• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

What message?

I'm poking fun at silver-acre's insistent blame on eBay US being the problem in his complete ineptitude to correctly ship the advertised item. Clearly, his inability to form a coherent message is also to blame on eBay US.

Lost in translation.

I am currently having issues with this seller. There are five books I purchased from them and they sent me the correct issue of the books, but sent lower grade copies of the books. Like a bait-n-switch. Here are the excuses they gave me -

Dear silver-acre,

Upon inspection of each of the books I can see that each of them are not the as described. They have writing on them, one has tape on back cover, tears on covers, etc. You had described these as "like new" and to refer to the pictures, but these are not the same books as in the pictures. Except for the Battle Action Force Annual.

- blightning11

Dear blightning11,

Hi Jeff, Thanks for the email, there is a problem with ebay Us that shows items from other contries incoretly, the items is listed as used 2nd hand all over the world apart from on ebay Us and for some reason when displayed on ebay us it converts all international used listings to new, ebay know about this as its been an on and off problem for over a year now so i am unsure why they have not fixed the bug, british comics were sold through newsagaets who used to put the names on the comics for the paper boys to deliver, its the norm and accepted in the uk, if you want to contact ebay is the Us just to confirm what i say no problem, just want you to be sure it was listed at my end as used 2nd hand, as a sign of good will i would be happy to refund you £5 or the comics you are not happy can be posted back regular air mail and i will refund in full including the cost of the return postage, let us know,

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

They are not as he says. His auctions state to use the picture provided to show they quality of books. They were not the same books. I want the books, though, as they are not easy to find.

No, if you're buying HG copies of British comic books, such as 2000 AD, then names on the cover aren't acceptable. It's still one aspect that you are paying a premium for. That's nonsense. Not all copies were sold that way. They had loads of them, unmarked, on the shelves at newsagents in the town centres.

"it is the norm"... that is absolutely shocking :(

this is crazy confusing, unless i missed it (i skipped a few pages in the middle) to think it was an inside postal job, we need to think someone in the states stole it and instead of selling it in the states turned around and sent it to england to make money? i cant see why mail from the us would go through england on the way to australia, or am i wrong about that? or..is the thief just insanely careful to sell thousands of miles away to cover his tracks?

this is crazy confusing, unless i missed it (i skipped a few pages in the middle) to think it was an inside postal job, we need to think someone in the states stole it and instead of selling it in the states turned around and sent it to england to make money? i cant see why mail from the us would go through england on the way to australia, or am i wrong about that? or..is the thief just insanely careful to sell thousands of miles away to cover his tracks?

It is nutty. :popcorn:

What message?

I'm poking fun at silver-acre's insistent blame on eBay US being the problem in his complete ineptitude to correctly ship the advertised item. Clearly, his inability to form a coherent message is also to blame on eBay US.

This is what Darryl is reffering to and he's absolutely correct.

easy enough to check yourself.

Ebay UK

Ebay USA

How it comes up on Ebay UK

uk.jpg

How it comes up on Ebay USA

usa.jpg

Obviously he is aware that his products get listed differently on either versions, so why does he not make a note of it in the description or otherwise? I feel like if he knows that this problem would occur with international buyers then he is obligated to tell them before sending it.

Some of those books are nice and rare as well so does he expect people would be more inclined to keep it if they had it in their hands and even if the condition is worse than advertised?

It is nutty. :popcorn:

I think others have summed it up including Buzzetta. The book was either stolen here in the USA or mis-delivered somewhere along the line. The person that got the book - by outright theft or by accidental delivery - decided to sell it and make some money. The OP said it was a 2K comic. To reduce the chances of their getting in trouble, they sold it to a dealer in the UK. Actually smart on their part. Even if caught who prosecutes is in question.

The police won't be any help as they likely won't even be able to agree on jurisdiction. Ultimately the USPS will settle on this because it was insured. Any efforts at "catching" the bad guy(s) will be on the Postal Inspector's shoulders. Given the relative complexity and overlapping jurisdictions, the USPS inspectors will probably just pay the claim and forget it, unless it appears to be theft by a USPS employee. That they would dig into.

Darryl had been in contact with us. Hope he has a soul and does the right thing.

It would surely be illegal for him to keep proven stolen goods.

