• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic book collecting with a foreign variant focus
20 20

4,885 posts in this topic

I thought this was kind of interesting.

In FOOM magazine #18 (1977) they had an article called "Mighty Marvel Mags in Europe" by Neil Tennant.

Trying to educate the masses about the awesome foreign comic market way back in 1977 (I wish I would have listened and bought some back then).

s-l1600.jpg

Question:  What is the oldest Foreign version of Action Comics 1?  Or at least the oldest foreign Superman?

Action Comics 1 has a cover date of June 1938.  It's actual "On Sale Date" is April 18 1938. 

So what foreign edition came out first?

The Brazilian Gazetinha reprinted the whole Action 1 in episodic newspaper weeklys starting in Dec 1938.  I suspect there's something older than that though.

IMG_1585.jpeg

On 6/20/2022 at 2:35 PM, gadzukes said:

Question:  What is the oldest Foreign version of Action Comics 1?  Or at least the oldest foreign Superman?

Action Comics 1 has a cover date of June 1938.  It's actual "On Sale Date" is April 18 1938. 

So what foreign edition came out first?

The Brazilian Gazetinha reprinted the whole Action 1 in episodic newspaper weeklys starting in Dec 1938.  I suspect there's something older than that though.

IMG_1585.jpeg

On Mexico, they published the AC1 Superman story on several editions of "Paquito", one page at each edition,  on the back cover. I read a comment that it wasn't licensed. Anyway, on Heritage there is one of the editions:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous//p/40210-14011.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

On 6/19/2022 at 1:16 AM, Jcunha said:

Norwegian X-men Variants from 1985.

image.jpeg

I really enjoy this one.

On 2/18/2022 at 3:01 PM, gadzukes said:

These are coming my way soon.  I'm stoked.

btw.... nice legs Loki

s-l1600-23.jpg

I sent these two in for grading.  I got a 5.0 on the left one & a 4.5 on the right one. 

BUT the one on the left contains JIM 83 & 84.  It looks like they didn't mention JIM 83 on the label (It's coming to me in the mail so I don't know for sure yet)

Edited by gadzukes

On 7/2/2022 at 2:25 PM, gadzukes said:

It looks like they didn't mention JIM 83 on the label (It's coming to me in the mail so I don't know for sure yet)

I would complain. It is an very important part of it from a US historical pov . From a financial pov, you are likely going to lose money, perhaps a lot, in case of reselling.

On 7/2/2022 at 2:27 PM, gadzukes said:

I sent this in for grading too and got an 8.0.

Congrats. It seems a very high grade.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:31 PM, Kromak said:

I would complain. It is an very important part of it from a US historical pov . From a financial pov, you are likely going to lose money, perhaps a lot, in case of reselling.

I agree.... and what's more, I stuck a note in with the comic that I wanted JIM 83 included in the label notes.  When it comes I'll let you know.  I will be very disappointed if that notation is not on the label, because like you say... it's IMPORTANT!.  It's HISTORY! It's JIM 83 for God's sake!

I do understand since it has the cover to JIM 84 that it's easy to focus on that, but really it's only because they chose the wrong cover to the 1st issue.  It has both 83 & 84 for the 1st issue so they should both be mentioned on the label.

Edited by gadzukes

On 7/4/2022 at 12:37 AM, gadzukes said:

I agree.... and what's more, I stuck a note in with the comic that I wanted JIM 83 included in the label notes.  When it comes I'll let you know.  I will be very disappointed if that notation is not on the label, because like you say... it's IMPORTANT!.  It's HISTORY! It's JIM 83 for God's sake!

I do understand since it has the cover to JIM 84 that it's easy to focus on that, but really it's only because they chose the wrong cover to the 1st issue.  It has both 83 & 84 for the 1st issue so they should both be mentioned on the label.

I though it was the new Cgc policy to label it based on its most "important" feature (cover or story). If I am correct, the label is plain wrong. Will you complain?

On 7/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, gadzukes said:

Just picked this one up.  It has Marvel Spotlight 5 & Marvel Premiere 15 inside (Double Key)

IMG_1714.jpeg

It thought the Premier 15 was this one:

1871258535_21capa.thumb.JPG.f51320d1f77bc9c2fe231d9be71e7412.JPG

But if n°6 has the story, then this one probably only has the cover.

Note: Herois da TV is the most sought-after superhero comic book in Brazil.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:02 AM, Kromak said:

It thought the Premier 15 was this one:

1871258535_21capa.thumb.JPG.f51320d1f77bc9c2fe231d9be71e7412.JPG

But if n°6 has the story, then this one probably only has the cover.

Yes, that's the cover, but the MP15 story is in HDTV 6.  Maybe they reprinted it again in HDTV 21? But HDTV 6 is the 1st appearance of Iron Fist in brazil