• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

If I was a dealer in the US and got hold of a key book, I'm not sure SilverAcre in the UK would be my first thought for selling it on.

They are not known as the highest payers in the business, in fact they are far from it.

I think ebay has a 10 day payment window unless the seller sets the BIN with a requirement for autopay, which wasnt the case here. So the Seller should be obliged to "honor" the payment window, or at least contact the buyer to confirm intent to pay.

It is 4 days from the seller initiating a Non paying bidder action with ebay. Which the seller can only initiate 4 days after the buy it now button was hit.

Buyer claims never to have received a NPB notice, so seller never initiated a claim.

Usually when a seller does not initiate a NPB claim, it indicates that the seller was happy with the price and is hoping the buyer will come up with the cash and doesn't want to ruffle the buyers feathers.

I still don't understand. If board member A sent the package to board B in Australia,how did the book get to Geoffrey's comics in So. Calif.Then from there go all the way to England? It's astonishing to me,And I just can't wrap my head around this whole senario. (shrug)

I still don't understand. If board member A sent the package to board B in Australia,how did the book get to Geoffrey's comics in So. Calif.Then from there go all the way to England? It's astonishing to me,And I just can't wrap my head around this whole senario. (shrug)

There is obviously a world wide network of criminals selling comic books.

There is obviously a world wide network of criminals selling comic books.

A sort of comic mafia? hmlol

My guess is book "falls off the postal truck" and is opened by Person #1. Person #1 (likely, though not certainly, a USPS employee) sells/gives it to Person #2 (the 'launderer') who then sells it either to Geoffrey's or to Person #3/Dealer #1 who sells it to Geoffrey's.

-silveracre just happens to have just traded a book that he is informed is "hot"

Amend that to:

silveracre just happens to have just traded a book that he is informed is "hot", after he already had a commitment from a buyer who agreed to pay his FULL eBay Buy it Now asking price

This is not an insignificant detail

If I was a dealer in the US and got hold of a key book, I'm not sure SilverAcre in the UK would be my first thought for selling it on.

They are not known as the highest payers in the business, in fact they are far from it.

Yeah, that book made a pretty quick jump out of the country. Will be interesting to see who sold them the book & why the seller was ignorant enough to let them copy his id info.

Edit to add: It wasn't too bright of an idea starting this thread before book was recovered.

Edit to add: It wasn't too bright of an idea starting this thread before book was recovered.

dont be to hard on the OP

1) he was trying to get some advice on how to proceed

2) he was trying to warn others about a possible shady dealer.

I get your point (that starting this thread might have alerted the dealer to jettison the book faster), but I think the OP may have already partially (or fully) let the cat out of the bag with the dealer regarding his suspicions about the provenance of the book he just BINed.

-silveracre just happens to have just traded a book that he is informed is "hot"

Amend that to:

silveracre just happens to have just traded a book that he is informed is "hot", after he already had a commitment from a buyer who agreed to pay his FULL eBay Buy it Now asking price

And not to uncommon an occurance (though often it gets covered up with a "oh I thought I still had it but guess it was previously sold" or "someone else manages the ebay listings and didnt have the latest inventory info")

I've had a couple of good deal BINs suddenly turn into "oops sorry I dont have that book"

Amend that to:

AND just 4 days after the BIN gets hit he takes said item to a con to sell/trade? :ohnoez:

That book should have never been taken to the con to sell/trade. 2c

Your never going to see that book again slabbed.

Hi Guys Thanks for all your kind words the book was purchased from a reputable dealer on ebay in good faith i received the book and listed it on ebay it sold, i contacted the buyer for payment twice and he never responded the book was in my cgc case which i took to the leeds show i got a really good art trade offer and as the buyer on ebay had not responded to any of my emails i took the deal, They know i had nothing to do with the loss of their book and i'm still receiving threats from Joseph in Australia, will copy some of the emails now, the rest in the morning.

