• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOMORROWS TREASURES
4 4

215 posts in this topic

He actually picked up a slabbed book from me at Heroes last weekend. Seems very knowledgeable and up front. I liked that. I only have good things to say about Richie.

I thought he was anti-CGC?

according to his listing he is:

"I have NEVER "SLABBED" a book. I find it unnecessary to burden the buyer with the added cost of paying for an INCONSISTENT, UNDEFINED, and more importantly ---- an UNACCOUNTABLE "slabbing" service of DUBIOUS value ---- by a BIASED 3rd party."

That's only a small part of the rant BTW. Slabbing would spot the restoration too so that's probably the main reason he doesn't like it.

According to his listings, he doesn't regard 'archival tear seals' as restoration. These are merely 'conservation' according to his book descriptions.

One could say that his eBay listings could be misleading to an unseasoned buyer when it comes to resto. He'll certainly acknowledge any repairs to books, but he just might not use the term 'restoration'.

Does it really matter what he regards as restoration? It is what it is. But at least he acknowledges that the book has been altered - the same can't be said for some sellers.

A rose by any other name ;)

He's acknowledging the resto but then also saying that no, its not really of any significance as to be identified as such, and in fact he has done the book a favor by 'conserving' it. Nonsense really.

The fact that the guy resents CGC so much is because he is an old school Luddite dealer who would prefer to pass off any book without too much investigation of its makeup. Rest assured if there was no CGC, then there would be none of this 'conservation' rubbish in his listing descriptions. 2c

You are way off base with your last comment. Richie is a strange duck but he has been making his "conservation " notes on books since the early 1990s, at a minimum.Perhaps much earlier, he's been in the business since the mid-1970s.

Its my understanding that he applies the same standards to his books as rare book dealers apply to their wares. That some "upstart' company like CGC uses a different standard means nothing to him.

I stand corrected on that (thumbs u

He actually picked up a slabbed book from me at Heroes last weekend. Seems very knowledgeable and up front. I liked that. I only have good things to say about Richie.

"I have NEVER "SLABBED" a book. I find it unnecessary to burden the buyer with the added cost of paying for an INCONSISTENT, UNDEFINED, and more importantly ---- an UNACCOUNTABLE "slabbing" service of DUBIOUS value ---- by a BIASED 3rd party."

That's only a small part of the rant BTW. Slabbing would spot the restoration too so that's probably the main reason he doesn't like it.

According to his listings, he doesn't regard 'archival tear seals' as restoration. These are merely 'conservation' according to his book descriptions.

One could say that his eBay listings could be misleading to an unseasoned buyer when it comes to resto. He'll certainly acknowledge any repairs to books, but he just might not use the term 'restoration'.

Does it really matter what he regards as restoration? It is what it is. But at least he acknowledges that the book has been altered - the same can't be said for some sellers.

He's acknowledging the resto but then also saying that no, its not really of any significance as to be identified as such, and in fact he has done the book a favor by 'conserving' it. Nonsense really.

The fact that the guy resents CGC so much is because he is an old school Luddite dealer who would prefer to pass off any book without too much investigation of its makeup. Rest assured if there was no CGC, then there would be none of this 'conservation' rubbish in his listing descriptions. 2c

You are way off base with your last comment. Richie is a strange duck but he has been making his "conservation " notes on books since the early 1990s, at a minimum.Perhaps much earlier, he's been in the business since the mid-1970s.

Its my understanding that he applies the same standards to his books as rare book dealers apply to their wares. That some "upstart' company like CGC uses a different standard means nothing to him.

True, but he's in the comic biz rather than the rare book biz. It's a bit much at this late date to claim no resto on books with tear seals. That said, in my limited experience he's willing to work with you most of the time. In other words, not someone who an informed buyer needs to avoid. But he really should give up his private definition of resto.

Is this that Tomorrows Treasure Guy....??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEw7n_nhMqc&feature=youtu.be

Yeah, he was with Richie. Never met him before the Charlotte show but I did chat with him for a few minutes. Nice guy but a bit of a hustler. He seemed to have an encyclopedic knowledge about comics, at least as far as content goes. As I was going through randomly organized $20 silver age boxes, he would glance at what I was looking at and throw out background comments about storyIines, issue tie-ins, artists, inkers, you name it. Fun to talk to.

Re Tomorrow;s Treasures. I have purchased odds and sods from Richie many times. Never have a problem finding books to buy at his table, Nothing in super high grade but decent VG to FN issues for a decent price.

