• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,977 posts in this topic

On 10/25/2021 at 4:22 PM, SargenticusV said:

...Sent my first submission (and quite possibly last) of 20 books on 3/5/21.  It landed in Sarasota on the 8th, was finally confirmed as delivered by USPS tracking on 4/1, and the order status has it marked as received by CCS on 4/3.  At that time the estimated TATs were ~108 (working) days for a "quickpress", and another ~51 days for Modern grading turnaround.  That's roughly 32 weeks, or 7 to 8-ish months.   I thought they might arrive as a nice X-mas surprise. ...

On 1/15/2022 at 4:17 PM, SargenticusV said:

For anyone interested, I was billed by CCS on 1/6/22.  That's a 10 month turnaround for pressing.   Submission Modern Grading tier, fwiw.   Ideally actual grading follows soon-ish.  

fwiw, received a submission acknowledgement email today.  My submission has now officially been received by CGC and is scheduled for grading. 

Edited by SargenticusV

On 12/14/2021 at 2:56 PM, Devin Colman said:

Perhaps it'd be beneficial to be realistic and start banking on a valentines day miracle

Should've bought a lotto ticket that day! 

Arrived June 1st

SFG Aug 3rd

GEI Nov 29th

QC/Shipped, Feb 01st

Now the fun starts all over again with my second and final order

Arrived Jan 24th

On 2/1/2022 at 4:52 AM, Gaard said:

Had enough?

pretty much, its gotten very expensive to slab a comic yourself and its not like I'm a flipper or sell a lot, just a guy who wanted to slab some of my favorite books cuz I had a good tax return last year

My account still has the 10% off so I submitted a few more books for myself and a couple others from guys in my community and that'll be all she wrote

On 2/1/2022 at 6:10 AM, Devin Colman said:

pretty much, its gotten very expensive to slab a comic yourself and its not like I'm a flipper or sell a lot, just a guy who wanted to slab some of my favorite books cuz I had a good tax return last year

My account still has the 10% off so I submitted a few more books for myself and a couple others from guys in my community and that'll be all she wrote

Yes, I'm guilty too, I too had the 10% off this past year, up until May. LOL  I way over shot the mark (over did it) just to send in as much as I could lol yet here we are and it's something to deal with, before it goes up by default. :cry: It was appreciated while we had the opportunity.

OK,

I just got off the phone with customer service regarding a value tier submission that was signed for on 5/17/2021. It is still in scheduled for grading, and according to customer service is probably at least another 21 days out. Here are the questions i asked (I made notes for clarity..LOL)

1. When does the TAT start?

When the box is signed for.

2. Is the estimated TAT at the time its signed for or does it change?

It changes daily as more books are received depending on their tier and fast track. Also There is a delay in the encapsulation phase. (He didn't elaborate beyond that)

3. Could a submission continually get pushed further and further out due to other submissions with no apparent end date in sight?

Well technically yes! As more books of higher and faster tiers arrive the ones before could potentially get pushed farther and farther out.

So in conclusion. Lets use Modern as an example for ease. 1 Book modern signed for today with a TAT of 2 days. In 1 day its bumped to 5. on day 4 its bumped to 10. on day 9 its bumped to 20. on day 19 its bumped to 25..... ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC....... I believe the TAT on submission for the order was 121 days. I'm sitting at 187 business days from when the books were signed for initially. 260 days total. It seems to me the system is broken. I'm not flipping and don't mind waiting, but how long seems to be a mystery. My main concern is how and where are these books sitting for 260 days? Climate controlled, boxed, stacked? I would say that matters in terms of how the final grades shake out. I understand everyone's frustration and I think sometime it is misplaced and everyone needs a bit of patience at times, but the lack of transparency is a bit ridiculous. If stated TAT changes daily whats the point of even posting it to begin with? It seemingly has absolutely no bearing on when to expect the books. There has to be a better way and surely CGC has to be trying something...... Thus far I'm not so sure but I hope....................... A simple explanation would go a long way in easing peoples fear and frustration. I was always under the assumption it was first in first out but apparently that isn't the case. I think fixing the bottleneck is one thing, but providing a little transparency is another matter that needs to be addressed as well.  

On 2/1/2022 at 8:15 AM, irishcritic said:

OK,

I just got off the phone with customer service regarding a value tier submission that was signed for on 5/17/2021. It is still in scheduled for grading, and according to customer service is probably at least another 21 days out. Here are the questions i asked (I made notes for clarity..LOL)

1. When does the TAT start?

When the box is signed for.

2. Is the estimated TAT at the time its signed for or does it change?

It changes daily as more books are received depending on their tier and fast track. Also There is a delay in the encapsulation phase. (He didn't elaborate beyond that)

3. Could a submission continually get pushed further and further out due to other submissions with no apparent end date in sight?

Well technically yes! As more books of higher and faster tiers arrive the ones before could potentially get pushed farther and farther out.