I found the message thread. The person who started it is in Australia and claims he bought the book off the CGC board and that it got lost in the mail. He then claims that he found the book you bought from me in your ebay store. Do we know where the book was originally when he said he bought it from the CGC board? If the person he originally bought it from is in Los Angeles same as us, maybe he has a case for it being stolen. If the person is from elsewhere, then it's very unlikely and this all is a big mistake.

We bought the book from a private collector. At the time of purchase, we made a copy of his ID and he signed a receipt for the sale, so we have all of his info. He also wasn't so quick to sell it and took a few days to think on the price we offered. All of this doesn't sound like the actions of a thief looking to get rid of stolen merchandise quickly.

I don't know exactly what else I can do or say to help you, but I'll be happy to do what I can.

- geoffreys_comics Reply in your email program or through My Messages

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: geoffreys_comics

Subject: Re: Other: happycollector9 sent a message about Tales Of Suspense #39 CGC VG+ 4.5 1st Appearance Of Iron Man!! #400387022144

Sent Date: 26-Jan-13 20:00:27 GMT

Dear geoffreys_comics,

Hi Thanks for the reply, i dont know how to access this, i was told about it at a comic show today, if you add in silver acre comics or silveracre which is my main company name the details should come up, i purchased this comic through my buying account happycollector9 and sold it through by business account silver-acre, the guy who says it his book is a joseph wakim ebay used wakim_000 and the item number he purchased it on ebay was 360572023996 , i know you are a good guy as Harley said about you years ago, i have to go home from my warehouse now as its late at night and will not be able to respond until monday but you help would be greatly appricated.

Regards Darryl

- happycollector9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: happycollector9

Subject: Re: Other: happycollector9 sent a message about Tales Of Suspense #39 CGC VG+ 4.5 1st Appearance Of Iron Man!! #400387022144

Sent Date: 26-Jan-13 19:40:15 GMT

Dear happycollector9,

I need your help to find the message thread about the book. Can you send me a URL link?

- geoffreys_comics

To: geoffreys_comics

Subject: Other: happycollector9 sent a message about Tales Of Suspense #39 CGC VG+ 4.5 1st Appearance Of Iron Man!! #400387022144

Sent Date: 26-Jan-13 19:16:08 GMT

Dear geoffreys_comics,

Hi, I purchased this comic from you in good faith, my main user id is silveracre, it arived fine with no problems, listed it for sale on ebay and i am now being attacked on the cgc forum saying the book was stolen, please contact me in relation to this and also please go onto the cgc forum and state that you sold the book to me and its not stolen as my company is being stated as dealing in stolen goods,, really not good at all, please dont delay.

Regards Darryl

- happycollector9

Tales Of Suspense #39 CGC VG+ 4.5 1st Appearance Of Iron Man!!

Item Id: 400387022144

End time: 13-Jan-13 17:54:36 GMT

Seller:

geoffreys_comics (5628)

99.9% Positive Feedback

Member since 08-Dec-04 in United States

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was closed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear silver-acre,

Hi Darryl it is unfortunate that you traded the book away. The buyer has not contacted you because he is on vacation out if country for the next week. You were not informed because USPS Interpol uk police and the FCC asked that you not be so that they could partner with eBay to run their own investigation of the theft. They needed to compile enough evidence to show that the property was stolen. Now I don't know where they are in their case or if they have the warrants they were looking to get so that they could search your store for the book. I just would like to get the book back.

According to eBay terms of service a buyer has 4 days to pay for a book and then another 4 days after an unpaid item case is opened. I find it hard to believe a dealer such as yourself would trade an item off before that time frame had expired. I ask that you please work with me to return the book so that I may tell all authorities involved you are cooperating. Until I have received the book however the criminal and mail fraud cases will remain open.

