• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

On 5/23/2022 at 7:21 PM, JollyComics said:

Wondered why many super nice books are ended up at 8.5 or 9.0 instead of 9.4 to 9.8.  Maybe the graders bet each other for being fast graders.  Just a theory.

I want to say I agree with this as my last 25book submission all the high $$ moderns came back 9.6's or worse. Case in point I sent in 3- X-men#19 John Tyler Christopher color variants Green, Red and White which is the more expensive the first 2 9.8's and of course the White a 9.6 absolutely nothing wrong with this book. Same with Vader#3 perfect book came back 9.6 and a Kanan #1 came back a 9.2 it's perfect and of course NO notes. 

On 5/23/2022 at 6:29 PM, Stefan_W said:

Doesn't bother me in the least. People need breaks (if that is the case), and a week or two either way doesn't make a difference to me when I am submitting books. 

I think there is more to it than that. It could be the case where submissions are divided between 3 separate groups of graders. Group 1 and 2 continue to grade the books in front of them, while Group 3 is pulled to help out with Signature Series submissions. By the time they come back to their original stack, a month has gone by.

On 5/24/2022 at 6:57 AM, billsid said:

I want to say I agree with this as my last 25book submission all the high $$ moderns came back 9.6's or worse. Case in point I sent in 3- X-men#19 John Tyler Christopher color variants Green, Red and White which is the more expensive the first 2 9.8's and of course the White a 9.6 absolutely nothing wrong with this book. Same with Vader#3 perfect book came back 9.6 and a Kanan #1 came back a 9.2 it's perfect and of course NO notes. 

Just got back my last 2 modern submissions. The first one was graded somewhat tough, but nothing too egregious. I received 12 - 9.8's and a bunch of 9.4's and 9.6's. The next submission, which went through the quick G/E/I to shipped grading process only had 3 9.8's, with the rest of the books ranging from 8.5 to 9.6. After careful inspection, even if CGC grading was tough, the results should've been the same as the first submission. I'll go back to what I've said before, these new lightning fast graders are grading 80's and 90's books like they were published within the past 5 years. They want perfectly centered books with flat spines for 9.8's. I noticed that any book that had a slight cover miss-wrap, automatically received a 9.6 or lower grade. Same thing with miss-cuts. I've had plenty of 9.8 books in my collection with these production type issues. I also received a couple of 8.5's with "light spine stress line" designations. I carefully went back and inspected these books with various type of lighting and can barely notice a very minor non color breaking spine stress line. In the past this would be an easy 9.6.

Going back to these new graders. My gut tells me that as they speed through the process, their mindset is that I'd rather give a lower grade than potentially miss something and slab the book as a 9.8. They'll be like "hey, this book looks flawless upon initial inspection, but I'm sure there's some defect I'm missing, so I'll just give it a 9.6.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, skybolt said:

I also received a couple of 8.5's with "light spine stress line" designations. I carefully went back and inspected these books with various type of lighting and can barely notice a very minor non color breaking spine stress line. In the past this would be an easy 9.6.

These are the ones that the most frustrating.  Books that should grade 9.6 or at a stretch 9.4 that are coming back as 8.5 or 9.0.  When I compare some of these books vs some of my Silver and Bronze age books that graded out 9.0 - 9.4 it just doesn't add up.  Heck, if they want to go this insanely strict route then I would posit that there are no books pre-1970 that would even grade 9.0.  Maybe even pre-1980.  But then again, its not every submission that gets graded so harshly, which just adds to the confusion.  I know that when I get one of these harsh graders then I've effectively thrown away around 2/3's of the money spent for that submission as I'll either need to CPR the books or just sell them at a loss.

I've mentioned this before in this thread of my latest 25 book submission the one book that irks me the most is my Infinity Gauntlet 1 should be a 9.8 but was graded a 9.2 for a "crease center back cover"  which it doesn't have but I'm assuming they are referring to the production error as seen in the pic below. I've sent this off to CGC asking about this and they are checking with grading about it supposedly.