Re Tomorrow;s Treasures. I have purchased odds and sods from Richie many times. Never have a problem finding books to buy at his table, Nothing in super high grade but decent VG to FN issues for a decent price.

+1. I don't agree with all of his business methods to say the least, but when you get to know him, Richie is a lot of fun. That being said, I will go over any book of his that I'm interested in very closely. He is set squarely in his ways, that's for sure.

How's it going, Thomas? :hi:

Interested in a book that he has on eBay, but he hasn't bothered to respond to a request for a back cover scan that I made weeks ago.

INQUIRIES: In order to hold down the costs of preparing, and marketing the large volume of SCARCE items listed on my eBay store site, I find that I do not have the TIME to respond personally to ANY specific requests for ADDITIONAL information [scans, book content, descriptions…etc.] on ANY of my eBay store listings, EXCEPT listing ERRORS.

:shrug:

I spent a decent amount of time with Richie yesterday trying to work a deal on a FF1. We were too far apart so it didn't work out.

He's a nice guy and while he is long winded... he means well. He has strong opinions about CGC and their grading...in some ways I understand where he is coming from and others we don't see eye to eye.

He had only 1 CGC graded book on his table - a TOS 39 2.0. He used it as an example for how CGC grading is way off. On that particular example he was right. It was more like a 1.0 or 1.5.

He showed me an AF15 he had just received in trade and he cracked it out of the slab.

No other slabs were on his wall.

He's been involved with comics for decades and knows his stuff...I just don't agree with all of it. The nice thing about him is he was able to listen (at times) and see my point of view as well.

Edited by Mark 1

I don't have too big of an issue with this whole restoration / conservation demarcation.

From my point of view, restoration is just a more generic term that is used to describe an entire family of activities. Conservation is simply a more defined term which is used to describe a smaller segment of these activities within the larger overall restoration family. Actually, it is a more detailed and accurate designation, assuming that he has placed the activity in the correct category.

BTW: CGC was planning to also implement the conservation / restoration designations when they were thinking about getting rid of the PLOD and going to a uni-colour labelling system several years ago. Maybe Richie is just ahead of his time. :gossip:lol

If you call him, he will usually send a scan without asking.
How does he know what you're calling for then? :shrug:

How's it going, Thomas? :hi:

lol This would explain some of his postings.

Richie Muchin is cool in my book, and I've never had issues with him. I've been buying from him the last few years. There are two things I really like about Tomorrow's Treasures/Richie. First, he has a relatively deep Golden Age inventory -- particularly the hard-to-find stuff. He doesn't focus just on DC and Timely, but gets into all sorts of publishers. Second, Richie lets you go behind the tables and sift through his higher-end stuff on his wall. I call that "access" and he is very good about making me feel welcome on his side of the table. With many other dealers there are the tables with long-boxes separating you from their "Wall" and it's a PITA to look at stuff, difficult to communicate, and many times I just walk away. Richie, however, lets me use one of his chairs on "his side" and I just take my time going through stuff, taking books out of mylars, etc.

Another plus is that Richie is very knowledgeable about the hobby (he's been doing this since the 1970s) and is fun to speak with.

Despite the foregoing, he is pricey on the more desireable stuff in his inventory. But if you pay with cash/check, he will work with you on price.

Where you have to be cautious is what he calls conservation. He is very good about disclosing it. In any event, he refunds raw purchases if you submit and they come back PLOD.

Bottom line for me: not the best dealer out there, but one of my personal favorites.

Thanks for the info guys.

I was interested in some of his ebay items, but wanted the scoop from the board before contacting him.

In his descriptions he talks a lot about not having time to waste, I wish he would respect mine by clearly identifying books that would likely get a PLOD.

The only way I can justify this hobby is by putting all my $100+ complete books in CGC.

I can't imagine the nightmare my family would face if they had to sell non CGC books.

Somewhere....

...........out there..............

..................Richie Muchin is laughing his behind off...................

Somewhere....

...........out there..............

..................Richie Muchin is laughing his behind off...................

I see what you did there.

TT had an awesome bunch of $2 books at Heroes last weekend. Saw a Teen Titans #2 reader copy in the pile. :cloud9:

I thought he had a nice selection this year overall. I picked up a nice presentable Swamp Thing 1 from him and mentioned that I had been eyeing his Hawkman 1 that he had in his sub $100 boxes. HIs wife made me a reasonable offer on both that I couldn't walk away from.

He seemed happier this year than in years past. Every time I was at his booth though he was sitting in his foldable lounge chair talking to another dealer. I dealt with his wife.