Please tell the person you traded with that there is a $500 reward for the book. Return his art and return the book so the police do not need to seize it from him or you. I will help in your PayPal claim to get your refund from the original seller. Since he has documentation proving it was sold to him and the Id of the seller we can now track him down. Both me and the seller that sold it to you can file a civil case against that guy so you will be refunded if the book is returned.

Doug

- amea4682 Reply in your email program or through My Messages

To: amea4682

Subject: Re: amea4682 has sent a message

Sent Date: 28-Jan-13 09:26:54 GMT

Dear amea4682,

Doug, Thank you for the email, why was i not informed straight away, i only found out about this on Saturday at a comic show i was attending ,when another dealer said have you seen whats being said about you on the cgc forum,i cant belive that forum members can post an innocent businesses name on a legitamate site linked to a crime without comtacting the person in question first,, i traded the comic on Saturday for some art so this adds to my nightmare, i contacted the guy who the book was posted to and he has not bothered to reply, also tried to phone and told him what time i would be calling and got no answer, can you please address this on the cgc forum first and either delete or strongly corect whats been said about my company,, i have a full line back to the person who sold it to the , and it was sold to a dealer in the Us first who sold it to me and by some miracle he has the receipt of purchase with copy of driving licence , so it can be traced,,, in relation to getting the book back i will see what i can do, if only i had been told , the guy in Australia should have contacted the police and then informed me,, i will work with you on this but first thing is to go onto the forum and clear my good name, 2nd unjust attack i have had on the forun in a week ?? my office number if you want to call me is 0044 1244 680048

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

To: silver-acre

Subject: amea4682 has sent a message

Sent Date: 26-Jan-13 23:38:18 GMT

Dear silver-acre,

Part 2 of 2

if you could please return the item I will help you in your paypal claim against the seller as he sold you stolen merchandise and owes you a refund. I have all the documentation stating that the book is owned by me including a bill of sale and insurance paper work/scans linked to the cgc number. I can forward all that information to you for your claim. I would also be very grateful personally as you can imagine and would be willing to offer a reward of $500 for your time and returning the item. I am currently out 2500 and trying to recover that loss. I feel that I should also let you know that both the FCCC and your counterpart in the UK and Ebay have been notified that this item is stolen and currently part of a USPS and police investigation and being sold on the internet.

Sincerely

Doug Peters

dscott239 at gmail dot com

- amea4682

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear wakim_000,

Hi Joseph, thank you for the reply, as per the email i sent you saturday night, the comic was purchased by you on last monday, i invoiced tuesday and got no reply then again on thursday or friday and still got no reply so when i checked saturday and no payment or email i asumed that you were another time waster and when offered a good art trade for the comic later that day descided to take up the offer at the show, i have had a rut of people hitting the buy it now on on me lately and not paying and had figured i would send a npb on monday and hear no more of it, i have told this in my reply to the other person who sent the comic to you in the first place, the guy who did the trade comes to the Leeds show on a regular basis so i should be able to make contact and get the book back in the future , i dont have a number so will have to wait until the next leeds comic show on March 2nd , the dealer who sold me the comic has replied and i will copy and past his reply to you in next message, but please go onto the forum and clear my name, you do know that this will be online forever now and we all know that not everyone who read this will find out that i was also an innocent person , if only you had contacted me first or just the police, i have just been ripped off as well, paid for an avengers 1 cgc 4.5 170961774510 paid $2150 for the comic and sellar will not send and says he does not have the funds to refund, so i know how you feel , please firstly clear my name on the forum and then i will do my best to help you out with the loss

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

To: silver-acre

Subject: wakim_000 has sent a question about item #360572023996, that ended on 23-Jan-13 04:45:39 GMT - TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN & 1ST APP OF IRON MAN MARCH 1963 MARVEL

Sent Date: 28-Jan-13 10:52:11 GMT

Dear silver-acre,

Darryl, before I click the eBay cancel button, what is the status of the comic? Surely you must still have it since I won it in eBay.

