• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

27,009 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, iae21 said:

I just got back some Standard Tier books, all were CPR candidates.  All of them came back with lower grades that what they were originally slabbed with...

I highly suggest that unless people are doing pre-screens.... prepare to be severely disappointed.

To be clear...

You resubbed slabs to be clean & pressed at CCS, and the grades went down?

On 5/26/2022 at 10:09 PM, captainzombie said:

I got my latest batch of books back. Here is a good example of my West Coast Avengers 94 scoring an 8.5, and I shake my head. The only issues I can really see here is the staples are a bit pushed into the spine, but that would be more of a manufacturing defect.

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

No notes?

On 5/26/2022 at 9:09 PM, captainzombie said:

I got my latest batch of books back. Here is a good example of my West Coast Avengers 94 scoring an 8.5, and I shake my head. The only issues I can really see here is the staples are a bit pushed into the spine, but that would be more of a manufacturing defect.

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

Maybe CGC decided to follow MCS grading guides. MCS is famous for conversate grade for years.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:12 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No notes?

None at all. My last several orders of books have had no notes at all. I even had a walkthrough of late that had no notes, and those usually get notes due to the premium cost.

I was kind of expecting a 9.8 with this book, but if it even got a 9.4-9.6 that would have been acceptable due to the issues that I thought could be a problem for the grader. For this book to get an 8.5 is a total slap in the face and a waste of a customers time and money.

Edited by captainzombie

On 5/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, captainzombie said:

None at all. My last several orders of books have had no notes at all. I even had a walkthrough of late that had no notes, and those usually get notes due to the premium cost.

Utterly ridiculous.  This has been become a bad joke and we are all the stooges.  How can that book be an 8.5?  How?  And no notes?  According to their website:

"Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible."

We need accountability here.  Who were the graders and what were the individual grades entered from which a consensus was reached.  I will posit there is a 0.0% chance that multiple graders are looking at each book and coming up with the same horrible grades.  If they are not using multiple graders per book then they are guilty of false advertising as we have paid for this service.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:27 PM, The Meta said:

Then there's this gem

Post dimple just above the R and not sure where the spine waves came from

20211216_134149.jpg

20211216_134118.jpg

20211216_134128.jpg

That is wild, you only have 1 small issue there and this book gets hit so hard.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:23 PM, The Meta said:

This book is a mystery, figured 9.2 at worst, had expected 9.6

20220210_184059.jpg

How is the back of your book though?

On 5/26/2022 at 9:39 PM, Petroman said:

Utterly ridiculous.  This has been become a bad joke and we are all the stooges.  How can that book be an 8.5?  How?  And no notes?  According to their website:

"Grading is a team effort, with multiple CGC professionals examining every collectible to ensure accuracy and consistency. CGC's graders enter a grade for each collectible into CGC's computer system. A consensus is then reached on the final grade of the collectible."

We need accountability here.  Who were the graders and what were the individual grades entered from which a consensus was reached.  I will posit there is a 0.0% chance that multiple graders are looking at each book and coming up with the same horrible grades.  If they are not using multiple graders per book then they are guilty of false advertising as we have paid for this service.

I just do not get any of this at all. I have several more books like this and I have submitted roughly 115 books to be graded over the course of the last few months. I can see where a 9.6 and 9.8 set of books may not get notes, but books at 9.4 and under should always have some kind of notes as to why the books were graded the way they were.

If grading was a team effort over there, half of these issues would not be passing through as they are.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:09 PM, captainzombie said:

IMG_3122.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3124.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3127.jpg

IMG_3128.jpg

The staple pushed into the spine has knocked a couple of my books from 9.8 to 9.0.

I just got back a modern submission today and again it went from G/E/I to Shipped in a matter of hours. 12 - 9.8's, 7 - 9.6, 1 - 9.4, 2 - 9.2's, 1 - 9.0 and 2 - 8.5's. Not horrible grades, but I was upset my Newsstand Uncanny X-Men #275 came back a 9.6. That book was flawless. I'll give an update once I have the books in hand.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:53 PM, skybolt said:

The staple pushed into the spine has knocked a couple of my books from 9.8 to 9.0.

I just got back a modern submission today and again it went from G/E/I to Shipped in a matter of hours. 12 - 9.8's, 7 - 9.6, 1 - 9.4, 2 - 9.2's, 1 - 9.0 and 2 - 8.5's. Not horrible grades, but I was upset my Newsstand Uncanny X-Men #275 came back a 9.6. That book was flawless. I'll give an update once I have the books in hand.

That is quite the grade drop for staple push. Ugh!!!!

You will have to let us know once you get your books back.

While I wait on these to be graded I have been reading through this thread and the QC thread to try to make myself feel better… it’s not working. Meanwhile, I had a thought… I wonder if the graders are harsh to account, in advance. for the damage that their coworkers will do to the book during slabbing/QC?  (That’s only sort of a joke)

B06E378A-9938-4CB6-8B2E-45E42A8A3D05.jpeg.3026241ec2369ea8f44ac4eb4274ccf3.jpeg

This submission was received by CCS June 2021…

On 5/26/2022 at 8:17 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

To be clear...

You resubbed slabs to be clean & pressed at CCS, and the grades went down?

I never once mentioned CCS in any of my posts (to be clear)....they were done by a well-known indy presser that shall remain nameless.   

To note, I never ever had CPR's downgraded like this consistently.  If anything I had a book or two come back the same grade.  

On 5/26/2022 at 10:34 PM, Iconic1s said:

While I wait on these to be graded I have been reading through this thread and the QC thread to try to make myself feel better… it’s not working. Meanwhile, I had a thought… I wonder if the graders are harsh to account, in advance. for the damage that their coworkers will do to the book during slabbing/QC?  (That’s only sort of a joke)

B06E378A-9938-4CB6-8B2E-45E42A8A3D05.jpeg.3026241ec2369ea8f44ac4eb4274ccf3.jpeg

This submission was received by CCS June 2021…

What date in June?  It’s about 330 days.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:42 AM, iae21 said:

To note, I never ever had CPR's downgraded like this consistently.  If anything I had a book or two come back the same grade.  

Just a thought, maybe if CGC discovers a book has not cleaned and pressed by CCS but by someone else they deduct for non professional pressing and cleaning? CGC must see all the comments about people personally pressing their own books on this forum. Just spitballing. Are people pressing their own books a new thing or has this trend been going on for some time????

Edited by ak47po