Spider-Man # 188 (ex 310 bank robbery) Amazing Spider-Man # 206 (ex 304 horrible disease) Amazing Spider-Man # 207 (ex 305 Mesmer revenge ) Amazing Spider-Man # 208 (ex 269 Pulp duet) Amazing Spider-Man # 209 (ex 271 Kraven attacks) Amazing Spider-Man # 210 (ex 327 Madame Web Prophecy) Amazing Spider-Man # 211 (ex 329 Spider under the sea ) Amazing Spider-Man # 212 (ex 330 comes Hydro) Amazing Spider-Man # 213 (ex 331 killers) Amazing Spider-Man # 214 (ex 333 We both released) Amazing Spider-Man # 215 (ex 334 my power to torment me ) Amazing Spider-Man # 216 (ex 335 Marathon) Amazing Spider-Man # 217 (ex 336 Water and mud) Amazing Spider-Man # 218 (ex 337 Beauty and the Beast) Amazing Spider-Man # 219 (ex 338 Peter Parker criminal ) Amazing Spider-Man # 247 (ex 425 Interruptions) Amazing Spider-Man # 248 (ex 427 Thunder) Amazing Spider-Man # 249 (ex 431 Spider-Man secret) Amazing Spider-Man # 250 (ex 436 Awards)

017-2.png
:o

That's just awesome!

If any of you guys have Batman #232 foreigns you're willing/looking to part with let me know. It's probably my favorite comic of all time and I'd like to get as many versions as I can.

232?...Sure...send me your address....free..just pay the postage
Don't be silly, at least let me trade you something for it.

Just give me heads up for Avenger 4 variants when you find them.. ;)

If you plan on buying more indian comics, remember to ask the seller (politely) to use packing material of better quality. When I got my comics, there was a 2.5 inch tear in the side of the (very thin) envelope, I guess I was lucky I got anything at all!

Ahhhh sheet man… your scaring me Spidercrazy! I think Ches picked up a book from this Indian seller before? Was it packaged ok Ches?

Crazy to think books are getting shipped from Asia in thin envelopes without any stiffening protection. Yea I said stiffening! lol

I agree you were lucky it made it, I will take that advice for next time. In many ways this very story of voyage is another factor in foreign books appeal for me. To think these comics were printed in foreign countries as far away as India, never intending to be kept long-term like most comics were but a throwaway entertainment. Not only that they were never really intended but for their domestic audiences… and lo and behold they somehow end up half way around the world in our hands? How freakin cool…..

Thousands of miles of travel and what kind of stories do they tell? Did a young Indian boy read my Spiderman 1 variant? Being that he probably lived a much harsher childhood life than I did he treasure his book? Was he a street kid selling candy to foreigners? Did he steal it from a street vendor and run away to a shanty town where he read it in a room he shared with his 10 brothers and sisters?

Or was he part of the privileged Indian class with Parents of a higher caste? hm Each foreign book we collect has a story behind it that is uniquely foreign and non-American. This element layered over the phenomenon of American superheros creates a very interesting cultural and social study. I know I mentioned this in the original article but I will say it again….. Foreign comic books opened my eyes as a collector to a global world. The sandbox I play in is bigger now…

Buy the way thanks again Spidercrazy for the advice! (thumbs u Sorry I went off on a tangent guys

I was just thinking that this might be the longest thread on the boards without any derailing attempts or drama in it. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Lots of information, getting to see REALLY cool books and even worked out a trade because of it. :applause:

Nice! Yea, so far drama free and tons of info! We will keep this thread alive and relevent.... So I was thinking LSC in the spirit of good advice given by the likes of Spidercrazy I guess its time to drop some more tips....

Im just going to post verbatim a tip I have given in PM's to other foreign hunters.... this is for all of you hoping to expand your horizons into foreign EBay. The language barrier can be difficult...

So here is the trick..... remember on Ebay's home page there is a section on the bottom where you can go to the flags of other countires.... say you are looking for Batmans from Italy? You go to Italian Ebay and you search for Batman williams. WIlliams was the publisher...

you go to this listing.....

http://www.ebay.it/itm/i74-BATMAN-ed-Williams-1971-n-6-/390185945750?pt=Fumetti_Occidentali&hash=item5ad8e50a96

Everything is in Italian and pricing is in euros right? So the graphical interface is still similar to American Ebay. Go to the watch button and watch the item..... you will be asked to sign into Italian Ebay. Do it with your American account and have the item watched! Now go to american Ebay and sign in.... go to your watched items.... BAM! its there and Ebay has translated Italian into the more familiar English and converted the Euros into Dollars...... now remember that most foreign collectors dont even realize that there is a market outside thier home countires for the local books. If you see somthing you like and they say no international shipping.... just ask them, most speak english!

1st foreign hunters tip! By not limiting yourself to American Ebay you open yourself up to even more buying opportunities. Many of which are much cheaper than you will find here...

And like Spidercrazy said which I forgot to do in my Indian situation like a insufficiently_thoughtful_person! doh!

Always ask the foreign seller to ship the book or books securely... (thumbs u

Edited by Define999