- wakim_000

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN & 1ST APP OF IRON MAN MARCH 1963 MARVEL

Item Id: 360572023996

End time: 23-Jan-13 04:45:39 GMT

Seller:

silver-acre (55815)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Member since 23-Jun-98 in United Kingdom

Listing Status: This message was sent while the listing was closed

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear silver-acre,

Darryl, before I click the eBay cancel button, what is the status of the comic? Surely you must still have it since I won it in eBay.

- wakim_000 Reply in your email program or through My Messages

TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 CGC 4.5 VG+ ORIGIN & 1ST APP OF IRON MAN MARCH 1963 MARVEL

Buyer:

wakim_000 (230)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Member since 03-Dec-05 in Australia

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear silver-acre,

Hi, I did indeed buy it and the book was stolen in the mail. The book is registered under the sellers insurance company and we have the orginal bill of sale for the book. Can you please help in returning the book to me or the seller. There is a reward for its return and I will be willing to help you in your paypal claim to get your money back from the seller you bought it from.

Also please be aware that there is both a USPS investigation as well as a police investigation in both the UK AU and USA about the theft of the book because of the value.

We trust you can cooperate with us to bring the matter to an end and stop any harm coming to any innocent parties. As for the thread, my intention was never to accuse you of theft, just asking for advice for this very stressful situation as you can imagine. I will be more than happy to set the record straight for you on the thread.

Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

- wakim_000 Reply in your email program or through My Messages

Buyer:

wakim_000 (230)

100.0% Positive Feedback

Member since 03-Dec-05 in Australia

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have multiple other emails but the above basically says everything if joseph had the decency to contact me or to directly contact the UK police there would of been no problem instead after 5 days i had still had no replies to my emails, i have had mutliple CGC books puchased and not paid for in the last 2 months it's a regular occurance and when he didn't bother replying to my emails i though i just had another waster, now instead of aplogising for slandering my business he now says i'm lying about trading it off.

i have multiple other emails but the above basically says everything if joseph had the decency to contact me or to directly contact the UK police there would of been no problem instead after 5 days i had still had no replies to my emails, i have had mutliple CGC books puchased and not paid for in the last 2 months it's a regular occurance and when he didn't bother replying to my emails i though i just had another waster, now instead of aplogising for slandering my business he now says i'm lying about trading it off.

I applaud you for posting this apparently unmodified email thread. I say apparently unmodified because it makes you look so bad.

So. when you traded this book away after someone buying it on eBay, your plan was to just eat the $250+ in eBay fees if the buyer did not cooperate? I doubt it.

I don't have a horse in this race at all, but my guess would be that the reason for not contacting the 'alleged seller of a stolen item' initially is that he wouldn't want to alert that seller that he knew something was wrong ahead of time, allowing that 'alleged seller of a stolen item' time to either hide or sell/trade that item away, as soon as the 'alleged seller of a stolen item' found out that someone was looking for the comic.

Was that the best move? maybe, maybe not. But there is at least some discernible logic to that thought process.

Was it the best move to post here? Maybe, maybe not. But there is again at least some discernible logic. I personally wouldn't have posted the name of the 'alleged seller of a stolen item', but these are not common circumstances, and not situations most of us deal with regularly. Its hard to know how we'll respond, and we're not sure what will help the most.

Daryl - I strongly suggest that you stop worrying about "clearing your name" and just cooperate with retrieving the book as soon as possible.

Clearly this whole thing could have been handled in a less confusing way, but let's leave that aside for the moment. Without meaning to sound patronising, this is a big opportunity for you to claw back a small amount of goodwill. I would take advantage of it if I were you.

Daryl - I strongly suggest that you stop worrying about "clearing your name" and just cooperate with retrieving the book as soon as possible.

Clearly this whole thing could have been handled in a less confusing way, but let's leave that aside for the moment. Without meaning to sound patronising, this is a big opportunity for you to claw back a small amount of goodwill. I would take advantage of it if I were you.

That's extremely well said. I agree completely.