• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Heritage / Pedigree Schmell Collection Auction has ended...

508 posts in this topic

Sgt Fury's too.

To answer Lou Fine's question, Doug did indeed have a 9.4 TTA #27 once, but has long sold it.

Bronty is correct that many of the big Marvel collectors are pretty ambivalent about TTA #27. I'm not sure if Brulato owns a high grade copy, but when a 9.4 copy first surfaced, he didn't go after it very hard (if at all), even though he already had what at the time was definitely the finest early TTA run in existence (mostly Western Penns, including the mythical 9.6 copy of #35).

Did anybody else noticed that Doug's TTA run is not complete! :o

His Tales to Astonish run starts with issue #35 instead of the key #27 issue. What's up with that? I thought somebody with Doug's OCD behaviour would have made sure that the entire run was complete before putting them onto the market. hm

the description of the collection in the Heritage catalog explains that Doug has been winnowing his collection for a while. i'm fairly certain he had a FF #1 9.4 that he received in trade from TB when Doug handed over his 9.6. that book ended up being sold (i guess) and he 'downgraded' to the 9.2 WM.

....he may have had both copies and kept a 9.4....the FF title IS his favorite. Some people have speculated that the 9.4 may have been the elusive Curator copy. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

No the Pacific Coast original owner didn't buy two copies of everything, although there is apparently a small handful of early Marvels with two copies, including the X-Men #1 according to board member linmoth.

doesn't make sense the original owner wouldn't buy two copies of everything, at least 1 to read. And there is evidence he bought 2 copies of some books, so I wouldn't rule it out there might be 2 copies of everything hidden away by Doug!

makes less sense that he would buy two copies of everything especially given that in the 15 years since the collection surfaced, no one has stated there were two copies of everything.

I'm surprised some bids are mild going into the first cut off before floor bidding begins but that tells me there will likely be a dozen dealers battling this out and running prices through the roof tomorrow. :P If I strike out tomorrow I may just walk away or try and bid to the bitter end on just one or two books.

The current bids on the Avengers #1 and FF #1 seem to have dropped dramatically since I received my "Bid and Tracked Lots" e-mail this morning.

The Avengers #1 current bid was $239k (with BP) this morning. The current bid right now is $95,600 (with BP).

The FF #1 was $227,050 this morning. Now it's $113,525.

The X-Men #1 and the TOS #39 are still the same though.

Not sure what's going on there.

The current bids on the Avengers #1 and FF #1 seem to have dropped dramatically since I received my "Bid and Tracked Lots" e-mail this morning.

The Avengers #1 current bid was $239k (with BP) this morning. The current bid right now is $95,600 (with BP).

The FF #1 was $227,050 this morning. Now it's $113,525.

The X-Men #1 and the TOS #39 are still the same though.

Not sure what's going on there.

Just saw that too. Bid retractions? thats a significant drop on the last day of internet bidding

Bids on other books have disappeared/gone down also. I assume maybe someone was throwing a ton of bids around and maybe Heritage finally got wise to asking if he actually had the ability or intention to pay for what he was bidding on.

reeks of someone w/a hard on for Doug purposely screwing w/ the auction.

If that is going on....I am glad Heritage is able to weed out the Dbags.

I think the frenzy will start when it hits the live auction. I'm hoping two books I want are not driven up to the stars.

:( i tried to be able to take tomorrow off, but it just cant happen. Is this planned for thurs/fri or are they going to get to all the lots tomorrow?

No the Pacific Coast original owner didn't buy two copies of everything, although there is apparently a small handful of early Marvels with two copies, including the X-Men #1 according to board member linmoth.

After the OO sold the books to PCE he told me he had 10 boxes of duplicates. That doesn't equate to 2 of everything but is alot more than a handfull of early Marvels.

I bought DD 1-21, TOS 48, 52, X-Men 1, 14-20, 25-33, Avengers 16-20, 25-32, FF 50, Ann 1-4, ASM Ann 1-3 and many more DC's.

Some of the duplicates are now 9.8 and in the Heritage auction. Some were 9.6 and still are but some were raw so I don't know how they graded.

The OO was selling books on eBay before Roter purchased the collection so who knows what else was sold.

Tom