• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

hmm. I dont know. To me a "Key" issue is one that gives it a distinction from its surrounding issues. Like say a 1st appearance, or 1st issue of an artist or writer. Something along those lines.

I dont think Price or Age is the distinction here.

most likely.. if a book has a staying power of 30 years and is selling for 350.00 in 9.8..

something happened in that book to justify those trends

and yeah,, you can bet that spideys wedding was distinct from surrounding issues

+1

-J.

Okay along that lines then Reed/Sue FF Annual is a key?

to people who care about FF, yes.

But seemingly many more people CURRENTLY care about Spiderman than the FF. But the singleness of Peter Parker was a huge factor in spidey's character for the first 20 years.

the Sue/Reed marriage was more or less just a natural progression of an existing relationship. So it had less of an impact, and signaled less of a change.

Edited by Revat

hmm. I dont know. To me a "Key" issue is one that gives it a distinction from its surrounding issues. Like say a 1st appearance, or 1st issue of an artist or writer. Something along those lines.

I dont think Price or Age is the distinction here.

Exactly. Price has absolutely nothing to do with the "Key" designation.

Does is sell at a premium?

Has it always been in demand?

Was the marriage celebrated in a huge sport venue?

Was it reported in the media?

Why in the world would these questions be relevant to a SA comic?

You sound like some newbie spec-vestor who literally just fell off the turnip truck yesterday,

You sound like some newbie spec-vestor who literally just fell off the turnip truck yesterday,

Haha

ok ill take it

to people who care about FF, yes.

But seemingly many more people CURRENTLY care about Spiderman than the FF. But the singleness of Peter Parker was a huge factor in spidey's character for the first 20 years.

the Sue/Reed marriage was more or less just a natural progression of an existing relationship. So it had less of an impact, and signaled less of a change.

Yup. (thumbs u

-J.

ASM Annual 21 a true key? :screwy: "Kids these days . . . " :eyeroll:

:preach:

I love coming here and getting compliments from newbs on my age

Now, if only you were 50 years younger and of opposite gender :banana:

It may not be a "high dollar 'key'" (yet), but Peter and MJ's wedding would certainly have to be considered a "key" moment in Spider-Man lore. In that regard, it is a "key". The book being tough in high or 9.8 grade can very easily give it steam along with the "Renew Your Vows" event and whatever comes out of that. That is precisely what triggered me to finally seek out a high grade copy for myself. (thumbs u

-J.

People lose track of what a true key is. a book selling for 350.00 in a 9.8 is a key

A book which is constantly in demand for almost 30 years regardless of price is a key

A key is NOT a book that came out yesterday and will have a staying power of a year or less

a key is NOT a book that is being in demand due to current events

a key is NOT a book that came out 30 years ago and all of a sudden became popular

Despite the above, ASM Annual #21 is not a key. :grin:

I agree that the term "key" is bandied about too freely. But a "key" isn't just limited to first appearances. A "key" can also be a classic cover, a first told origin story, characters meeting the first time, the "death" of a character, a significant costume change, the start of a major storyline, an artist or writer's first/last work in a run, etc.

Peter marrying MJ was as significant of turning point for Peter Parker as when Gwen was killed. Fans were (and many still are) repulsed when they ret-conned the whole thing and split Peter from MJ. Hence the "Renew Your Vows" storyline.

-J.

ASM Annual #21 is in no way a "key" book.

A "key" book is Amazing Fantasy #15 or Incredible Hulk #181.

Everyone likes to play fast and loose with the word "key" these days.

Sheesh.

Fast and loose. Particularly on the seller side.

I agree that the term "key" is bandied about too freely. But a "key" isn't just limited to first appearances. A "key" can also be a classic cover, a first told origin story, characters meeting the first time, the "death" of a character, a significant costume change, the start of a major storyline, an artist or writer's first/last work in a run, etc.

Peter marrying MJ was as significant of turning point for Peter Parker as when Gwen was killed. Fans were (and many still are) repulsed when they ret-conned the whole thing and split Peter from MJ. Hence the "Renew Your Vows" storyline.

-J.

Oddly, I don't disagree with much of what you say, I just disagree with your conclusions. :grin:

I love ASM annual 21 for the same reason that we have a debate about it being a key -

no one understand its a MAJOR book for spidey fans.

It has a classic cover, its a major turning point in peter parker's life, it appeals to both male & female readers, its an early variant book.. it has so many tie ins for you to package it with (asm 290, marvel saga 22, marvel age 54), memorabilia: posters, bags, etc

this is a book that you can sell for 5 or 10 and be done with

or its a book that you can sell for 20-50

or 100 with additional stuff

That one book i never have to spend time grading in order to sell at a premium

Welcome back! lol

-J.

Oddly, I don't disagree with much of what you say, I just disagree with your conclusions. :grin:

:blush:

-J.

Sheesh.

:screwy:

Of course it is. Just because it's minor in the grand scheme of comics due to MJ and the marriage having little or no impact outside of Spidey's little world doesn't mean it's not a key.

Welcome back! lol

+1, that's two :roflmao: in two days

Sheesh.

:screwy:

Of course it is. Just because it's minor in the grand scheme of comics due to MJ and the marriage having little or no impact outside of Spidey's little world doesn't mean it's not a key.

lol. Thanks for making my point for me.