• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

On 5/25/2022 at 2:40 PM, skybolt said:

1 year and 2 months for me. :(

So, I guess I still have a bit, which is OK. The interesting part is that when I got refunded the difference in a pressing overcharge from the June price change, they told me they were working on books "received" June 1.  That phone call/email exchange was April 25.  My books were delivered on May 3 but "received" June 21.  So I figured maybe in a few weeks.  Hopefully they are getting close to your books.  Now I'm wondering if I have to renew in order to get my books graded as my membership is up at the end of the month.  :tonofbricks:

On 5/25/2022 at 12:40 PM, ak47po said:

9.0 HUH?

2037264892_Screenshot(50).png111.png.cf7dcb9c5998c166737d2b552d1288e3.png

Yes, I got the dreaded polybag crease on 3 books from my last MFT submission.  Took what should have been a 9.8, 9.6 at worst, and dropped them into the 8.5 to 9.0 range, for a "defect" that you can't even see through the slab.  So basically rendered a book with a resale value of $150-$300 into something pretty much worthless.  Of course the only course of action is to try to sell the book for maybe what it cost to grade, $45 all in or so, or CPR it.  I'll probably do the latter, but its very disappointing as now I've already wasted $135 on these books.  

On 5/25/2022 at 1:50 PM, thingsofstuff said:

So, I guess I still have a bit, which is OK. The interesting part is that when I got refunded the difference in a pressing overcharge from the June price change, they told me they were working on books "received" June 1.  That phone call/email exchange was April 25.  My books were delivered on May 3 but "received" June 21.  So I figured maybe in a few weeks.  Hopefully they are getting close to your books.  Now I'm wondering if I have to renew in order to get my books graded as my membership is up at the end of the month.  :tonofbricks:

I hate to say this, but both of our submissions are likely buried under a mountain of other submissions, which were received before the price change last year. They could find them tomorrow or it could easily be another 4 to 5 months before they see the light of day.

My 3/7/22 received SMT just went into G/E/I. Here's hoping the books don't go into Grading/QC until early next week. If they switch to shipped in the next couple of hours I better brace myself for a bunch of 9.6/9.8 books graded as 8.5/9.0.

On 5/22/2022 at 7:39 PM, Petroman said:

Great, so we've learned:

1. This is your first submission in 2 years.
  2. It was opened the day it was physically delivered to CGC.
  3. It was immediately moved to Scheduled for Grading (SFG).

So what tier did you submit under?  Was the box marked in any specific way to make the people at CGC open it in favor of other boxes?  Was it hand delivered or shipped via a volume carrier like UPS, FEDEX, USPS? 

Many people on this forum are trying to glean what might be happening to submissions they have made many months ago so the more specific you can be the better.

Modern non FT, USPS Priority. Box was marked with my order #. Hope that helps! Sounds like they are finally starting to catch up.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:31 PM, thingsofstuff said:

Did you have these pressed with CCS?  Also was this Slow or FT?

I have an order with CCS for a year now and I'm just trying to gauge where I may be in line.  Thanks.

No CCS, pressed them myself.Slow boat no FT. Recieved 3/28/22. Shipped 5/25/22.

On 5/25/2022 at 3:30 PM, skybolt said:

My 3/7/22 received SMT just went into G/E/I. Here's hoping the books don't go into Grading/QC until early next week. If they switch to shipped in the next couple of hours I better brace myself for a bunch of 9.6/9.8 books graded as 8.5/9.0.

Mine went from G/E/I on 5/24/22 at 2:00pm straight to shipped by 12:00 pm today.

On 5/25/2022 at 2:12 PM, Petroman said:

Yes, I got the dreaded polybag crease on 3 books from my last MFT submission.  Took what should have been a 9.8, 9.6 at worst, and dropped them into the 8.5 to 9.0 range, for a "defect" that you can't even see through the slab.  So basically rendered a book with a resale value of $150-$300 into something pretty much worthless.  Of course the only course of action is to try to sell the book for maybe what it cost to grade, $45 all in or so, or CPR it.  I'll probably do the latter, but its very disappointing as now I've already wasted $135 on these books.  

8.5-90 seems a very fair grade for a polybag crease. Would you rather it be a 9.8 with a crease down the back cover? 

On 5/25/2022 at 5:09 PM, cd4ever said:

8.5-90 seems a very fair grade for a polybag crease. Would you rather it be a 9.8 with a crease down the back cover? 

You obviously have not had a book with this "defect".  The so-called crease is non-color breaking and only visible if you hold the book at a certain angle.  If you did not know the book was a poly bagged book you would never even look for this "crease".  Personally I think a crease is something that is something that breaks color and cannot be pressed out.  These "creases" are at best bends.  And yeah, I know that these new graders are hammering books for bends too.  I will reiterate my stance that pressable defects should not be treated the same as color breaking defects.  As other have posited its possible that CGC has started treating these pressable defects as more severe than they are to sell more CCS services, although with their 1+ year backlog I find it hard to believe they want more CCS business.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, cd4ever said:

I've had the same issue with X Force #1. I always get those pressed before grading.

On 5/25/2022 at 8:59 AM, ak47po said:

On the Tats page the " Now opening CGC comics packages delivered the week of ____ is missing this morning? Does this mean CGC is finally caught up on most submissions?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Screenshot (47).png

Yes, it's totally possible that they are caught up.  When I checked the TAT page late yesterday or earlier today, I think the notice indicated packages were being opened from just a couple of days ago.  So that would indicate to me they are caught up.  Which is really great, because maybe then those package-opening resources can be used to speed up other areas of the process (e.g. encapsulation).  

On 5/26/2022 at 8:15 AM, gregwynn said:

If you select labels they stay in G/E/I longer than no labels for some reason. Had an Express book with label take 2 weeks to get through G/E/I to shipped where a Modern took about 3 days. 

Which may indicate where the focus is now. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:42 AM, skybolt said:

The last 10 minutes of this video is exactly how many of us feel these days.

As of about 2 months ago i have noticed grades on moderns are 0.2 (especially if it is in 9.8 zone) to 0.6 lower than in past 2 years...undergrading can hurt the industry just as much as overgrading...submitters will be much more hesitant to send in now in my opinion...once this happens the pendulum will likely swing back to a more normal accepted standard level...the power of free markets is strong...

Does CCS move comics through the "tiers" like CGC does?  I submitted a "Standard Tier" comic to have resto removal (it had a tiny bit of CT that I want taken off) and I was wondering if it'll move through CCS at a faster clip since it's a Standard Tier.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:27 AM, pirog said:

As of about 2 months ago i have noticed grades on moderns are 0.2 (especially if it is in 9.8 zone) to 0.6 lower than in past 2 years...undergrading can hurt the industry just as much as overgrading...submitters will be much more hesitant to send in now in my opinion...once this happens the pendulum will likely swing back to a more normal accepted standard level...the power of free markets is strong...

I would at least understand CGC's approach if they overgraded books during slower times and undergraded when they are flooded with submissions. At least this approach forces the market to adjust for that time period. However, when 2/3 of submissions are still being graded per past standards, it becomes a quality issue for CGC for the remaining 1/3. If they wanted to grade books harshly then it needs to be across the board and not just based on certain graders. Consistency is key.

Edited by skybolt