• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

I was surprised to have scans sent to me at 8:45 on a Sat. morning this past weekend.

I think it's important to remember that management and employees are two different groups of people and the team that is in there 5 or 6 days a week, pulling long hours and struggling to keep up are not responsible for the decision making that management needs to bear the brunt of the criticism for.

It's not the grader's fault, the encapsulator's fault or admin's fault that TAT's are slow.

Just an important distinction that needs to be made.

To further the point the volumes could have a direct negative impact on the production line staff. Regardless if you are manufacturing cars, grading comics or producing widgets there are human nature elements that are in play when evaluating the accuracy and efficiency of a process. With the obvious backlog all graders and associated staff know this and must feel the pressure to “knock the work out” (a scary proposition considering the care we all want them to have with our books and their grading).

I can tell you that in my business a huge backlog, although sometimes welcomed, if perpetual can lead first to overwhelming stress and eventually to discouragement and burn-out among staff. Obviously these feelings could impact the quality of the output. So not only is there risk to losing customers with an unending backlog, but there is a huge potential for a stressful work environment that can lead to staff turnover and a lower quality product.

Edited by Jazzno

How about offering 1 free submission for each week a book is late, bet you that would make them move a little quicker. :whatev:

Yeah, and slow everything else down even worse when people start cashing in.

If they get TATs back in-line more people would submit books, which would increase revenue. But submissions are obviously booming now even with horrible TATs, so there is very little that is going to work as a carrot/stick here. At the very least they don't need to implement any programs to increase submissions, because that is the least of their problems right now.

In any successful business, and CGC is a successful business, a company can only offer 3 things. A quality product/service, quick turnaround, and a low price. No company can actually remain in business by offering all 3, but 2 of the 3 criteria is what you should expect from a top notch company.
Really? There are NO companies in business offering all 3? Not sure I agree with you there.

Indeed.

Im actually curious to hear your examples.

I worked for an Auto Manufacturer for 10 years. Cost/Quality/Timing is how we gauged our product and all our projects. Our cars cost a little more, and we only produced as many as were needed (and sometimes people were waiting for one) but we went for quality as the priority. So our timing was a little off, our costs were a little higher than the lower end models, but our quality was very well regarded.

Right now I'd say CGC is all about the Quality, and is sacrificing Timing while trying to control costs. I think they know that if they increases costs to decrease timing they lose more customers than they gain (heck they kinda do that anyway with the differet submission tracks).

There have been competitors in the past who gave you a fast turn around at a competitive or lower cost. But the quality wasnt there. Or at least the market decided the quality wasnt there (based on adoption rates).

Since this business is built around quality details (details in comic grading accuracy/consistency, details in handling something valuable so it is not damaged) I cant imagine CGC tossing the Quality vector aside to decrease turnaround times (while keeping costs in check).

Right now I'd say CGC is all about the Quality, and is sacrificing Timing while trying to control costs. I think they know that if they increases costs to decrease timing they lose more customers than they gain (heck they kinda do that anyway with the different submission tracks).

There have been competitors in the past who gave you a fast turn around at a competitive or lower cost. But the quality wasn't there. Or at least the market decided the quality wasn't there (based on adoption rates).

Since this business is built around quality details (details in comic grading accuracy/consistency, details in handling something valuable so it is not damaged) I cant imagine CGC tossing the Quality vector aside to decrease turnaround times (while keeping costs in check).

lol

Edited by DrWatson

It's all about customer service, making the customer happy that makes a company great! :sumo:

FWIW, every time I have contacted CGC I have been greeted with a happy voice on the other end of the line. My emails have also been promptly responded to. From that standpoint, customer service is top notch. I'm always treated like my business is important, even though my submission is pitiful compared to some on these boards. In that regard their customer service is top notch, and worth my continued patronage.

I would suggest that you call and voice your opinions directly to them but one of you guys broke them

Phone system down

It was probably the rebound from not having to answer calls concerning Grader's Notes.

Or, their version of

"CGC has removed themself from this topic. "

Right now I'd say CGC is all about the Quality, and is sacrificing Timing while trying to control costs. I think they know that if they increases costs to decrease timing they lose more customers than they gain (heck they kinda do that anyway with the different submission tracks).

There have been competitors in the past who gave you a fast turn around at a competitive or lower cost. But the quality wasn't there. Or at least the market decided the quality wasn't there (based on adoption rates).

lol

Im not going to argue your right to disagree, or even laugh at me... but maybe a little substance behind your iconic assessment?

There are plenty of other comic book message boards out there, so if you aren't a satisfied CGC customer, don't use them, and head off to greener pastures to sow your message board oats.