So in conclusion. Lets use Modern as an example for ease. 1 Book modern signed for today with a TAT of 2 days. In 1 day its bumped to 5. on day 4 its bumped to 10. on day 9 its bumped to 20. on day 19 its bumped to 25..... ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC....... I believe the TAT on submission for the order was 121 days. I'm sitting at 187 business days from when the books were signed for initially. 260 days total. It seems to me the system is broken. I'm not flipping and don't mind waiting, but how long seems to be a mystery. My main concern is how and where are these books sitting for 260 days? Climate controlled, boxed, stacked? I would say that matters in terms of how the final grades shake out. I understand everyone's frustration and I think sometime it is misplaced and everyone needs a bit of patience at times, but the lack of transparency is a bit ridiculous. If stated TAT changes daily whats the point of even posting it to begin with? It seemingly has absolutely no bearing on when to expect the books. There has to be a better way and surely CGC has to be trying something...... Thus far I'm not so sure but I hope....................... A simple explanation would go a long way in easing peoples fear and frustration. I was always under the assumption it was first in first out but apparently that isn't the case. I think fixing the bottleneck is one thing, but providing a little transparency is another matter that needs to be addressed as well.  

M most of your post has been talked about and answered more than covid concerns since 3/2020.

TaT's start the day your package was signed and delivered to CGC NOT the day it showed up in your account.  Sometimes books are graded much faster than stated TaT and vice versa.  

Here's your only 3 solutions that each of us have right now.

#1 Wait longer

#2. Stop submitting 

#3 Apply for a job at CGC and move to FL to help out

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I know they have all been asked and answered, but I still see questions on the board and figured I'd add what they said. I fully agree with your assessment, but I'm still a little perplexed as to why CGC doesn't make announcements to address the issues. I'm accustomed to the wait. I've been doing it for years, and can remember years ago when it was almost a year wait. I've been a CGC fan since the company opened and have no intention of going anywhere else, but I don't see how the current MO of grading is sustainable for continued growth. I think you hit the nail on the head with #2, and from the posts i see here and other places that is exactly what tons of people have done. I just hope they can fix and address the issues and not terribly hurt the brand or industry in the mean time.

On 1/31/2022 at 4:32 PM, zupaphly said:

My 4/7 CCS sub that has been in GEI since 11/19 went to QC today. 

It changed to shipped in a day, yay!!! Super pumped about a couple of grades, and bummed about couple. So this sub had 4 (almost 5, but was too scared it would drop from a 9.8) books in it that I cracked open for the McFarlane sig even back in Dec 2019/Jan 2020. Sadly i became unemployed because my company decided to close it's doors shortly after I cracked open the slabs. So I didn't think it was a wise idea to spend the money on the event, and tossed them back in my collection to wait for another sig event. I got bored waiting, and sent them in. Here are the results:

The awesome :

ASM 300 CGC 9.6 old label -> CGC 9.8

ASM 316 Newsstand CGC 9.6 -> CGC 9.8

Now the not awesome...

ASM 301 CGC 9.6 -> CGC 9.2, guessing I must have damaged it taking it out, or it was way over graded. I didn't notice anything when i resubbed it, but i didn't really look very hard since it was a 9.6 already. Fyi I thought it was a good idea to crack open cases after a few glasses of whiskey, lucky i didnt mess them all up 😢

Major bummer i guess...

Malibu Sun 13 error version CGC 9.4 -> CGC 9.0. Honestly, I always felt this was over graded. So I feel like this is an acceptable correction... a 9.2 would have been better though lol.

Super stoked with the grade bumps on the 300 and 316. The other 20 books were all great grades as well. Chalk today up as a win 😁

On 2/1/2022 at 2:43 PM, Ninja0215 said:

This is gonna sound like a dumb question but you can ship different tiers in the same box right?? :tonofbricks:

Yes. Back when it was 3+ month wait for them to open your submission, a "trick" was to include 1 Express Tier book. Then you could mark the box EX and get everything entered promptly.

On 2/1/2022 at 11:20 AM, NewWorldOrder said:

M most of your post has been talked about and answered more than covid concerns since 3/2020.

TaT's start the day your package was signed and delivered to CGC NOT the day it showed up in your account.  Sometimes books are graded much faster than stated TaT and vice versa.  

Here's your only 3 solutions that each of us have right now.

#1 Wait longer

#2. Stop submitting 

#3 Apply for a job at CGC and move to FL to help out

This is the best summarization of CGC submissions I've seen. And it's 100% on the money.

On 2/15/2021, I sent in a package of comics that fell into multiple tiers:

• CCS Value, pressed and graded
  • CCS modern, pressed and graded
  • CCS magazine, pressed and graded
  • CGC modern graded 

To date, I received all but the CCS Value returned to me (yes, it's going to take over a year).  I received the modern, non-CCS submission first (8/2021), and then Magazine submission with CCS press (10/21).  I received the modern submission with CCS press at end of 11/2021.  There was absolutely no alignment with posted TAT times and none of the CGC reps could accurately provide when my submission would arrive.  And as much as I would like to have all of the submission turnarounds done more accurately and quickly, I have decided to temper my expectations.

And why should I not be upset?  Well, unless someone has a better alternative, I don't know anywhere else where I can reach into my closet, grab a Thor 337 newsstand that I purchased for maybe $3 when it first came out, have CCS & CCG press and grade it as a 9.8 (for a marginal fee), and sell it for $1,400.

That service paid for my family room furniture.  

Is CGC perfect or even close?  Absolutely not. Not anywhere near. But I thought I'd share my story for some perspective. 

For the most part, CGC is making us money, and I, for one, have decided to accept what I get, when I get it, and be thankful.

But to each his own, I guess.

Peace be to all.