• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Massacre. Multiple people killed in DKR Showing!!!

553 posts in this topic

I see reporting now that all his weapons were legal. As a few posters noted early on, leagally obtaining the types of weapons he had is VERY difficult.

This is from a New York Times story ( link ) :

"Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates offered few new details in the investigation, saying that even if the police were aware of a motive, he would not discuss it publicly. Mr. Oates said that the suspect, James Holmes, had legally purchased four guns in the last 60 days from two gun shops. Mr. Holmes also legally bought more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the Internet, Mr. Oates said."

It doesn't sound like obtaining guns/ammo was that difficult for him. Also, according to this article , it sounds like even more restrictive laws might not have prevented him from doing what he did:

"“The guy basically had normal guns,” said Eugene Volokh, an expert in constitutional law at the University of California, Los Angeles. Unless some new evidence of documented psychiatric disturbance emerges, Mr. Volokh added, “there’s no indication that, from his record, he is someone whom more restrictive screening procedures would have caught.”"

Regarding the claim somebody made that ducking for cover would be better than running, this is an account of what happened to Jessica Ghawi:

"Jessica and Brent were seated in the middle portion of the theater when a device was thrown into the theater that produced a “hissing” sound. The theater then began to fill with smoke which is when patrons began to move from their seats. At that time, shots were fired. Brent and Jessica immediately dropped to a prone position for cover. Jessica advised multiple times for someone to call 911, which Brent immediately attempted to do. Brent then heard Jessica scream and noticed that she was struck by a round in the leg. Brent, began holding pressure on the wound and attempted to calm Jessica. It was at this time that Brent took a round to his lower extremities. While still administering first aid, Brent noticed that Jessica was no longer screaming."

Given that account, running might (might) have been their best option -- or perhaps they simply didn't have any options at all. It is perhaps wisest not to second-guess what anybody should have done.

This whole thing seems like he was randomly choosing victims to shoot at. There was another story that had people who didn't run getting passed over by the shooter and he concentrated on the people that were running and fleeing and after he passed them by they were able to run for a side exit.

So in that account the people that stayed still didn't get shot and the people who ran did. How incredibly chaotic for those poor people. I couldn't imagine the horror if I had my child or family in that situation.

I see reporting now that all his weapons were legal. As a few posters noted early on, leagally obtaining the types of weapons he had is VERY difficult.

Actually, that's not what people were saying. They were saying that it was most likely NOT fully automatic weapons he had because it was VERY difficult to get them.

The weapons he bought legally were a shotgun, 2 handguns and a semi automatic rifle.

Those aren't the automatic weapons anyone was talking about earlier.

The media often calls semi-autos, automatic. The idea when you pull the trigger and a gun fires with no cocking action to them means it's automatic. Other than a single shot gun, guns can be fired quite quickly. He did not have illegal machine guns, which are true automatic weapons. Regardless, they were quite deadly.

[font:Book Antiqua]People it’s dying.

America has to stop and reconsider

his gun control law...

Sadly this it’s not the first case

and if something it’s not done with gun control

it’s going to happen again.

Guns it’s a business,

but we have to consider the real price we pay for them.[/font]

Apparently I missed another important thread already created which is strictly aimed at helping raise money for victims. This is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5864127&Board=4&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Generally I would delete a similar thread, but I think the threads are sufficiently different, but if others disagree PM me and I'll take it down or we can let the Mods decide?

On a sad note, the Washington Examiner has found a scene in Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns of a shooting in a movie theater which it is linking to the shooting. This is the link:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/batman-movie-shooting-imitated-from-scene-in-1985-comic/article/2502701

There is also a story about it on Bleeding Cool here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/20/batman-the-dark-knight-and-the-shootings-in-denver/

The text of the Bleeding Cool story is as follows:

It didn’t take long. I mean I knew it would happen, but this was a quick one.

