• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Massacre. Multiple people killed in DKR Showing!!!

553 posts in this topic

Anyone interested in trying to put together some sort of benefit for the victims and families?

I know we come together as a community when one of our own is in need and this is a bit different than that but just thought I'd see if there is interest.

I'm in!

Maybe we can start talking about some human kindness instead of some of the we have been talking about here and do some good.....

(thumbs u

Just started a separate thread

Have we all forgotten Flight 97 already? Why didn't anyone tackle this dude?

Also, I really wish they would quit saying on the news that his hair color has to do with the Joker. After seeing the pics on TMZ I'd say he looks more like Ronald McDonald.

What would you of done if you was there? I bet you would of been hightailing it out of there like the rest.

I think it unfair to question the actions of people in these situations. I do not blame a single person for wanting to get out as fast as possible and get out alive. In this case you are in a dark and heavily crowded theater filled with tear gas, muzzle flash, people being killed, and mass panic.

You're also faced with the gunman being toward the bottom of the theater near the exit, thus giving him time and distance to anyone charging him unarmed. Time + distance = reaction. It must have been pure pandemonium in that place.

The CS gas alone would be more than enough motivation to get out - if you've never been exposed to tear gas, especially in a confined space, it is a horrendous experience and the only thought you have is to get out and get to air. Mix that in with all of the other elements and it must have been horrific to experience.

Point I was trying to make 99.99% of the people would of hightailed out of there. I know I would of ran. He acted like he would of done something.

I don't blame these people in the least. How could I question an unarmed civilian for fleeing an armed madman?

Flight 97 was a situation where there was no escape, and close quarters and no firearms where the terrorists were outnumbered and within arms reach of the passengers..

This is a large theater, with ample means of escape, with a heavily armed attacker. While the passengers on flight 97 realized there was no chance of escape and certain death regardless of their actions.

The situation is too different to compare it effectively.

Couldn't of said it better myself :applause: BuffyFan acts like he would of been a hero in the theater. If I was in that situation I would of thought of one thing, and that would be to get the heck out of there

I know BuffyFan, and that choice would have been for him to make at the time. Let's not turn this into a thread bashing anyone for their opinion. :foryou:

Also, I really wish they would quit saying on the news that his hair color has to do with the Joker. After seeing the pics on TMZ I'd say he looks more like Ronald McDonald.

What would you of done if you was there? I bet you would of been hightailing it out of there like the rest.

I think it unfair to question the actions of people in these situations. I do not blame a single person for wanting to get out as fast as possible and get out alive. In this case you are in a dark and heavily crowded theater filled with tear gas, muzzle flash, people being killed, and mass panic.

You're also faced with the gunman being toward the bottom of the theater near the exit, thus giving him time and distance to anyone charging him unarmed. Time + distance = reaction. It must have been pure pandemonium in that place.

The CS gas alone would be more than enough motivation to get out - if you've never been exposed to tear gas, especially in a confined space, it is a horrendous experience and the only thought you have is to get out and get to air. Mix that in with all of the other elements and it must have been horrific to experience.

Point I was trying to make 99.99% of the people would of hightailed out of there. I know I would of ran. He acted like he would of done something.

I don't blame these people in the least. How could I question an unarmed civilian for fleeing an armed madman?

Flight 97 was a situation where there was no escape, and close quarters and no firearms where the terrorists were outnumbered and within arms reach of the passengers..

This is a large theater, with ample means of escape, with a heavily armed attacker. While the passengers on flight 97 realized there was no chance of escape and certain death regardless of their actions.

Couldn't of said it better myself :applause: BuffyFan acts like he would of been a hero in the theater. If I was in that situation I would of thought of one thing, and that would be to get the heck out of there

I know BuffyFan, and that choice would have been for him to make at the time. Let's not turn this into a thread bashing anyone for their opinion. :foryou:

Yeah, you're probably right.

Anyone interested in trying to put together some sort of benefit for the victims and families?

I know we come together as a community when one of our own is in need and this is a bit different than that but just thought I'd see if there is interest.

I'm in!

Maybe we can start talking about some human kindness instead of some of the we have been talking about here and do some good.....

(thumbs u

Just started a separate thread.

