• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

current turn around rates at CGC
79 79

26,969 posts in this topic

VHS - Betamax. The market didn't dictate the quality wasn't there with Betamax, it was actually better than VHS.

Hi-Def - Blu Ray. The market didn't choose Blu Ray for its superior quality.

interesting examples...

you know why VHS won? Initially it was cause VHS had bigger tape spools and could record 2 hrs vs 1 hr on the smaller Betamax tapes. Later it was cause it was cheaper to produce on for the studios, so Cost was the main vector there. (plus the VHS player was cheaper, again maybe a loss leader for the sake of market adoption).

This would be like someone starting a phenomenal grading service, but just sealing the comics in a bag and board.

Blu Ray also took early sales as loss leaders for the sake of adoption. Many retailers (including Walmart) made exclusive deals to only retail Blu Ray. They also were more successful wooing the Studios to produce their films for Blu Ray.

A parallel (not perfect, but Im trying to draw one) would be CGC working with key auction houses to have exclusive listings as the only "certified" books on their auction block. Or to have the mega-sites like ComicLink or other bid online comic stores only sell CGC books.

I would be happy to use someone else who offers a service comparable to the CGC, and since we all know that it isn't PGX, perhaps you might offer a recommendation.

I have already found an alternative to the Registry, so I'm basically sitting on G and waiting for O.

So you want the same (or better) quality, at the same price with a faster turn around time?

Or are you willing to pay more for faster and better?

Just wondering what your acceptable metric is...

My acceptable metric would be a grading service that runs their business like Richard Evans runs Bedrock City Comics, like Joe Grisolia runs CFP Comics, like Andrew Cretella runs GACollectibles, and like Dale Roberts runs Dale Roberts Comics. A business where everyone is treated professionally and with the same level of respect and courtesy. A business where if you have a problem they are working to an end where both the business and the customer are equally satisfied instead of admonished like a child in school or taunted with phrases such as, "Well, yeah, prove it." That would be my acceptable metric.

That's a weak response.

For one CGC has never come on and said "Well, yeah, prove it."

Second, Bedrock says that to me all the time.

Finally, none of them have awesome message boards where grown men can come on and act like children.

Oh, I have one....you're just not invited! :makepoint:

Sure it did. Audio was better than HD-DVD, and more info could fit on a Blu Ray disc. The people chose and then the studios followed suit.

Jim

Insiders think it was more the other way around (Studios/Retailers were swayed and the market followed). BluRay spent a lot of effort getting the front end (Studios) and the backend (Retailers) to agree to exclusive contracts for the sake of good pricing... I only know of HD-DVD being able to get one studio to agree to use their format during the wars, and thus the death knell.

Sure it did. Audio was better than HD-DVD, and more info could fit on a Blu Ray disc. The people chose and then the studios followed suit.

Jim

Wasn't Blu Ray backed by Sony from the start? HD (if I remember correctly, I could very well be wrong) was on a hiding to nothing from the very beginning so the market didn't have a choice to make. At least that's the way I remember it. I'll happily stand corrected.

Jim

I agree about the better quality, but I thought the final blows during that war were when Wal-Mart announced they were going exclusive and Best Buy saying they would dedicate significantly more space to BR.

I would be happy to use someone else who offers a service comparable to the CGC, and since we all know that it isn't PGX, perhaps you might offer a recommendation.

I have already found an alternative to the Registry, so I'm basically sitting on G and waiting for O.

So you want the same (or better) quality, at the same price with a faster turn around time?

My acceptable metric would be a grading service that runs their business like Richard Evans runs Bedrock City Comics, like Joe Grisolia runs CFP Comics, like Andrew Cretella runs GACollectibles, and like Dale Roberts runs Dale Roberts Comics. A business where everyone is treated professionally and with the same level of respect and courtesy. A business where if you have a problem they are working to an end where both the business and the customer are equally satisfied instead of admonished like a child in school or taunted with phrases such as, "Well, yeah, prove it." That would be my acceptable metric.

My acceptable metric would be to give the service which they advertise on the grading forms.

You don't tell people that it will be 40 days, when in fact it will be 150 days.

They need to suck it up, buy another encapsulation machine, hire another qualified grader or two, and get and stay caught up. Thats what businesses do.

Jim

I agree about the better quality, but I thought the final blows during that war were when Wal-Mart announced they were going exclusive and Best Buy saying they would dedicate significantly more space to BR.

That's what I always thought finished the "war" - coming down to retailer dominance.

There's a difference between being a good retailer (which your examples may be and do what they do very well) and being a good MANUFACTURER.