The Washington Examiner is asking whether or not the Denver Dark Knight Massacre was based on a scene in The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, the tone of which has informed much of the current Christian Bale Batman trilogy, as well as lending it its Dark Knight title.

They don’t give an answer, they just raise the possibility.

There have been tens of thousands of Batman stories published since the character was first created, there was going to be a cinema shooting in one of them. The scene in question is momentary and one example of many – such as a scene when The Joker gasses a theater watching a chat show, yet that doesn’t seem to have been picked up on. And even the scene above shows a normal man with a gun exhibiting signs of madness, rather than the elaborate lengths the real life killer went to. That it was a Batman film where the massacre occurred seems to have had more to do with there being a large crowd present at a midnight screening rather than what was playing on the screen.

Time after time, the media tries to pin such actions on examples of media, as if that solves the crime, divorces responsibility for actions from a person who is just like us, and gives them an easy target to blame all of societies ills upon.

What happened in Denver is a human tragedy. The Dark Knight Rises will be tainted with this massacre for many years. And there will be clearly many reasons why this man decided to attack and kill so many, and why he was able to do so.

You can expect the character of Batman, the comics, the cartoons and the movies to be dissected looking for inspiration for this massacre. But reading a comic book from 1986 is not going to be at the top of those reasons, unless we choose to believe it.

For those following the tragedy, Reddit is providing excellent coverage.

Actually, that's not what people were saying. They were saying that it was most likely NOT fully automatic weapons he had because it was VERY difficult to get them.

The weapons he bought legally were a shotgun, 2 handguns and a semi automatic rifle.

The media often calls semi-autos, automatic. The idea when you pull the trigger and a gun fires with no cocking action to them means it's automatic. Other than a single shot gun, guns can be fired quite quickly. He did not have illegal machine guns, which are true automatic weapons. Regardless, they were quite deadly.

It's not just the media that calls them automatic. The manufacturers do too. Automatic loading. I've had pistols with "automatic" stamped right on them, they weren't machine guns.

And obtaining an automatic firing (machine gun) weapon is not all that difficult. It's a serious felony, but so is mass murder, so those types of guys are willing to do it. Especially when all the necessary parts can be bought online. On some rifles this piece right here is the difference between semi auto and full auto

skssear.JPG

But I have no clue if the shooter had a machine gun or not. Doesn't really matter. He obviously did plenty of damage with whatever gun he had. Just saying, it's not that hard to get one.

It has been a horrible day here in Colorado. My heart is sick. I don't know what else to say. Debating the pros and cons of gun control is not the point right now, the victims and their families are. We are losing our humanity and our souls. God help us.

Guest Reader

There's a lot of armchair quarterbacking going on here. Its easy to game a scenario once you know it. The bottom line is that none of us were there.

You could have had off-duty SWAT, Marines and SEAL's there but they are trained enough to know when NOT to take a shot. They must have positive ID on the target with a clear foreground and background.

Armed civilians with standard training could have gone either way in there. They could have gotten lucky depending on where they were seated or it could have been a disaster. Even more so than what it was.

Ah, I thought he had an automatic weapon. I see now that it was a semi-auto.

A few news items are now coming out claiming the shooter was obsessed with the comic series V for Vendetta

Sort of fits the explosives theme for what he left behind in his apartment.

Apparently I missed another important thread already created which is strictly aimed at helping raise money for victims. This is the link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5864127&Board=4&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

Generally I would delete a similar thread, but I think the threads are sufficiently different, but if others disagree PM me and I'll take it down or we can let the Mods decide?

On a sad note, the Washington Examiner has found a scene in Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns of a shooting in a movie theater which it is linking to the shooting. This is the link:

http://washingtonexaminer.com/batman-movie-shooting-imitated-from-scene-in-1985-comic/article/2502701

There is also a story about it on Bleeding Cool here:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/07/20/batman-the-dark-knight-and-the-shootings-in-denver/

The text of the Bleeding Cool story is as follows:

It didn’t take long. I mean I knew it would happen, but this was a quick one.