I don't think he's saying that really. I think he's as upset as the rest of us and just wishing this was prevented or didn't happen. I don't want to knock him for that.

I'm in!

(thumbs u

Just started a separate thread

Thanks!

Posted in it (thumbs u

I haven't read anything indicating he had an automatic weapon, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. Even if I had read that, I wouldn't believe it since nobody in the media knows the difference between automatic and semiautomatic anyways. Everything's just an "AK47" to them :eyeroll:

This guy who meticulously planned a mass-murder and then calmly carried it out really sounds like he would have been deterred by a few gun laws. Outlawing things people want doesn't make those items hard to get anyways (prohibition? war on drugs?).

I'd be all for less "gun control" (as if that's even a real thing with any teeth) if we had more goddamned bullet control. My suggestion, make bullets cost $10 each so some nutsak, a-hole can't go and buy 6000 freaking rounds.

Chris Rock has similar ideas: Edit - There's a bit of NSFW language

I'm am so sick of seeing that POS's picture all over the news. Although Jessica is currently the only named victim I hope more is said in the upcoming days about those lives who have been changed forever. Sadly we remember the names in these situations of those responsible for their evil, we tend to forget the victims.

120720_jessica_ghawi_photoviajordanghawi_328.jpg

Jessica wrote is in her blog after the shooting in Toronto.

"I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. So often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings. Every second of every day is a gift. After Saturday evening, I know I truly understand how blessed I am for each second I am given,"

Who in their right mind brings a 3 month old to a midnight movie? Is it really that important??

The thing that gets me about this is that the audio in this sort of movie tends to be cranked up extra-loud. Why subject a 3-month-old's ears to that? Having to stay home and miss "event movies" for a few months before you can get a babysitter is part of the whole "having a baby" deal. Anyway, this is a small and unrelated point, but I do agree with the reaction. I am glad to hear reports that the 3-month-old survived the mayhem.

His mom was not surprised at what her son had done. I strongly doubt that he was every parent's wet dream until 20+ hours ago...

This situation makes me wonder if he isn't one of those children who was simply a "bad seed," who had something physiologically lacking in his noggin from the get-go. It's only a theory but even in his photo and with the look in his eyes, it looks like something is "off" genetically speaking. (Or maybe that's some sort of retroactive confirmation bias on my part.)

I haven't read anything indicating he had an automatic weapon, so I don't know what that has to do with anything. Even if I had read that, I wouldn't believe it since nobody in the media knows the difference between automatic and semiautomatic anyways. Everything's just an "AK47" to them :eyeroll:

This guy who meticulously planned a mass-murder and then calmly carried it out really sounds like he would have been deterred by a few gun laws. Outlawing things people want doesn't make those items hard to get anyways (prohibition? war on drugs?).

I'd be all for less "gun control" (as if that's even a real thing with any teeth) if we had more goddamned bullet control. My suggestion, make bullets cost $10 each so some nutsak, a-hole can't go and buy 6000 freaking rounds.

You can make your own ammo you know.

His mom was not surprised at what her son had done. I strongly doubt that he was every parent's wet dream until 20+ hours ago...

This situation makes me wonder if he isn't one of those children who was simply a "bad seed," who had something physiologically lacking in his noggin from the get-go. It's just a theory but even in his photo and with the look in his eyes, it almost looks like something is just "off" genetically speaking.

I see reporting now that all his weapons were legal. As a few posters noted early on, leagally obtaining the types of weapons he had is VERY difficult.

All we need to see now is that he had a history of mental illness and we are right back at Virginia Tech. A guy with mental issues who never should have been allowed to legally get a weapon being handed a license by the state.

Sometimes I wonder about the CCW people. You know there are situations where CCW's is worse than if no one had a gun. This happens to be one of them.

1. People say, "Well a trained conceal weapons person would have taken him out?

Really, they really train people to shoot at targets in the dark, with tear gas going off with people running in their line of fire as they are trying to shoot the HEAVILY ARMORED person in the DARK?

The fact is they don't. If ever there was a time to just shut up about this, it is this situation. Hey, the Virginia Tech was a better situation. The christian church shooter had a decent argument. The McDonald's shooter was a decent argument. But to argue that CCW's would have been better in this situation is pure blind bias.

