• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 9:23 AM, captainzombie said:

Totally agree with you on this. They can't for a period of 6 months to 1 year grade a bit on the loose side, and then decide well it is time to grade very harsh for another 6 months to 1 year and then change course again. Some of this has to be due to these new graders taking CGC guidelines to the extreme. I feel like that comes off as market manipulation.

I can send a book in with 1 flaw, which technically should be at a 9.8 since you rarely see a 9.9 or 10.0. If they are deducting by a .1 or .5 basis for each issue with 1 flaw you should be around 9.8, yet books like that either get a 9.6, 9.4, 9.2 or even less than the 9.0 depending on who is doing the grading.

Then it irritates me with the books from the 80's and 90's, it has turned into a guess game on your grades with these books and expect to probably get the worst grade possible.

Agreed. I think what bothers me the most is getting dinged for production type defects. If I sent in a book with a small spine stress line expecting a 9.6/9.8, and it comes back a 9.4, I can live with that. On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to get a 9.0 grade on a book like Batman #497 or Amazing Spider-Man #400 where the die cut cover creates an indentation within the inner cover. Even if you get this pressed out, it'll still revert back to its original form once the die cut cover presses up against the book again. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:05 PM, skybolt said:

Agreed. I think what bothers me the most is getting dinged for production type defects. If I sent in a book with a small spine stress line expecting a 9.6/9.8, and it comes back a 9.4, I can live with that. On the other hand, I don't think it's fair to get a 9.0 grade on a book like Batman #497 or Amazing Spider-Man #400 where the die cut cover creates an indentation within the inner cover. Even if you get this pressed out, it'll still revert back to its original form once the die cut cover presses up against the book again. 

On 5/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, captainzombie said:

Totally agree with you on this. They can't for a period of 6 months to 1 year grade a bit on the loose side, and then decide well it is time to grade very harsh for another 6 months to 1 year and then change course again. Some of this has to be due to these new graders taking CGC guidelines to the extreme. I feel like that comes off as market manipulation.

I can send a book in with 1 flaw, which technically should be at a 9.8 since you rarely see a 9.9 or 10.0. If they are deducting by a .1 or .5 basis for each issue with 1 flaw you should be around 9.8, yet books like that either get a 9.6, 9.4, 9.2 or even less than the 9.0 depending on who is doing the grading.

Then it irritates me with the books from the 80's and 90's, it has turned into a guess game on your grades with these books and expect to probably get the worst grade possible.

Skybolt and Captainzombie very well ACCURATE thought processes...you guys understand:goodvsevil:...A+++

On 5/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, captainzombie said:

Its really a complete mess.  These grading inconsistencies have effectively bifurcated the recently graded MODERN market into two camps:  approximately 2/3 are properly graded and the remaining 1/3 is under graded.  I guess it does create some buying opportunities if you know what to look for:

1. certification numbers starting with 39 or 40 (maybe even 38 or earlier, haven't done enough research)
  2. grader notes that indicate things like light bends, polybag bends/creases, i.e. completely pressable defects.  The absence of notes on books graded 9.2 or less is probably also indicative of a new grader giving harsh grades.

Now at least with the free CGC lookup you can get the grader notes, if any, for free.  You can also see all of the other books in the submission by just tweaking the final one or two number.  This definitely gives you insight into whether it was a harshly graded submission.  

On 5/26/2022 at 9:56 AM, gadzukes said:

My "Standard" Sub just moved to GEI today

Received 5/18/22 - Status GEI 5/26/22

That was fast.

Should be fast, considering the cost. My one comic submission with custom label and USPS return shipping is $125. Plus $15-30 for insured USPS Priority. My last standard tier submission of two comics was $200+, with about a month TAT out and back. 

On 5/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, joeypost said:

So...........I am going to ask again. Is anyone, anywhere at any time getting any economy books back? For those who have gotten economy books back, when was the submission date? 

Has anyone even replied from July 2021?

You have some books of mine, I have a race in my head between the 8/12 economy and a few standard tier books you have of mine...will you get those done, to cgc and will they get them back to me before the 8/12 economy? It's a race, maybe cgc will see this and get those econ done to win the race and revel in victory? (I am fine with your TATs, not complaining in any way, they get done when they are done.)

Edited by Bird

On 5/26/2022 at 2:53 PM, joeypost said:

So...........I am going to ask again. Is anyone, anywhere at any time getting any economy books back? For those who have gotten economy books back, when was the submission date? 

My Jul 26, 2021 delivered, Jul 27 2021 received 1 book slow-track no-CSS economy submission was shipped back to me on Mar 11, 2022.  I don't recall seeing a later delivered and/or received submission being completed.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:04 PM, Still Only 20¢ said:

My Jul 26, 2021 delivered, Jul 27 2021 received 1 book slow-track no-CSS economy submission was shipped back to me on Mar 11, 2022.  I don't recall seeing a later delivered and/or received submission being completed.

@CGC Mike it appears from evidence presented here on boards, which obviously is only a sample, that no movement in economy tier for 50+ working days. :facepalm: Again the complaint is not necessarily the TAT but the silence, misleading answers and dead stop for this tier only for 2.5 months now

On 5/26/2022 at 4:10 PM, Bird said:

@CGC Mike it appears from evidence presented here on boards, which obviously is only a sample, that no movement in economy tier for 50+ working days. :facepalm: Again the complaint is not necessarily the TAT but the silence, misleading answers and dead stop for this tier only for 2.5 months now

I really hope that for all of you guys waiting 9 months for ECONOMY books that they do not switch things up and allow the new graders to grade your books.  I shudder to think what kinds of grades they would give on ECONOMY books.  My guess would be nothing higher than a 5.0.

Edited by Petroman

On 5/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Petroman said:

I really hope that for all of you guys waiting 9 months for ECONOMY books that they do not switch things up and allow the new graders to grade your books.  I shudder to think what kinds of grades they would give on ECONOMY books.  My guess would be nothing higher than a 5.0.

I have Kang, Silver Surfer and new team of X-Men there to prevent such happenings.

On 5/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Petroman said:

They would return swiftly for review. 

On 5/26/2022 at 5:49 PM, joeypost said:

They would return swiftly for review. 

I just got back some Standard Tier books, all were CPR candidates.  All of them came back with lower grades that what they were originally slabbed with...

I highly suggest that unless people are doing pre-screens.... prepare to be severely disappointed.

On 5/26/2022 at 6:12 PM, iae21 said:

I just got back some Standard Tier books, all were CPR candidates.  All of them came back with lower grades that what they were originally slabbed with...

I highly suggest that unless people are doing pre-screens.... prepare to be severely disappointed.

Wow, that is really scary.  I don't really see how that could be possible across an entire submission of CPR'ed books.  Have you compared the grader notes before and after?  Would be curious to see how they differ.  So far we've heard of lots of folks having issues with MODERN tier books and undergrading.  This is the first I've seen for STANDARD tier.  Scary as it could imply that inexperienced graders are now grading these more valuable books.  Or maybe its just that CGC has moved the goal posts and you can no longer trust grades to be pretty consistent over time.  That would be really, really bad.

Total anecdote but that last two Standard submissions I've got back I felt were total gift grades.  One I thought was a definite GD- and it hit VG-.  The other I thought was GD+ and got a VG.  

Maybe helps the theory that some graders are WAY more lenient than others.