• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

On 5/18/2022 at 1:13 PM, alexanderjk said:

My current submission is standard. Just went to G/E/I yesterday, in fact. 

Rec’d 5/12

SFG 5/16

G/E/I 5/17

My standard was received 04/01, and it still in G/E/I.  It has been in G/E/I for a month.

Meanwhile one of my modern slowtracks was in G/E/I for about an hour today, and is now QC.

CGC strikes again. I don't even know if sending in older books anymore, especially from the 80's and 90's is worth it. I know we have been talking about this the last few days. Whoever is grading these books through Modern tier, has no clue what they are doing. I submitted a Avengers West Coast 94 and ended up with an 8.5 and this book was in NM+ condition when I bought it and even after the press and clean. For an 8.5, this grader never even added grader notes.

I have come to the conclusion that they either have graders there that have no clue how to grade these earlier books or CGC wants us to send these in as Express/Walkthrough to spend the money and have their "Experienced" guys grade these. Or they are like these people can just crack and resubmit for more money.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:44 AM, gadzukes said:

YES! 5/30 was the "delivered" date.

I still want to determine what exact date they are working on right now with Slow Economy.  Has anyone seen ANY status movement from early Aug?  Or even ANY status movement from July?

This thread may help clarify 

On 5/20/2022 at 12:12 PM, captainzombie said:

CGC strikes again. I don't even know if sending in older books anymore, especially from the 80's and 90's is worth it. I know we have been talking about this the last few days. Whoever is grading these books through Modern tier, has no clue what they are doing. I submitted a Avengers West Coast 94 and ended up with an 8.5 and this book was in NM+ condition when I bought it and even after the press and clean. For an 8.5, this grader never even added grader notes.

I have come to the conclusion that they either have graders there that have no clue how to grade these earlier books or CGC wants us to send these in as Express/Walkthrough to spend the money and have their "Experienced" guys grade these. Or they are like these people can just crack and resubmit for more money.

Post a picture of it in the 'Please Grade My....' thread.  Let's see it. 

On 5/20/2022 at 1:12 PM, captainzombie said:

I submitted a Avengers West Coast 94 and ended up with an 8.5 and this book was in NM+ condition when I bought it and even after the press and clean. For an 8.5, this grader never even added grader notes.

That is just wrong to give a modern book an 8.5 without a pretty major flaw.  I've gotten 9.2's back with 1" long color breaking creases on a corner.  A few spine ticks or cover bends should never drop it below a book with a 1" long color breaking cover crease.  I sure hope they can rectify this situation or there will be little faith in CGC grades going forward.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:10 PM, Petroman said:

That is just wrong to give a modern book an 8.5 without a pretty major flaw.  I've gotten 9.2's back with 1" long color breaking creases on a corner.  A few spine ticks or cover bends should never drop it below a book with a 1" long color breaking cover crease.  I sure hope they can rectify this situation or there will be little faith in CGC grades going forward.

I believe they mishandle books in the process before the graders.  Otherwise, it may be from the bad packing.

On 5/20/2022 at 4:10 PM, Petroman said:

That's the thing: That shouldn't happen.  Sometimes I fall into the trap of my grading getting softer as CGCs has.  Then, when they tighten up, I'm shocked at how strict they are until I get used to it again.  

The problem here is consistency.  

On 5/20/2022 at 3:36 PM, Beastfeast said:

That's the thing: That shouldn't happen.  Sometimes I fall into the trap of my grading getting softer as CGCs has.  Then, when they tighten up, I'm shocked at how strict they are until I get used to it again.  

The problem here is consistency.  

Exactly. I've been submitting books to CGC for the past 20 years and their grading has gotten tight or loose multiple times. For example, if I send in 25 books, expecting 18 9.8's, 5 9.6's and 2 9.4's, on average I'll get back 21 9.8's and 4 9.6' when the grading is loose. When their grading has gotten super tight, I would get back on average about 13 9.8's, 7 9.6's, 4 9.4's and 1 9.0. With 2/3 of my submissions these days, the latter is holding true, which is that CGC has tightened its grading (totally understandable). However, the remaining 1/3 of my submissions that go from G/E/I to shipped in a matter of hours, I'll get something like 2 9.8's, 12 9.6's, 5 9.4's, 2 9.2's, 2 9.0's and 2 8.5's.  Just completely bewildering.

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

3/3: Received at CCS

4/27: GEI

4/28: G/QC

5/2: Shipped

5/7: Delivered

1 Chris Claremont Signature Series w/Pressing

3/17: Delivered to CGC

4/12: Received at CCS

5/18: SFG

2 Adam Kubert Signature Series w/Pressing

5/20: Delivered to CGC

1 Jim Lee Signature Series w/Pressing

On 5/20/2022 at 8:15 PM, Jemin said:

1 Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Bagley Signature Series w/Pressing

1/28: Delivered to CGC

3/3: Received at CCS

4/27: GEI

4/28: G/QC

5/2: Shipped

5/7: Delivered

1 Chris Claremont Signature Series w/Pressing

3/17: Delivered to CGC

4/12: Received at CCS

5/18: SFG

2 Adam Kubert Signature Series w/Pressing

1 Jim Lee Signature Series w/Pressing

Is there no Eastman news? I thought maybe he was around the same time as Claremont? 

Only been close to 1 weeks I think for Eastman, but if you fan clarify when the Claremont signing happened? That would help. :wishluck:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/20/2022 at 8:22 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is there no Eastman news? I thought maybe he was around the same time as Claremont? 

Only been close to 1 weeks I think for Eastman, but if you fan clarify when the Claremont signing happened? That would help. :wishluck:

Not sure when it happened or if it did. I'm assuming so since it is out of recieved at CCS and hit SFG.

On 5/20/2022 at 6:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

To be fair, a book with a 1” colour-breaking crease is not a NM-/9.2

Okay, I looked back at my scan for that 9.2 book.  It was an ASM 361 and the color breaking crease was probably about 1/2" not an inch.  I would still contend that 1) a 9.2 is an appropriate grade for this book as there were no other major flaws, and 2) I have seen many books graded recently at 9.0 or worse with flaws that are not as bad as this crease.  I mean c'mon, a 9.2 isn't a great grade, but it not horrible either.  But throw a 9.0 or worse on a modern book and it is just a really bad grade and will pretty much render the book worthless.  I'm okay with true defects lowering grades, but bends and other pressable defects should not have this effect IMHO.

image.png.485fb9e13765e4d4448cefd4275bbfdc.png

On 5/20/2022 at 11:32 PM, Jemin said:

Not sure when it happened or if it did. I'm assuming so since it is out of recieved at CCS and hit SFG.

Your Eastman books are now SFG?