Hi Joseph, thank you for the reply, as per the email i sent you saturday night, the comic was purchased by you on last monday, i invoiced tuesday and got no reply then again on thursday or friday and still got no reply so when i checked saturday and no payment or email i asumed that you were another time waster and when offered a good art trade for the comic later that day descided to take up the offer at the show, i have had a rut of people hitting the buy it now on on me lately and not paying and had figured i would send a npb on monday and hear no more of it, i have told this in my reply to the other person who sent the comic to you in the first place, the guy who did the trade comes to the Leeds show on a regular basis so i should be able to make contact and get the book back in the future , i dont have a number so will have to wait until the next leeds comic show on March 2nd , the dealer who sold me the comic has replied and i will copy and past his reply to you in next message, but please go onto the forum and clear my name, you do know that this will be online forever now and we all know that not everyone who read this will find out that i was also an innocent person , if only you had contacted me first or just the police, i have just been ripped off as well, (bleeped)... please firstly clear my name on the forum and then i will do my best to help you out with the loss

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

So basically if he does not receive payment within a few days he automatically sells it off to someone else.... So any UK boardies know of a regular comic art dealer who visits the Leeds show?

Hi Joseph, thank you for the reply, as per the email i sent you saturday night, the comic was purchased by you on last monday, i invoiced tuesday and got no reply then again on thursday or friday and still got no reply so when i checked saturday and no payment or email i asumed that you were another time waster and when offered a good art trade for the comic later that day descided to take up the offer at the show, i have had a rut of people hitting the buy it now on on me lately and not paying and had figured i would send a npb on monday and hear no more of it, i have told this in my reply to the other person who sent the comic to you in the first place, the guy who did the trade comes to the Leeds show on a regular basis so i should be able to make contact and get the book back in the future , i dont have a number so will have to wait until the next leeds comic show on March 2nd , the dealer who sold me the comic has replied and i will copy and past his reply to you in next message, but please go onto the forum and clear my name, you do know that this will be online forever now and we all know that not everyone who read this will find out that i was also an innocent person , if only you had contacted me first or just the police, i have just been ripped off as well, (bleeped)... please firstly clear my name on the forum and then i will do my best to help you out with the loss

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

So basically if he does not receive payment within a few days he automatically sells it off to someone else.... So any UK boardies know of a regular comic art dealer who visits the Leeds show?

Sorry but you shouldn't have hit the BIN. Since you did you should have replied to his messages.

He still shouldn't have traded the book when a deal on eBay was pending. What did the T&C say, like payment excected in how many days?

Either way i'm not sure i even believe he traded the book. He might still have it. I don't trust him at all.

Regards Darryl

- silver-acre

No, he has stated that he already traded the $3000 comic to someone, although he has no contact information for this individual. "Fortunately" he "may" see him again at an upcoming show.

Did anyone notify Daryl that the comic was stolen prior to Saturday?

Did the police or USPS postal inspectors ever notify ebay via their stolen goods form?

Until 4 days have elapsed from a NPB case being opened from eBay, a seller is supposed to hold all purchases committed to by a buyer.

I don't believe he already moved it.

If it was me, I would pay for it with a credit card.

When he does not ship, you can Neg him.

He will not ship because he will be afraid that you will do a chargeback.

If he does ship, you will have several options.

At this point it has been found that Darryl bought the book from Geoffrey's comics in Cali. The book was then shipped to him in the UK where he says he traded it.

Getting the book back looks slim. Geoffrey's comics did say that they have the I'd and address if the guy that sold it to them. So today/tomorrow I get to be on the phone with postal inspectors and the local/Cali DAs office to file police reports.

I did ask Darryl why he traded the book with a pending ebay sale too which I am waiting on a reply. Darryl was not informed about the book being stolen as USPS asked me not to inform him as they wanted to work with the Uk police to recover the stolen property. Now that Darryl has found out I am sure the book is long gone or at least the serial number linking him to it is.

At this point it has been found that Darryl bought the book from Geoffrey's comics in Cali. The book was then shipped to him in the UK where he says he traded it.

Getting the book back looks slim. Geoffrey's comics did say that they have the I'd and address if the guy that sold it to them. So today/tomorrow I get to be on the phone with postal inspectors and the local/Cali DAs office to file police reports.

I did ask Darryl why he traded the book with a pending ebay sale too which I am waiting on a reply. Darryl was not informed about the book being stolen as USPS asked me not to inform him as they wanted to work with the Uk police to recover the stolen property. Now that Darryl has found out I am sure the book is long gone or at least the serial number linking him to it is.

You mean you didn't directly inform him. Anyone, including Silver Acre, could read this thread. I'm guessing he checks the board from time to time.