• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAWKEYE-1-2-3-4-COMPLETE-1983-MARVEL-9-0-VF-NM-/181880757144?hash=item2a58f01b98

--------

not that there is a lot of meat on the bone if buying these out of a dollar box, but i have generally ignored these minis from this era as it seems like badjillions were printed, but i probably shouldn't have for hawkeye

I think I just gave a #1 away as a freebie. but i'll survive.

Yes, it is a shame that all of my 80s and 90s books aren't worth $10-$15 each.

Even if this is the "Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay" thread I was saying it’s a shame they are not known and appreciated. I wasn’t thinking about the value.

Also, I was talking of books up to 1991 max. (and so the very early Wolverine, in this case) – most of the following years' productions were just bad.

I would not pay $0.50 myself for most of what Marvel published in the 1990s.

i have two kids, a big mortgage, and a job that doesn't pay that well (considering where i live). i spend 97% of my waking hours stressed about money and 93% of my dream-time as well.

Find something that makes you money other than your job.

yup, that's me bring a crass money driven comics selling non-purist

when i was single and childless i thought about building up a cool collection with lots of cool stuff and owning them until i dropped dead or whatever, but now i mostly see thousands of potential ways to pay my bills if i only had more time and energy. it's sad. i enjoy the medium still, of course, but virtually nothing i own is viewed as a long term hold anymore.

I believe he was just suggesting that you could find a way to have additional income, aside from buying and reselling comics, without having to continuously worry about it. :)

Not that it’s easy but maybe find a way to save on your daily expenses? I seem to recall you said you live in an expensive zone.

i need to make my kids latchkey kids. this will be tough for the 4 year old though. paying someone a living wage to watch them while their parents work three full time jobs between them is bankrupting me.

wah wah wah. i do realize i do not have real problems, just ones of my own making!

my wife says i should drive for uber at night. i prefer the gigolo route (hetero only!), but not much demand for a 300+ pounder in his mid-40s.

Cant be wealthy unless you go into business for yourself. I heard someone say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAWKEYE-1-2-3-4-COMPLETE-1983-MARVEL-9-0-VF-NM-/181880757144?hash=item2a58f01b98

--------

not that there is a lot of meat on the bone if buying these out of a dollar box, but i have generally ignored these minis from this era as it seems like badjillions were printed, but i probably shouldn't have for hawkeye

I love that series! I buy those issues any time I can find them cheap. Especially NM copies of #1. Sets are an easy $20 sell.

--------

I'm not sure what you'd need to qualify as meat, but turning $4 (if they all came out of a dollar box) into $19 before fees sounds fairly meaty to me. 400% profit isn't meat?

i need to make my kids latchkey kids. this will be tough for the 4 year old though. paying someone a living wage to watch them while their parents work three full time jobs between them is bankrupting me.

wah wah wah. i do realize i do not have real problems, just ones of my own making!

my wife says i should drive for uber at night. i prefer the gigolo route (hetero only!), but not much demand for a 300+ pounder in his mid-40s.

I’m never sure when you are joking and when you are serious, but what are "latchkey kids"? I see the term refers to a copy of a key. hm

I’m never sure when you are joking and when you are serious, but what are "latchkey kids"? I see the term refers to a copy of a key. hm

Kids who come home to an empty house because no adults are home. They need their own keys to get in, which is where the term comes from.

Kids who come home to an empty house because no adults are home. They need their own keys to get in, which is where the term comes from.

Thanks! (thumbs u

Did anyone (that's interested that is) see this? Not a comic, but it is the 1st appearance of The Tick.

Time to go look for my copies

Wait I thought first appearances had to occur within a story? ;)

It is a story.

(shrug)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6433136

So it's a preview! Nice.

No.

People by irrelevant and common books in 9.8 cause they most likely trying to complete a set...That's why I got $350 for a Conan The Barbarian #250 haha He emailed me and told me he needed it for his run.

there is a 9.8 for sale right now for $153

:makepoint:

--------

I'm not sure what you'd need to qualify as meat, but turning $4 (if they all came out of a dollar box) into $19 before fees sounds fairly meaty to me. 400% profit isn't meat?

well, $18.95 looked to be on the high end for recent sales, i think there were others in the $12-$15 range. still, enough of a profit margin i think.

"a lot of meat" is subjective, of course. all in all it looks to be worth it now if you can get 1-4 in nice shape. i had figure this mini sold for $5-$8, tops, maybe, in which case probably not worth the hassle.

People by irrelevant and common books in 9.8 cause they most likely trying to complete a set...That's why I got $350 for a Conan The Barbarian #250 haha He emailed me and told me he needed it for his run.

there is a 9.8 for sale right now for $153

:makepoint:

you can replace your lost 9.8 and have almost $200 to spare to reinvest in slabbing more oddball issues. rinse and repeat 100,000 times. retire at 45.