A room full of 10 people shooting their weapons off in a tear gassed crowded room at a heavily armored person who is a nearly invisible target (Remember he was also wearing black in that dark room) with people running in the line of fire left, and right is never going to end well.

Face it, CCW's is not a universal solution for every single situation. It like being a gas station attendant, and thinking gas will work for every single vehichle you come across, and putting gas into diesel engines. Or thinking a football is the best thing to use in every single sport like Baseball, Basketball, and Hockey. Or thinking everyone needs to go on a diet including anorexic people.

Fact is there are exceptions to almost everything. The fact that Concealed Carry Weapons advocates can't realize that this is an exception to their rule seems to make me think they are completely biased to their cause, and can't see the forest through the trees. Here is a clue, sometimes concessions to certain points can actually make an argument stronger.

I see reporting now that all his weapons were legal. As a few posters noted early on, leagally obtaining the types of weapons he had is VERY difficult.

This is from a New York Times story ( link ) :

"Aurora Police Chief Dan Oates offered few new details in the investigation, saying that even if the police were aware of a motive, he would not discuss it publicly. Mr. Oates said that the suspect, James Holmes, had legally purchased four guns in the last 60 days from two gun shops. Mr. Holmes also legally bought more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the Internet, Mr. Oates said."

It doesn't sound like obtaining guns/ammo was that difficult for him. Also, according to this article , it sounds like even more restrictive laws might not have prevented him from doing what he did:

"“The guy basically had normal guns,” said Eugene Volokh, an expert in constitutional law at the University of California, Los Angeles. Unless some new evidence of documented psychiatric disturbance emerges, Mr. Volokh added, “there’s no indication that, from his record, he is someone whom more restrictive screening procedures would have caught.”"

Regarding the claim somebody made that ducking for cover would be better than running, this is an account of what happened to Jessica Ghawi:

"Jessica and Brent were seated in the middle portion of the theater when a device was thrown into the theater that produced a “hissing” sound. The theater then began to fill with smoke which is when patrons began to move from their seats. At that time, shots were fired. Brent and Jessica immediately dropped to a prone position for cover. Jessica advised multiple times for someone to call 911, which Brent immediately attempted to do. Brent then heard Jessica scream and noticed that she was struck by a round in the leg. Brent, began holding pressure on the wound and attempted to calm Jessica. It was at this time that Brent took a round to his lower extremities. While still administering first aid, Brent noticed that Jessica was no longer screaming."

Given that account, running might (might) have been their best option -- or perhaps they didn't have any options at all. It is wisest not to second-guess what anybody should have done.

I don't think he's saying that really. I think he's as upset as the rest of us and just wishing this was prevented or didn't happen. I don't want to knock him for that.

Exactly.

It's the type of horrible unpreparable tragedy that sometimes makes us think of our own mortality.

Different people react to it in different ways. Whatever helps you get through it, be it simple reflection or thinking of ways you could have reacted if you were there.. It's all the same: The mourning of a horrible tragedy.

Actually, that's not what people were saying. They were saying that it was most likely NOT fully automatic weapons he had because it was VERY difficult to get them.

The weapons he bought legally were a shotgun, 2 handguns and a semi automatic rifle.

Those aren't the automatic weapons anyone was talking about earlier.

Not to interfere with the arguments about gun control, media bias, the influence of violence in our culture and the dozens of other issues that most will never agree on, but I started another thread to list the charitable efforts that are being undertaken by retailers, collectors and others in this wonderful hobby in an effort to help us all focus on the good that is being done to aid the victims of this tragedy. If you are aware of any such efforts or other information that you think is appropriate to share in that forum, please do so. I hope thata as a community we can keep the arguments about public policy civil, focus on how we can help those harmed by this tragedy and remember to tell those who are unfamiliar with the Dark Knight Rises that the film is an incredibly hopeful message about the strength of orinary people who make a decision to help others regardless of the personal costs. While this cowardly gunman killed and injured members of the American family and members of our comic community, he will never harm the soul of this community which is as bright as the sun. Thank you all in advance for what I anticipate will be an amazing concerted effort by our community to honor the victims of this tragedy with works of alruism, kindness, selflessness and charity.