• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

You really think these values with hold?

Once they realize that the entertainment properties will get stuck in

pre-production hell they will come back down again.

My advice is to sell sell sell.

If that does happen, and I believe it's very possible, don't you think these book settle in at a value higher than they were pre-hype?

Its possible if they bring in a new fan base to support the books longer. Its currently not a dead universe so they are gather some new fans with the new books too. Early high grade keys have always held a decent value as some boardies on here will tell you as well.

Don't forget that this book is a FRACTION in print-run size compared to other Marvel/DC keys.

While I suspect there are many more high grade copies of ASM 300 floating around than Harbinger 1, I am inclined to believe that there are many more high grade copies of Harbinger 1 floating around than, let's say, Iron Man 55, even ASM 194 or a number of BA/early CA keys. Harbinger 1 had a print-run of 48K or so. It was collectible pretty quickly thereafter in the era of the bag and board. Few got trashed other than those that had their coupon clipped. It was never a real dollar box book after the crash, so they didn't get trashed that way (I never saw one in a dollar box and I was looking, I'm not saying they never were in one ever). Other than the coupon, the vast majority of Harbinger 1s are in pretty nice shape I am going to assume.

If we're looking for some perspective on Harbinger #1, relative to the age of the book - the number of fans - the print run - and the hype of TV/movie speculation, perhaps Preacher #1 is a good comparison. hm

Harbinger 1 has always been expensive, 9.8's were going for $300-$400 even before the announcement

Patently false. The week before the announcement 4-5 copies CGC 9.8 copies sat unsold at ~$325 Buy-It-Nows on eBay & at least one retailer site, while the CGC 9.6s sat unsold at $100 Buy-It-Nows but sold for about $78 at true auction (with the occasional $100 true auction for 9.6).

There's a world of difference between "sold for $300-$400 in 9.8" and "sat for months unsold at $325 BIN asking price in 9.8"

Before the announcement the book had steadily trended downward over a period of several years from the 2500 high. There's a 65 page thread on the discussion and analysis of Harbinger 1 in CGC 9.8, and for Kevin to say the book was 'expensive' in the $300-400 range is taking this book at severely depressed levels. There is extensive buyer history support at this book at the 1k level and 500$. Only the absolute weakest hands were shaken out in the $300-350 range.

Trust me, I was very, very critical on the price action on this book for a number of years and only until it got to the mid 300s and below you'll see I started to change my tune.

You guys over analyze everything, I'm sure some of you have spread sheets of prices and charts of "Data" on what books have been sold for, what hasn't been sold ect... I saw the book selling "ie : Nice green letters with the numbers ranging from $300-$400 for 9.8's on ebay. I was being general, like I usually am but people on here like to correct everyone and pull up spreadsheets to prove to everyone that they're right and the guy being "in the ballpark" is wrong. People wonder why I say the stuff I do. This is Why!!

Batman 1989 is what brought me into the hobby.

Been a collector ever since.

I saw Batman at a theatre in Willits, CA in August of 1989. I was enthralled. Then, I went to a used book store (looking for regular books) and discovered comics.

I never looked back.

It was insane. I had never experienced anything like it, as I was too young to really know what the Star Wars craze was like.

It was crazy, too! Just not comics crazy.

Imagine being 5 years old and seeing Star Wars. Or 8 and seeing Empire. Or 11 and seeing Jedi.

:ohnoez:

I saw Batman at a theatre in Willits, CA in August of 1989. I was enthralled. Then, I went to a used book store (looking for regular books) and discovered comics.

I never looked back.

It was insane. I had never experienced anything like it, as I was too young to really know what the Star Wars craze was like.

Imagine being 5 years old and seeing Star Wars. Or 8 and seeing Empire. Or 11 and seeing Jedi.

I can't...

I don't remember the Vader reveal in Empire, but I can not imagine seeing that, and comprehending what it meant.

I would have fell out of my seat! lol

I never bought a Batman comic before 1989. Then I was buying Batman comics, Batman die cast cars, Batman action figures, Batman movie trading cards, Batman magazines, Batman pins, Batman this, Batman that. lol:P

Holy Bat mess!

I never looked back.

I was 5. My father and I waited on a long line in anticipation, an hour or more to see it in Manhattan (this was not opening day, I assume a week later when the movie had gotten in the news and on dad's radar). My older brother I believe had been reading the comic. My memories tell me it was at the Ziegfeld, but that could be wrong as it did not open there, maybe the Astor in Times Square. Just a reminder how my dad, who was born in 1924, loved sci fi and fantasy stuff. Took us to the animated Hobbit and all sorts of other stuff he wanted to see for the special effects and what not just as much as a movie to take the kids.

Harbinger 1 has always been expensive, 9.8's were going for $300-$400 even before the announcement

Patently false. The week before the announcement 4-5 copies CGC 9.8 copies sat unsold at ~$325 Buy-It-Nows on eBay & at least one retailer site, while the CGC 9.6s sat unsold at $100 Buy-It-Nows but sold for about $78 at true auction (with the occasional $100 true auction for 9.6).

There's a world of difference between "sold for $300-$400 in 9.8" and "sat for months unsold at $325 BIN asking price in 9.8"

Before the announcement the book had steadily trended downward over a period of several years from the 2500 high. There's a 65 page thread on the discussion and analysis of Harbinger 1 in CGC 9.8, and for Kevin to say the book was 'expensive' in the $300-400 range is taking this book at severely depressed levels. There is extensive buyer history support at this book at the 1k level and 500$. Only the absolute weakest hands were shaken out in the $300-350 range.

Trust me, I was very, very critical on the price action on this book for a number of years and only until it got to the mid 300s and below you'll see I started to change my tune.

You guys over analyze everything, I'm sure some of you have spread sheets of prices and charts of "Data" on what books have been sold for, what hasn't been sold ect... I saw the book selling "ie : Nice green letters with the numbers ranging from $300-$400 for 9.8's on ebay. I was being general, like I usually am but people on here like to correct everyone and pull up spreadsheets to prove to everyone that they're right and the guy being "in the ballpark" is wrong. People wonder why I say the stuff I do. This is Why!!

I was defending your point, you person_too_unaware_of_social_graces.

all this valiant talk just makes me want to expand my searching

The best part about valiant/acclaim books is because of such negative stigma by most dealers (and LCS to some extent) I've found so many $50-100 books in the $5-10 range over the years. And I'm know many others have done the same.

You want to relive those times, even for just a moment?

Any cover with a Joker appearance (assumed or otherwise) became a semi-key.

44683-3640-51731-1-justice.jpg

Even a New Universe book received attention ($5-$8) because of a 'Joker' unauthorized panel. If I am remembering right, it was one of the hoodlums running up the street with a Joker Halloween mask.