In any successful business, and CGC is a successful business, a company can only offer 3 things. A quality product/service, quick turnaround, and a low price. No company can actually remain in business by offering all 3, but 2 of the 3 criteria is what you should expect from a top notch company.
Really? There are NO companies in business offering all 3? Not sure I agree with you there.
Rather than use the adjective "successful" for a 3rd time I left it out of the sentence you highlighted, but yes what I say is quite true in the key to a successful business. McDonalds offers speed and price while a better quality breakfast or burger can be found anywhere. DunkinDonuts give you quality and service however you can find cheaper coffee several places. Pretty much works for any successful biz, however there might be an exception.

Rather than use the adjective "successful" for a 3rd time I left it out of the sentence you highlighted, but yes what I say is quite true in the key to a successful business. McDonalds offers speed and price while a better quality breakfast or burger can be found anywhere. DunkinDonuts give you quality and service however you can find cheaper coffee several places. Pretty much works for any successful biz, however there might be an exception.

I agree. It's near impossible to beat all competitors on all 3, and if by some chance you are beating all competitors on all 3 fronts you can't maintain it for long because something somewhere is suffering for it.

It's all about customer service, making the customer happy that makes a company great! :sumo:

FWIW, every time I have contacted CGC I have been greeted with a happy voice on the other end of the line. My emails have also been promptly responded to. From that standpoint, customer service is top notch. I'm always treated like my business is important, even though my submission is pitiful compared to some on these boards. In that regard their customer service is top notch, and worth my continued patronage.

+1

lol

Im not going to argue your right to disagree, or even laugh at me... but maybe a little substance behind your iconic assessment?

There are plenty of other comic book message boards out there, so if you aren't a satisfied CGC customer, don't use them, and head off to greener pastures to sow your message board oats.

I would be happy to use someone else who offers a service comparable to the CGC, and since we all know that it isn't PGX, perhaps you might offer a recommendation.

I have already found an alternative to the Registry, so I'm basically sitting on G and waiting for O.

I would be happy to use someone else who offers a service comparable to the CGC, and since we all know that it isn't PGX, perhaps you might offer a recommendation.

I have already found an alternative to the Registry, so I'm basically sitting on G and waiting for O.

So you want the same (or better) quality, at the same price with a faster turn around time?

Or are you willing to pay more for faster and better?

Just wondering what your acceptable metric is...

So you want the same (or better) quality, at the same price with a faster turn around time?

My acceptable metric would be a grading service that runs their business like Richard Evans runs Bedrock City Comics, like Joe Grisolia runs CFP Comics, like Andrew Cretella runs GACollectibles, and like Dale Roberts runs Dale Roberts Comics. A business where everyone is treated professionally and with the same level of respect and courtesy. A business where if you have a problem they are working to an end where both the business and the customer are equally satisfied instead of admonished like a child in school or taunted with phrases such as, "Well, yeah, prove it." That would be my acceptable metric.

Right now I'd say CGC is all about the Quality, and is sacrificing Timing while trying to control costs. I think they know that if they increases costs to decrease timing they lose more customers than they gain (heck they kinda do that anyway with the differet submission tracks).

CGC is all about the $. It's a company. And they've increased costs and turnaround times and gained more customers than they've lost.

There have been competitors in the past who gave you a fast turn around at a competitive or lower cost. But the quality wasnt there. Or at least the market decided the quality wasnt there (based on adoption rates).

VHS - Betamax. The market didn't dictate the quality wasn't there with Betamax, it was actually better than VHS.

Hi-Def - Blu Ray. The market didn't choose Blu Ray for its superior quality.

Do you believe (and this is a genuine question) that 100% of slabs that leave CGC's facility are absolutely perfect? No bugs in the slab? No folded corners? No wrong labels? Every grade is absolutely bang-on?

My acceptable metric would be a grading service that runs their business like Richard Evans runs Bedrock City Comics, like Joe Grisolia runs CFP Comics, like Andrew Cretella runs GACollectibles, and like Dale Roberts runs Dale Roberts Comics. A business where everyone is treated professionally and with the same level of respect and courtesy. A business where if you have a problem they are working to an end where both the business and the customer are equally satisfied instead of admonished like a child in school or taunted with phrases such as, "Well, yeah, prove it." That would be my acceptable metric.

That's a weak response.

For one CGC has never come on and said "Well, yeah, prove it."

Second, Bedrock says that to me all the time.

Finally, none of them have awesome message boards where grown men can come on and act like children.

For starters, McDonalds hits all three.

McDonalds.

Play.com

The Book Depository

There are two without putting too much thought into it. They hit all three factors on a consistent basis.