• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOMORROWS TREASURES
4 4

215 posts in this topic

pretty sure this is the guy

Is this video for real? :roflmao:

Of course not - cartoons are doing it.

He actually picked up a slabbed book from me at Heroes last weekend. Seems very knowledgeable and up front. I liked that. I only have good things to say about Richie.

He was at someone's booth having a long conversation with the dealer when I wanted to look at a wall book the first day of Heroes. I sat for a good 2-3 minutes waiting. He just wouldn't stop talking even though the dealer kept trying to move his attention to me. Didn't upset me though - I thought it was pretty funny.

He actually picked up a slabbed book from me at Heroes last weekend. Seems very knowledgeable and up front. I liked that. I only have good things to say about Richie.

He was at someone's booth having a long conversation with the dealer when I wanted to look at a wall book the first day of Heroes. I sat for a good 2-3 minutes waiting. He just wouldn't stop talking even though the dealer kept trying to move his attention to me. Didn't upset me though - I thought it was pretty funny.

lol 2-3 minutes. I think the usual is 20 to 30 minutes

When the video pans counter clockwise that is me (light blue shirt) in the booth at 12 o'clock!
In the Samwell video? :shrug:

He actually has some decent cheap stuff but it is annoying that he marks the top of these books with a pen or something and you need to examine closely because some have tape on them.

He actually has some decent cheap stuff but it is annoying that he marks the top of these books with a pen or something and you need to examine closely because some have tape on them.

I visited the booth today. Messy and sprawled. Couldn't find a high grade at all. And every single comic was $20 straight up................ With a few boxes of 50% off and 1 box of $10 comics. Nothing on the walls at all. Only 1-2 comics in a display case. That's my only experience with them. Maybe it was an off day for them.

I thought he was anti-CGC?

according to his listing he is:

"I have NEVER "SLABBED" a book. I find it unnecessary to burden the buyer with the added cost of paying for an INCONSISTENT, UNDEFINED, and more importantly ---- an UNACCOUNTABLE "slabbing" service of DUBIOUS value ---- by a BIASED 3rd party."

That's only a small part of the rant BTW. Slabbing would spot the restoration too so that's probably the main reason he doesn't like it.

"I have NEVER "SLABBED" a book. I find it unnecessary to burden the buyer with the added cost of paying for an INCONSISTENT, UNDEFINED, and more importantly ---- an UNACCOUNTABLE "slabbing" service of DUBIOUS value ---- by a BIASED 3rd party."

That's only a small part of the rant BTW. Slabbing would spot the restoration too so that's probably the main reason he doesn't like it.

According to his listings, he doesn't regard 'archival tear seals' as restoration. These are merely 'conservation' according to his book descriptions.

One could say that his eBay listings could be misleading to an unseasoned buyer when it comes to resto. He'll certainly acknowledge any repairs to books, but he just might not use the term 'restoration'.

According to his listings, he doesn't regard 'archival tear seals' as restoration. These are merely 'conservation' according to his book descriptions.

One could say that his eBay listings could be misleading to an unseasoned buyer when it comes to resto. He'll certainly acknowledge any repairs to books, but he just might not use the term 'restoration'.

Does it really matter what he regards as restoration? It is what it is. But at least he acknowledges that the book has been altered - the same can't be said for some sellers.

Does it really matter what he regards as restoration? It is what it is. But at least he acknowledges that the book has been altered - the same can't be said for some sellers.

Here's is an example of one of his listings:

ACTION COMICS #35 [1941]

FEATURING: CLASSIC WAR COVER

BOOK DESCRIPTION: Complete, original, sound copy

COVER DESCRIPTION: Attached, tight, creases, small tears, stains

INTERIOR PAGE DESCRIPTION: Supple, solid, strong

INTERIOR PAGE COLOR: A very unusual -- white!

CONSERVATION: Archival tear seals

REPAIR: None

RESTORATION: None

GRADE: VG

Would some newer comic buyers assume that if they submitted this book to CGC it would come back with a blue label because it says 'no resto'? It matters more what book repairs/alterations Richie doesn't regard as restoration.

A rose by any other name ;)

He's acknowledging the resto but then also saying that no, its not really of any significance as to be identified as such, and in fact he has done the book a favor by 'conserving' it. Nonsense really.

The fact that the guy resents CGC so much is because he is an old school Luddite dealer who would prefer to pass off any book without too much investigation of its makeup. Rest assured if there was no CGC, then there would be none of this 'conservation' rubbish in his listing descriptions. 2c

CGC is a BIASED 3rd party. I'm sure as a seller he is completely objective :devil:

CGC isn't perfect, but anyone who bought expensive books before they existed knows that they are a whole lot better than the average old school dealer was in those days.

Buying books mail order was a complete shoot.

"I have NEVER "SLABBED" a book. I find it unnecessary to burden the buyer with the added cost of paying for an INCONSISTENT, UNDEFINED, and more importantly ---- an UNACCOUNTABLE "slabbing" service of DUBIOUS value ---- by a BIASED 3rd party."[/b]

A rose by any other name ;)

He's acknowledging the resto but then also saying that no, its not really of any significance as to be identified as such, and in fact he has done the book a favor by 'conserving' it. Nonsense really.

The fact that the guy resents CGC so much is because he is an old school Luddite dealer who would prefer to pass off any book without too much investigation of its makeup. Rest assured if there was no CGC, then there would be none of this 'conservation' rubbish in his listing descriptions. 2c

You are way off base with your last comment. Richie is a strange duck but he has been making his "conservation " notes on books since the early 1990s, at a minimum.Perhaps much earlier, he's been in the business since the mid-1970s.

Its my understanding that he applies the same standards to his books as rare book dealers apply to their wares. That some "upstart' company like CGC uses a different standard means nothing to him.

Called him a few weeks ago to ask about this book:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WEB-MYSTERY-6-1953-MILE-HIGH-/110878371930#ht_5089wt_1399

It's a Mile High copy he lists in NM. According to GPA, the same copy (Mile High) sold as a VF+ in Oct 2011. When I asked about this he said he cracked it out himself. He then said he sold it at a convention, that the seller got the original label, and that he hadn't had a chance to take it down from eBay. This was about a month ago and I see it's still listed on eBay.

So, buy a book or accept for consignment, crack it out (to read maybe?), then list as "your opinion" of the grade, for same price it last sold for in the open market? I don't quite get it.