• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

Grin I agree at this pint it is looking like the best recourse is to press criminal charges against the seller who sold the book to Geoffrey's comics. They have said they will help the police however they can since he was stupid enough to let them photo copy his I'd it should be rather easy to find him.

Once a criminal case is started I can ask for restitution from him. If not then either me or my insurance company will be filing a civil case against him.

It's a headache that is for sure.

He's claiming that he traded the book with somebody but doesn't have their name or contact details?

He probably put it where the period key on his keyboard went off to.

Oh come on... as long as you clear his name here on the boards he'll co-operate. Just do it already. Clear the name of a guy that's been involved in not one, not two but several shady deals and he'll help you get back the stolen book he's currently in possession of.

If this guy had two brain cells to rub together he'd walk that thing down to the local precinct and turn it over along with all the info on where it came from. What a not-smart-buttocks. :facepalm:

If this guy had two brain cells to rub together he'd walk that thing down to the local precinct and turn it over along with all the info on where it came from. What a not-smart-buttocks. :facepalm:
He's not just going to hand over $2k worth of book for no reason. Much easier to get rid of the book once you find out it's stolen.

He's not just going to hand over $2k worth of book for no reason. Much easier to get rid of the book once you find out it's stolen.
I'd rather be out $2k than charged with possession of stolen property myself. You and I generally don't see eye to eye anyway though so... (shrug)

I'd rather be out $2k than charged with possession of stolen property myself. You and I generally don't see eye to eye anyway though so... (shrug)
I didn't say it's what I would do. :eyeroll:

I didn't say it's what I would do. :eyeroll:
I didn't say it's what you would do either.

I would hope the local constabulary would make his life hell if he did not come up with the book or the person he "traded" it to.

and "no reason" Transplant? :facepalm:

Is there a filter making it impossible for people to read my posts? I didn't say he should have kept the book. I only said that given the two choices, my guess is that shady characters will move the book quickly rather than have to eat what they paid for it (and any potential profit) by turning it over to the rightful owner.

Is he claiming to have traded it at a specific show and if so, which one and when?

Wonder if he remembers what he traded it for either...

I know I have never done a trade at a show without getting all info...there are tax implications, afterall, here in the US and I assume in the UK too...would seem highly unlikely to do a huge trade and not know "who" ....possible, but not real plausible, imo

I would hope the local constabulary would make his life hell if he did not come up with the book or the person he "traded" it to.

and "no reason" Transplant? :facepalm:

Is there a filter making it impossible for people to read my posts? I didn't say he should have kept the book. I only said that given the two choices, my guess is that shady characters will move the book quickly rather than have to eat what they paid for it (and any potential profit) by turning it over to the rightful owner.

You posted your explanation after I had already posted.

Is he claiming to have traded it at a specific show and if so, which one and when?

Wonder if he remembers what he traded it for either...

I know I have never done a trade at a show without getting all info...there are tax implications, afterall, here in the US and I assume in the UK too...would seem highly unlikely to do a huge trade and not know "who" ....possible, but not real plausible, imo
Well since he routinely tries to pull bait and switch deals and now has been found in the middle of a deal involving stolen property it's just not possible he cheats on his taxes. That would just be going too far. lol

Shows are very few and far between in the UK - even in the unlikely event that a professional comic seller would not get all the necessary details needed for his business - it shouldn't be too hard to track down the person who now supposedly has the book.

I need a decepticon level summary of this thing....

1) Boardie buys a book from another boardie, it never arrives and was likely stolen inside the postal system.

2) Book ends up in the hands of a legitimate dealer in California who trades/sells it to a dealer in the UK.

3) UK dealer puts it up for sale on his ebay shop.

4) Boardie sees the book that he never recieved on ebay with a BIN.

5) Boardie hits the BIN (jan 22) so no one else can buy it.

after that I'm a little hazy on the events

6) After some period of time Boardie contacts silveracre (via ebay or directly?) to tell him that the book was his and was stolen

7) Silveracre responded saying that he thought the BIN was going to be a non-paying one, and he went ahead and traded away the book and no longer has it in his possession, and does not know the name of the person he traded it to, but will try to find him at the next comic mart. ;)

Not exactly sure how long it went between the BIN and contacting Silver about the book (sounded like maybe 6-7 days).

I think ebay has a 10 day payment window unless the seller sets the BIN with a requirement for autopay, which wasnt the case here. So the Seller should be obliged to "honor" the payment window, or at least contact the buyer to confirm intent to pay.

Shady elements (IMHO):

-silveracre just happens to have just traded a book that he is informed is "hot"

-silveracre doesn't have contact info or provide any info on the tradee who now has the book (youd think he'd be forthcoming to try and help in this situation).

If it was a trade and he got books in return wouldnt any dealer want some info in case the books he took possession of were either hot or stolen so you could direct the authorities to the trader, or know in the future to not deal with a guy hocking nondisclosed restored books?

Did I get the summary right?

I need a decepticon level summary of this thing....

1) Boardie buys a book from another boardie, it never arrives and was likely stolen inside the postal system.

2) Book ends up in the hands of a legitimate dealer in California who trades/sells it to a dealer in the UK.

3) UK dealer puts it up for sale on his ebay shop.

4) Boardie sees the book that he never recieved on ebay with a BIN.

5) Boardie hits the BIN (jan 22) so no one else can buy it.

after that I'm a little hazy on the events

6) After some period of time Boardie contacts silveracre (via ebay or directly?) to tell him that the book was his and was stolen

7) Silveracre responded saying that he thought the BIN was going to be a non-paying one, and he went ahead and traded away the book and no longer has it in his possession, and does not know the name of the person he traded it to, but will try to find him at the next comic mart. ;)

Not exactly sure how long it went between the BIN and contacting Silver about the book (sounded like maybe 6-7 days).

I think ebay has a 10 day payment window unless the seller sets the BIN with a requirement for autopay, which wasnt the case here. So the Seller should be obliged to "honor" the payment window, or at least contact the buyer to confirm intent to pay.

Shady elements (IMHO):

-silveracre just happens to have just traded a book that he is informed is "hot"

-silveracre doesn't have contact info or provide any info on the tradee who now has the book (youd think he'd be forthcoming to try and help in this situation).

If it was a trade and he got books in return wouldnt any dealer want some info in case the books he took possession of were either hot or stolen so you could direct the authorities to the trader, or know in the future to not deal with a guy hocking nondisclosed restored books?

Did I get the summary right?

STOP IT! Stop with all that logic and making sense right now! (tsk)