CGC is a manufacturer of product (the product being a combination of grading, restoration check and slabbing). It is a far more complex process to manufacture than to retail (not saying its easy, just different and not necessarily as complex).

I agree that customers should be treated with respect and courtesy, and I haven't had any experiences with CGC to the contrary. And I dont recall seeing CGC on the boards telling people to "prove it" (not sure what "it" is, do you have some specific beef?)

There's a difference between being a good retailer (which your examples may be and do what they do very well) and being a good MANUFACTURER.

CGC is a manufacturer of product (the product being a combination of grading, restoration check and slabbing). It is a far more complex process to manufacture than to retail (not saying its easy, just different and not necessarily as complex).

I agree that customers should be treated with respect and courtesy, and I haven't had any experiences with CGC to the contrary. And I dont recall seeing CGC on the boards telling people to "prove it" (not sure what "it" is, do you have some specific beef?)

CGC don't manufacture anything. They offer an opinion and guard against it being tampered with.

Jim

Wasn't Blu Ray backed by Sony from the start? HD (if I remember correctly, I could very well be wrong) was on a hiding to nothing from the very beginning so the market didn't have a choice to make. At least that's the way I remember it. I'll happily stand corrected.

Yup, but Sony also backed BetaMax back in the day so it wasn't a sure thing (though back then Sony wasnt a studio, so I wonder what would have happened if they HAD been a studio back in the 70s). Pretty quickly Sony/BluRay had 4-5 other studios agreeing to product movies on the BluRay technology and it just got worse from there for HD-DVD.

CGC don't manufacture anything. They offer an opinion and guard against it being tampered with.

They have raw materials, takt times, slabbing equipment, quality control processes (Im assuming)... sounds like they manufacture something to me.

Will you grant that they are a different business type than the referenced comic book dealers?

They have raw materials, takt times, slabbing equipment, quality control processes (Im assuming)... sounds like they manufacture something to me.

The raw materials being books, barex and slabs. Do they manufacture the barex and slab shells? I think our opinions on manufacturing differ.

And they obviously don't have takt times.

Will you grant that they are a different business type than the referenced comic book dealers?

Of course I will.

Manufacturing is the production of goods. CGC does not produce anything. They are a service industry, providing a service to other businesses and consumers.

Company that produces the plastic slabs for CGC grading = Manufacturing

CGC = service industry

Comic Book Dealer = retail industry

To all our customers:

All of us at CGC take pride in what we do. In order to accurately grade books they must each be given a certain amount of time and attention. We can’t shorten the grading process in order to move things along more quickly. We understand your frustration regarding grading turn around times and are doing everything in our power to reduce the time between submitting and receiving your graded and encapsulated books. Although being overwhelmed with submissions is a great issue that we don’t want to complain about, it is still an issue none the less. We’d like you to know that we are working 10 hour days and have been working six days a week in an attempt to alleviate the issues with turn around times. We are also looking to hire additional Graders. If you’d like more information or are interested in applying, please check the Careers page of our website for all the details.

Please be patient and keep in mind that we are doing our best to get your books back to you properly graded and encapsulated in order to maintain the integrity of what we do and the hobby we do it for.

I'd have a hard time calling McDonald's food a high quality product. They are actually a perfect example of the concept being described.

They are fast, and cheap, but Filet Mignon they are not.

For starters, McDonalds hits all three.

Manufacturing is the production of goods. CGC does not produce anything. They are a service industry, providing a service to other businesses and consumers.

Company that produces the plastic slabs for CGC grading = Manufacturing

CGC = service industry

Comic Book Dealer = retail industry

I think you know what he means, though.

They are not middle men selling just a product.

They are are combining a product (holder/label) with a service (inspection and appraisel) and marketing that.

He is absolutely correct in the fact that it is much more complex than just selling a product or providing a service.

To all our customers:

All of us at CGC take pride in what we do. In order to accurately grade books they must each be given a certain amount of time and attention. We can’t shorten the grading process in order to move things along more quickly. We understand your frustration regarding grading turn around times and are doing everything in our power to reduce the time between submitting and receiving your graded and encapsulated books. Although being overwhelmed with submissions is a great issue that we don’t want to complain about, it is still an issue none the less. We’d like you to know that we are working 10 hour days and have been working six days a week in an attempt to alleviate the issues with turn around times. We are also looking to hire additional Graders. If you’d like more information or are interested in applying, please check the Careers page of our website for all the details.

Please be patient and keep in mind that we are doing our best to get your books back to you properly graded and encapsulated in order to maintain the integrity of what we do and the hobby we do it for.

Shill.