• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,967 posts in this topic

On 5/24/2022 at 9:09 AM, billsid said:

I've mentioned this before in this thread of my latest 25 book submission the one book that irks me the most is my Infinity Gauntlet 1 should be a 9.8 but was graded a 9.2 for a "crease center back cover"  which it doesn't have but I'm assuming they are referring to the production error as seen in the pic below. I've sent this off to CGC asking about this and they are checking with grading about it supposedly.

IGPIC.jpg

I once submitted a batch of 25 copies of this book, all with this issue, and all 25 got 9.8.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:46 PM, skybolt said:

The old model of submitting books to CGC certainly doesn't work for me anymore. In the past I was pretty accurate with books I was confident would come back as 9.8. Worst case scenario, I'd get a bunch of 9.6's for books on the fence and a 1 or 2 9.4's sprinkled in there, which was still frustrating. These days (on certain submissions) I'm getting 9.0's on books I was 100% sure would come back as 9.8. Again, I could easily chalk it up to me losing my ability to grade, if 2/3 of my submissions weren't still coming back with grades I expected.

It's definitely not a loss in your ability to grade. Somehow the bar has shifted without any notice. I have been submitting for a LONG time as well and haven't sent in one book this year for fear of inconsistent grading and bad quality control. TAT is a separate issue, but the other two are inexcusable. I thought it was me as well. I've cracked 8.5 to 9.2 books that have been professionally cleaned and pressed by a VERY reputable presser and ones I've done myself. Issues like "light bend to cover" which are completely nonexistent when inspecting the book....... That bend isn't there!!!!! it's maddening to pay for a service without any rhyme or reason. I just cant justify the cost until something gives. TAT has always been an issue especially when looking to sell the submissions. But some of these 1 year plus TAT's are way out of control. I'm really concerned that I don't see CGC doing anything about the problems.........

On 5/24/2022 at 10:58 AM, captainzombie said:

I think this is part of the problem. Many of us do rely on CGC to know and understand what the production errors are for when they grade, yet these new people just have no clue. I have a Wolverine #1 (88) that came back from CGC 9.4 and it had a miswrap with very light spine stress in 2 places that isn't even noticeable. This book could have easily hit a 9.6 or even a 9.8, yet here we are. It's like some of these slightly bigger books, I have to send them in via Express or Walkthrough so they can get graded properly.

It sort of seems like some of these new graders have taken CGC orientation to extremes regarding CCS being able to press out certain defects. As soon as they see a small non color breaking spine crease, which can only seen at a certain  angle, they knock it down to a 9.0 so you are forced to press it out.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:09 AM, billsid said:

I've mentioned this before in this thread of my latest 25 book submission the one book that irks me the most is my Infinity Gauntlet 1 should be a 9.8 but was graded a 9.2 for a "crease center back cover"  which it doesn't have but I'm assuming they are referring to the production error as seen in the pic below. I've sent this off to CGC asking about this and they are checking with grading about it supposedly.

IGPIC.jpg

That's what I think how they handle the books at CGC.

On 5/22/2022 at 8:05 AM, iae21 said:

Because of the extreme mixed messaging from CGC customer service reps, I'll ask all of you....

Let's say in the case above, my Economy Tier books were received in October 2021.  At that time Economy Tier is 137 business day.  However, today, Economy Tier is 223 days.

Should my expectations for turnaround times be based the TAT from when the books were first received, or current TAT?  

Current TAT time. I know it is disheartening, but as the current TAT shifts farther out so does yours.

On 5/24/2022 at 10:26 AM, skybolt said:

Good for you. These new graders that have no clue what production errors / defects are need to be called out. Like I mentioned above, it has now expanded to books with slight miss-wraps and miss-cuts.

I was snubbed twice for that job even I have 40+ years of experience.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:05 AM, skybolt said:

It sort of seems like some of these new graders have taken CGC orientation to extremes regarding CCS being able to press out certain defects. As soon as they see a small non color breaking spine crease, which can only seen at a certain  angle, they knock it down to a 9.0 so you are forced to press it out.

