• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing comic now turned up on eBay, seller silver-acre. Help

338 posts in this topic

At risk of sounding too 'manly'.

Why not get someone to go to the store and go:

"This is stolen - The Police are on their way"

If he moves, the biatch.

Simples.

Too many internet scams, and yet when the 'stolen' book is in the same City as a heap of UK boardies - nothing direct is done.

I mean, its not like most have any teeth to lose?

Man up chaps.

An excellent and reasoned post, with no apparent flaws. Except that:

1) There is no proof that Silver Acre is knowingly handling stolen goods.

2) Daryl is much more likely to listen to the actual police, or to eBay, than some random crazy coming to his warehouse and demanding that he hand over a $2000 book which as far as he knows has been bought in a totally legit way.

3) If he says "OK, I'll wait for the police", they won't be on their way, and the person at the warehouse will look even more crazy.

4) there's no evidence that this is an internet scam or, at this point, that Daryl is a willing participant at all. Much more likely some crook stole the package in the mail and offloaded it to the nearest large dealer.

5) you're absolutely right - it's a crying shame that when something like this comes to light at 4am UK time, nothing "direct" has been done by 11am.

6) please provide a list of the "heap of UK boardies" that live in Chester. I can't for a minute believe that you just spouted some absolute rubbish without knowing the facts.

Tim, my love for you is growing by the post.

Infatuation is next.

You gorgeous, are a 'hunk - a - hunk of burning love'.

:luhv:

If you love me, set me free - by not posting nonsense.

Why does anybody even bother replying to him. :facepalm:

OK, PLEASE tell me you haven't bought the book through eBay that Silver Acre has for sale and you say is the one you bought from dscott.

If you HAVE NOT done this you will not be out of pocket (much). Between USPS, insurance and dscott you are likely to be made almost completely whole financially.

Let the USPS investigation take its course. Don't fret. The wheels of those particular investigatory authorities grind slowly, but exceeding fine.

If he paid with Paypal (not Personal) it is still owned by dscott and JoSeph would not be out of pocket for the original purchase price even if it was never found.

Since JoSeph has all the evidence, I would wait for dscott to get direction from USPS, then file with ebay's Stolen Property Notification

Excerpt:

If you see stolen property on eBay or items with missing or altered serial numbers, please contact local law enforcement immediately and ask them to contact us using our form reserved for law enforcement officials. Under eBay’s privacy policy, our attorneys will provide important records about pending and past listings in response to an official request from law enforcement officials.

When the law enforcement official contacts us, ask that he or she include all relevant information, including the case number and any item numbers or user IDs. This information appears on the listing page.

Please don't use the law enforcement form to contact us unless you are a law enforcement official.

Daryl deserves to be out the money.

They can make it up on the books that they cancelled from me and then relisted at 4x my original purchase price.

Ah, the Bolland collection by any chance? What was Brian thinking? :facepalm:

You can ask Brian at LSCC lol

Daryl deserves to be out the money.

They can make it up on the books that they cancelled from me and then relisted at 4x my original purchase price.

Ah, the Bolland collection by any chance? What was Brian thinking? :facepalm:

You can ask Brian at LSCC lol

I know you're joking, but it just made me think;

BB's decision to sell through Silver acre now looks even worse because surely he would have been much better off consigning with a dealer who would actually be attending the biggest con in the country? Especially as BB will be there himself - he could have signed some of the books there etc. Missed opportunity imho, even notwithstanding Darryl's shady rep.

I was saying that to be snarky as I recently found out all UK and AU dealers have to do is call eBay and say that the feedback is defamation and hurts their business and it has to be removed. That is why UK dealers tend to have more 100% feedback than others. The laws over there are different than anywhere else and eBay has to remove any feedback the dealers don't agree with. I recently had a 20 min talk with eBay about this.

Guys, assume the persons involved are reading this as everyone is typing.

If the USPS insurance was paid out then it’s a closed case. You could have alerted the seller that the book was reported missing. No one knows if it was stolen or simply left on the wrong persons doorstep. He is in the UK. USA possession of stolen property laws mean nothing there. You don’t know how many hands that book passed through before landing on his EBay sales list. The USPS will not invest the time and money tracking a comic book through the USA, across an ocean, and the UK for a couple of thousand dollars. If you bought the comic legit again, then what is your real claim with Paypal? I’m not sure, but if you recovered the comic, you may have to pay back the USPS insurance claim and deal with the red tape on your own.

Now picture walking into your local precinct and telling them that someone stole your comic book, you would like to file a police report, and that the perpetrator is in the UK.

If you’ve been paid out, let it go. Alert the seller and let him decide how to handle it. Give him whatever proof he would need if asked.

I was saying that to be snarky as I recently found out all UK and AU dealers have to do is call eBay and say that the feedback is defamation and hurts their business and it has to be removed. That is why UK dealers tend to have more 100% feedback than others. The laws over there are different than anywhere else and eBay has to remove any feedback the dealers don't agree with. I recently had a 20 min talk with eBay about this.

Ah I see. Is that right? I know we have some very stupid laws about libel that need changing. Didn't know that had bore any effect on ebay.

Not to stay off topic of the original thread as its more important, but yes because of the laws in the UK and AU if you leave a negative, and simply say comic not in stated grade it is removed. I left a neg and stated this very thing and it was removed for defamation under UK laws I gave no opinions and had photo evidence. eBay told me I did nothing wrong but their hands are tied.

Not to stay off topic of the original thread as its more important, but yes because of the laws in the UK and AU if you leave a negative, and simply say comic not in stated grade it is removed. I left a neg and stated this very thing and it was removed for defamation under UK laws I gave no opinions and had photo evidence. eBay told me I did nothing wrong but their hands are tied.

Not strictly true, Brian. Having been involved with comment removal myself, it depends on the precise content, and you certainly don't get a free pass to have anything removed.

Additionally, eBay will remove the comment in certain circumstances, but will not remove the negative. You won't be able to find the line with the neg, but it will still show in your ratings. (thumbs u

Very interesting case. It's nice for once to see where a "lost" parcel ended up. And it's proven for sure the book didn't make it to the intended address.

I agree with Peter's post, that it was stolen by a postal employee (or contractor). I'm sure they looked right at the insurance and customs form, saw what was inside and the declared value, then decided to steal it. Thief then probably figured it would be best to unload it somewhere where it likely would not be found ever or for a long time (another country). Good thing they weren't smart enough to do a crack and re-sub, leads me to believe thief was not too smart about comics.

I would be nice to Darryl in this case, as he likely holds the key to finding out how the book wound up in has hands. I hope the police will at least ask a few questions of him.

Please post the outcome of this matter.

Case is being handled by USPS postal inspectors and their counter parts in the UK and AU. They asked that we not post any details about the case online while they are investigating.

Once everything is completed I will let you know if the book was recovered or not. Thanks for the help with info about the seller on ebay guys.

Joseph has been refunded for the value that he asked me to insure the book at and I am also looking into additional compensation for him in the mean time.