IGPIC.jpg

On 5/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, billsid said:

I've mentioned this before in this thread of my latest 25 book submission the one book that irks me the most is my Infinity Gauntlet 1 should be a 9.8 but was graded a 9.2 for a "crease center back cover"  which it doesn't have but I'm assuming they are referring to the production error as seen in the pic below. I've sent this off to CGC asking about this and they are checking with grading about it supposedly.

IGPIC.jpg

Good for you. These new graders that have no clue what production errors / defects are need to be called out. Like I mentioned above, it has now expanded to books with slight miss-wraps and miss-cuts.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:06 AM, eastriver31400 said:

This worries me. I have a modern from 1977 being graded now. If they are going by truly modern book standards I am screwed. 

I think you should be fine. I'm mostly seeing this with large quantity slow modern submissions (no pre-screening or fast track).

On 5/24/2022 at 10:27 AM, Banroy Clothing said:

How do you prove production errors on books from the 90s? (shrug)

This is what submitters rely on CGC on. Over the past 20 years they've done a fairly good job understanding what are recurring production errors and grading the books accordingly.

With respect to the Infinity Gauntlet 1, you can easily peruse EBay and see plenty of 9.8 graded copies with the same production issue.

Edited by skybolt

On 5/24/2022 at 11:35 AM, skybolt said:

This is what submitters rely on CGC on. Over the past 20 years they've done a fairly good job understanding what are recurring production errors and grading the books accordingly.

With respect to the Infinity Gauntlet 1, you can easily peruse EBay and see plenty of 9.8 graded copies with the same production issue.

exactly

On 5/24/2022 at 6:57 AM, billsid said:

Welcome to the club. I have had some really mind boggling results with books from the 80's and 90's getting hit hard, especially when there was a lack of issues with the books. I don't know what to do with my UCX221, that came back as a 9.4 and I know the book is in 9.6-9.8 territory. I've had others come back even as low as 8.0, which makes me wonder what the grader was thinking especially when there are no notes at all.

I had 2 Vader #1s submitted with the same exact issues, one came back as a 9.0 and the other as a 9.6. I'm like WTF, LOL! Then my Vader #3, which had some light color rub in the back ends up with a 9.0. I cut my losses on it and put it up for sale and then purchased a 9.8 from one of the FB shows. Who has time to keep playing this game that CGC has created.

It is stuff like this that makes me shake my head at this process as it is overall the place with no consistency. I know that grading is subjective, but when you swing from one direction to the other where the grades are so low it doesn't help. Honestly, not everything can be a 9.6 and 9.8, but come on with some of these grades.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:35 AM, skybolt said:

I think this is part of the problem. Many of us do rely on CGC to know and understand what the production errors are for when they grade, yet these new people just have no clue. I have a Wolverine #1 (88) that came back from CGC 9.4 and it had a miswrap with very light spine stress in 2 places that isn't even noticeable. This book could have easily hit a 9.6 or even a 9.8, yet here we are. It's like some of these slightly bigger books, I have to send them in via Express or Walkthrough so they can get graded properly.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:52 AM, captainzombie said:

Welcome to the club. I have had some really mind boggling results with books from the 80's and 90's getting hit hard, especially when there was a lack of issues with the books. I don't know what to do with my UCX221, that came back as a 9.4 and I know the book is in 9.6-9.8 territory. I've had others come back even as low as 8.0, which makes me wonder what the grader was thinking especially when there are no notes at all.

I had 2 Vader #1s submitted with the same exact issues, one came back as a 9.0 and the other as a 9.6. I'm like WTF, LOL! Then my Vader #3, which had some light color rub in the back ends up with a 9.0. I cut my losses on it and put it up for sale and then purchased a 9.8 from one of the FB shows. Who has time to keep playing this game that CGC has created.

It is stuff like this that makes me shake my head at this process as it is overall the place with no consistency. I know that grading is subjective, but when you swing from one direction to the other where the grades are so low it doesn't help. Honestly, not everything can be a 9.6 and 9.8, but come on with some of these grades.

Agreed. If this only happened on 5 -10 percent of my submissions, I'd be tempted to crack and resub and take the $25 hit to achieve a higher grade. However, since this is happening on 1/3 of my submissions, there's a 33% chance that I'm flushing another $25 per book down the toilet. 

Edited by skybolt