Did anyone (that's interested that is) see this? Not a comic, but it is the 1st appearance of The Tick.

It is a story.

(shrug)

So it's a preview! Nice.

No.

OK so is it an unpublished story? I'm just not sure why this newsletter qualifies as a first appearance while others do not. I though newsletters can't be first appearances or does the artist/writer have to state that it is within his own newsletter for it to count? Does the newsletter have to be promoted a certain way for it to count as a first? I have read a lot of posts over the years where people claim that collecting newsletter, previews, pamphlets and other non-comic format material is frivolous because they shouldn't be considered first appearances and yet no one is complaining about this company newsletter as a first. I wonder why.

Edited by MrWeen

It is a story.

(shrug)

So it's a preview! Nice.

No.

OK so is it an unpublished story? I'm just not sure why this newsletter qualifies as a first appearance while others do not. I though newsletters can't be first appearances or does the artist/writer have to state that it is within his own newsletter for it to count? Does the newsletter have to be promoted a certain way for it to count as a first? I have read a lot of posts over the years where people claim that collecting newsletter, previews, pamphlets and other non-comic format material is frivolous because they shouldn't be considered first appearances and yet no one is complaining about this company newsletter as a first. I wonder why.

I believe this is a little different because NEC acknowledges and promotes the first appearance to be in the newsletter instead of the comic. Not that it should matter to the reader. But according to them, it is

It is a story.

(shrug)

So it's a preview! Nice.

No.

OK so is it an unpublished story?

No. It is clearly published, as NEC Newsletter #14.

I'm just not sure why this newsletter qualifies as a first appearance while others do not.

Because it's an original story, written and drawn for NEC Newsletter #14.

I though newsletters can't be first appearances

According to whom?

or does the artist/writer have to state that it is within his own newsletter for it to count?

No. That would be an odd criterion. And Ben Edlund didn't publish NEC Newsletter #14...NEC did.

Does the newsletter have to be promoted a certain way for it to count as a first?

No.

I have read a lot of posts over the years where people claim that collecting newsletter, previews, pamphlets and other non-comic format material is frivolous because they shouldn't be considered first appearances

Not correct. The appearance has to be in sequential art (that is, TELLS A STORY), that is not intended to be "officially printed" in another publication.

It doesn't matter if it was printed in a comic book, a newsletter, Previews, the back of a Pop-Tarts box, or a roll of toilet paper. It simply has to be sequential art that isn't intended to be printed somewhere else.

If Previews contained an ORIGINAL STORY that had a first appearance that wasn't intended for, nor printed in, another publication as PART of a "preview", then that would be an official first appearance.

That's why the first appearance of "The Walking Dead" is NOT Capes #1 or Agents #6, both of which only contain PREVIEW PAGES of The Walking Dead #1, but why NEC Newsletter #14 IS the first appearance of the Tick.

If it was just pinups of the Tick, character studies, or somesuch, you'd have a valid point.

But it's not.

You're still trying to claim that ANY published depiction of a character, no matter where it appears, no matter HOW it appears, should be considered the "first appearance", which is contrary to the entire history of comics fandom.

and yet no one is complaining about this company newsletter as a first. I wonder why.

Well, clearly it's because anyone who says it's a story has a warehouse full and is trying to manipulate the market.

Orrrr....

The FORMAT of the appearance doesn't matter, provided it's in sequential art form.

Look at the thread that was linked. This is NOT a "preview" of a story that appeared, or even was intended to appear, elsewhere. It is an original story, written and drawn for this newsletter. It is not an "unpublished story", it was published in NEC Newsletter #14. NEC was and is a PUBLISHER of comic books (not that one needs to be a publisher, but still.)

It is a story.

(shrug)

So it's a preview! Nice.

No.

I believe this is a little different because NEC acknowledges and promotes the first appearance to be in the newsletter instead of the comic. Not that it should matter to the reader. But according to them, it is

We are splitting hairs here, but I think the big difference is this wasn't marketing material for a comic, i.e. buy the Tick comic, here's a taste. The Tick was a feature that regularly appeared in the newsletter and only later got his own series, and this volume marks the beginning of the Tick story.

It is a story.

(shrug)

So it's a preview! Nice.

No.

We are splitting hairs here, but I think the big difference is this wasn't marketing material for a comic, i.e. buy the Tick comic, here's a taste. The Tick was a feature that regularly appeared in the newsletter and only later got his own series, and this volume marks the beginning of the Tick story.

Well if the publisher of the book acknowledges it to be a 1st appearance, what are we arguing?