Or add the printer cut in a corner which is normal for a certain set of books, yet they still ding you for it. Something does have to give here at some point. I have one more order I plan to submit in the next week since I have already pressed and cleaned more than half the books and was going to do one more, but I will be probably taking a break from sending books in for a bit because this is getting crazy with the inconsistent grading.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:05 AM, irishcritic said:

It's definitely not a loss in your ability to grade. Somehow the bar has shifted without any notice. I have been submitting for a LONG time as well and haven't sent in one book this year for fear of inconsistent grading and bad quality control. TAT is a separate issue, but the other two are inexcusable. I thought it was me as well. I've cracked 8.5 to 9.2 books that have been professionally cleaned and pressed by a VERY reputable presser and ones I've done myself. Issues like "light bend to cover" which are completely nonexistent when inspecting the book....... That bend isn't there!!!!! it's maddening to pay for a service without any rhyme or reason. I just cant justify the cost until something gives. TAT has always been an issue especially when looking to sell the submissions. But some of these 1 year plus TAT's are way out of control. I'm really concerned that I don't see CGC doing anything about the problems.........

Unfortunately, I don't think they're too bothered with this. Currently they have enough submissions coming out of their ears to last them a long time. If certain graders are grading harshly then that could just mean more business via CCS pressing or straight resubs. If 2 years down the line the well is drying up again, they'll go back to giving out 9.8 grades like candy. This was the case 2 years ago during the pandemic where I was batting 1000% with my submissions.

On 5/24/2022 at 12:11 PM, captainzombie said:

Or add the printer cut in a corner which is normal for a certain set of books, yet they still ding you for it. Something does have to give here at some point. I have one more order I plan to submit in the next week since I have already pressed and cleaned more than half the books and was going to do one more, but I will be probably taking a break from sending books in for a bit because this is getting crazy with the inconsistent grading.

Hopefully someone at CGC is taking notice of this board.  The fact that so many people are complaining about inconsistent grading is a sign of a very big problem.  Maybe there is some pecking order based on volume of submissions where higher volume guys get the good graders and the little guys get screwed.  Maybe they don't want that business, who knows.  I have been looking over at the CBCS boards too.  Their TATs were always worse, but now they have a guaranteed express service which is currently running at 14 business days and $36/book for books from 1975-present...

On 5/24/2022 at 12:39 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Just had an order hit Grading/Quality control. 

Does it usually hit shipped the next day? Any chance it will hit shipped tonight?

These days it typically ships the same day after hitting Grading / QC

On 5/23/2022 at 2:24 PM, Stefan_W said:

Modern slow track group of 25 received on 24 March 2022, just flipped to G/E/I 23 May 2022. 

Modern slow track group of 25:

Received - 24 March 2022

G/E/I - 23 May 2022

Quality Control - 24 May 2022

On 5/24/2022 at 1:39 PM, eastriver31400 said:

Just had an order hit Grading/Quality control. 

Does it usually hit shipped the next day? Any chance it will hit shipped tonight?

I have found that if it hits QC in the AM it is the same day, but if it is in the afternoon (and especially late afternoon) it is shipped the next day. Either way it is really close :) 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:14 PM, Petroman said:

2 months soup to nuts -- not bad at all.  Hopefully you fared well on the grading front!

My predictions were bang on for about half the books. Had a couple of pleasant surprises, and then about a half dozen that were low but only by a step or so. Only 2 books really puzzled me but I could have just missed something since the others seem fair enough to me. 

On 5/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, Stefan_W said:

Shipped 24 May 2022

They actually marked it shipped 25 May so it will probably go out tomorrow even though it is done. Makes sense since this was completed half way through the afternoon. 

On 5/24/2022 at 2:34 PM, Stefan_W said:

They actually marked it shipped 25 May so it will probably go out tomorrow even though it is done. Makes sense since this was completed half way through the afternoon. 

well typically, I think that the shipping carrier is at noon eastern or thereabouts (thumbsu

Glad it was marked shipped, so you can sneak a peek :) 

Still, usually afternoon marked shipped goes out next morning, I could be wrong, but that has been my experience.

On 5/24/2022 at 2:36 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

well typically, I think that the shipping carrier is at noon eastern or thereabouts (thumbsu

Glad it was marked shipped, so you can sneak a peek :) 

Still, usually afternoon marked shipped goes out next morning, I could be wrong, but that has been my experience.

which is odd because even though it'll go out tomorrow, "tracking" won't pick up until tomorrow evening. idk why but seems to be often that way (thumbsu