The Washington Examiner is asking whether or not the Denver Dark Knight Massacre was based on a scene in The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, the tone of which has informed much of the current Christian Bale Batman trilogy, as well as lending it its Dark Knight title.

They don’t give an answer, they just raise the possibility.

There have been tens of thousands of Batman stories published since the character was first created, there was going to be a cinema shooting in one of them. The scene in question is momentary and one example of many – such as a scene when The Joker gasses a theater watching a chat show, yet that doesn’t seem to have been picked up on. And even the scene above shows a normal man with a gun exhibiting signs of madness, rather than the elaborate lengths the real life killer went to. That it was a Batman film where the massacre occurred seems to have had more to do with there being a large crowd present at a midnight screening rather than what was playing on the screen.

Time after time, the media tries to pin such actions on examples of media, as if that solves the crime, divorces responsibility for actions from a person who is just like us, and gives them an easy target to blame all of societies ills upon.

What happened in Denver is a human tragedy. The Dark Knight Rises will be tainted with this massacre for many years. And there will be clearly many reasons why this man decided to attack and kill so many, and why he was able to do so.

You can expect the character of Batman, the comics, the cartoons and the movies to be dissected looking for inspiration for this massacre. But reading a comic book from 1986 is not going to be at the top of those reasons, unless we choose to believe it.

For those following the tragedy, Reddit is providing excellent coverage.

Official Sales Thread

I haven't read anything indicating he had an automatic weapon, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. Even if I had read that, I wouldn't believe it since nobody in the media knows the difference between automatic and semiautomatic anyways. Everything's just an "AK47" to them :eyeroll:

This guy who meticulously planned a mass-murder and then calmly carried it out really sounds like he would have been deterred by a few gun laws. Outlawing things people want doesn't make those items hard to get anyways (prohibition? war on drugs?).

I'd be all for less "gun control" (as if that's even a real thing with any teeth) if we had more goddamned bullet control. My suggestion, make bullets cost $10 each so some nutsak, a-hole can't go and buy 6000 freaking rounds.

You can make your own ammo you know.

Of course you could. And if some crazy guy wants to sit around and make 6000 bullets, so be it. As has already been pointed out, you can't really defend against somebody with that much crazy mixed together with that much conviction. If he wants to sit in his own feces and make bullets forever, so be it. The last thing we should do is make them so cheap he doesn't have to sit around and make them. Duh.

Anyway, making your own rounds doesn't negate the implication that paying through the nose for bullets might make people less able to purchase massive quantities of them and less apt to pump them into the bodies of innocent people.

Yeah, $10 bucks + tax for the most common bullets sounds about right to me. If you only have guns for protection then it shouldn't be a big deal, right? If you have guns b/c you like to hunt or target shoot or whatever, tough, hobbies are expensive, get over it.

Get rid of any law that infringes on a person's right to own a gun. Just make bullets cost more than a freaking decent pizza for effs sake.

To answer someone's earlier question, Colorado does have the death penalty. I believe there has only been 1 person executed.

Pat

Probably gonna be two now.

It might take years...

And if nobody swallows the innocent by screw loose defense.

http://news.yahoo.com/aurora-shooting-possible-victim-unaccounted-27th-birthday-205219708--abc-news-topstories.html

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but this story is the one that is getting to me. I don't normally cry, but seeing the look on the father's face made me shed a tear.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families.

It has been a horrible day here in Colorado. My heart is sick. I don't know what else to say. Debating the pros and cons of gun control is not the point right now, the victims and their families are. We are losing our humanity and our souls. God help us.

+1

A few news items are now coming out claiming the shooter was obsessed with the comic series V for Vendetta
Oh Gawd.

:facepalm:

... and again. +1

The beginning of the end?

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/why-did-james-holmes-choose-batman-30047606.html