• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
21 21

2,978 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2023 at 9:29 PM, trademarkcomics said:

So, I just bought my first Marvel Team-Up double(I had Amazing, Spectacular and Spidey Super Stories so now I have all of his first four series with doubles), and was wondering how rare this is:

A double cover with an arrival date stamp:

mtu99dc2.thumb.png.c483ff0368cb70e29aa48fc352fd5f61.png

mtu99dc.thumb.png.2d3ac37f557f532be1fa33be8f3e2bfd.png

mtu99dc3.png.0ee34cf18f57eb555b3bffa15c2e5310.png

I would think it would be against nearly all odds that a comic with an error would not only slip through unnoticed and then get shipped on top of a stack of books sent to the newsstand! hm

Im always looking out for my bday stamp 9/4.  I saw this book but didn’t notice the stamp.  Keen eye!!! 

On 3/25/2023 at 11:17 AM, OtherEric said:

That's the first I've ever heard it suggested that only the top book on the stack would get stacked, though.  I always thought they would stamp every book in the batch, so they knew when to pull them off the shelves.

Still an awesome book, and I love date stamps when they're well placed, which this one is.

Well, as some on the Mark Jewelers thread will attest after I brought something to their attention, being in the industry a long time does not mean one knows everything. When I was a kid, I would wait for my local convenience store owner to unpack the books and he would always write "received" and the date on the top book so I would avoid that one. So, due to that experience I always assumed it was a receive date and only the top copy would get it. Now that you have brought this to my attention, I'm left to wonder why he did that. It makes way more sense that it was to keep track so they would know when to send the unsold copies back for credit.

sheepisg.gif.6f62c7cae513f3970c6d8483acabc44a.gif 

On 4/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Oooo...I nearly pulled the trigger on this one. He who hesitates...

Great deal! Need a Neal Adams double in my collection. Had a GL 76 but sold it to a friend who's a big GL fan...

Lol I did think about you when I saw it, priced at $200 when regular 7.0 go for $130 a decent value. I have #400 purchased (not a double cover though) and will almost be the last of my Neal Detective run, unless I get the one with the jouster as well. I've wrapped up the Batman Neal too, so thanks for letting me have this one. ^^

A second appearance too, which I do most of the time collect as well even if it's raw for moderns, but especially for ones where I can't afford the first  :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/13/2023 at 4:33 PM, trademarkcomics said:

Warning: New 0 Feedback double cover dealer: captainamerica5. Could be uniquecomics testing the waters with a new ID.  They have 4 up, only doubles. Pictures are not as good so hard to tell if legit or not. But one looks dirty on the inner cover...I'd be wary. 

Caution-Tape-Halloween-Red-and-White-Banner-Tape.thumb.jpg.70792faa411c4ebde23ee99f346bf1d8.jpg

New one: kingkongwongdong ...lol... Just posted a Superman that looks sketchy. Both this ID and the first I mentioned have zero feedback and are from Columbus, OH. I never looked to see where uniquecomics was from, but dollars to donuts it was Columbus, OH. I can't look at their ads anymore, but when I change the order of their sold items to nearest first, both of these new IDs and uniquecomics are exactly 2,060 miles away from me. :wink:

On 4/14/2023 at 12:54 AM, trademarkcomics said:

New one: kingkongwongdong ...lol... Just posted a Superman that looks sketchy. Both this ID and the first I mentioned have zero feedback and are from Columbus, OH. I never looked to see where uniquecomics was from, but dollars to donuts it was Columbus, OH. I can't look at their ads anymore, but when I change the order of their sold items to nearest first, both of these new IDs and uniquecomics are exactly 2,060 miles away from me. :wink:

Yes, uniquecomics was Columbus, OH too. 

On 4/12/2023 at 9:26 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I'm not certain if I previously posted the following comic book in this thread. Oh, what the heck.

512778_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Ni8zLzIwMTYgMTE6MzA6NDkgQU0%3d

That one is pretty unique. Don’t think I have ever seen a giant with multiple covers. Due to the binding process, it is glued after being stapled. Pretty hard to glue two covers to each other. 

On 4/14/2023 at 8:39 AM, Robot Man said:

That one is pretty unique. Don’t think I have ever seen a giant with multiple covers. Due to the binding process, it is glued after being stapled. Pretty hard to glue two covers to each other. 

I have an Amazing Spidey Annual 10 that is a double. The top cover is loose and not glued(as it states on the Det #440 label). I'm sure many of the squarebound copies that had the extra cover the outer cover was used as a poster or simply discarded. I have a squarebound ASM #200 with a double interior, I'm pretty sure it also had a loose outer cover but it didn't stay with the book. 

Edited by trademarkcomics