• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CELEBRATE THE DOUBLE COVERS
21 21

2,978 posts in this topic

:( Hey Charles I hate to tell you this but I was talking to gijoe about that quadruple cover comic that you got on ebay and he said that the seller had sold him some fakes a while back with multiple covers and that he figured that this one was probably fake too, hope he is wrong for your sake. :wishluck:

Yeah, I thought so, thanks Terry. I knew my luck couldn't be that good, I'll figure something out.

Wow!

hs6vsk.jpg

Wow is right!

Fake?

I got this email from gijoed today.

On 3/20, I bought a Web of Spider-Man 85 with four covers from a different ebay seller (320228044596). I left pos feedback for him, but on closer examination I believe this book also has married covers and is not an error. The seller is willing to give me a refund, which is nice, and I am shipping the book back today. The seller has sold a second 4X of Web of Spider-Man 85 to a different ebay buyer, and now has two triple covers and another quad cover listed on ebay. He said he got a box of comics at a garage sale, although the odds of finding 3 quad covers and 2 triple covers in one box seems astounding to me. I have five quad covers in my collection which are the results of 30+ years of searching.

Wow!

hs6vsk.jpg

Wow is right!

Fake?

I got this email from gijoed today.

On 3/20, I bought a Web of Spider-Man 85 with four covers from a different ebay seller (320228044596). I left pos feedback for him, but on closer examination I believe this book also has married covers and is not an error. The seller is willing to give me a refund, which is nice, and I am shipping the book back today. The seller has sold a second 4X of Web of Spider-Man 85 to a different ebay buyer, and now has two triple covers and another quad cover listed on ebay. He said he got a box of comics at a garage sale, although the odds of finding 3 quad covers and 2 triple covers in one box seems astounding to me. I have five quad covers in my collection which are the results of 30+ years of searching.

One of those quad covers is probably my Defenders 51 I found. That's how I started talking with Joe. You cannot mistake quad covers as the book is a lot heavier than normal. That's the only reason I even took it out of the bag. A vg copy that maybe made it to F+ by the time you got to the last cover. Kind of funny.

I found a Green Lantern silver age double cover last week. I'll post a pic later this week/weekend.

Very nice DD 131!

I wonder how many times per day gijoed checks for new double covers? I can't believe he hasn't snapped up that double cover FF 108 yet, but maybe he is waiting for price drop. I would love to see his collection some day.

So after reading that there is ANOTHER eBay seller releasing fake manufactured multiple cover error comics, I tried it myself. I've been collecting them when I can afford them, but have suspected it might be easy to make fakes for some time now, so I wanted to see how hard it would be. (Note, this copy is not for sale and if you see it for sale). I'm also finishing putting together a double guts version (that wouldn[t be possible with a manufactered error the way I'm doing it and I'll show you later why). I found a copy of a comic I have many multiples of (it's a title that nobody is going to loose sleep over), found a few copies that have the staples in the same location so the covers would match up. Used a couple of tools to unfold the staples back to just under 90 degrees and pulled the staples out. Put two covers over each other and made sure the holes lined up and put them back together. I'm sure if I put some tape over the tools it would be very difficult to detect it the staples have been removed. Another indicator may be that the guts hang and inside cover hang out past the outer covers. My best guess would be to see if the holes where the staples are are look "unnatural". Here's my result (for educational purposes only). So be warned when purchasing multiple cover comics that they may be faked...

56872-Triplecoverfake.JPG.89775a7ec58ed67cc81535dc4c577427.JPG

So with my leftover guts I alternated the pages right side up and up side down and come out (since the top and bottom holes lined up, which I don't think is usual) with this Frankenstein (Frankenbook) concoction. (By the way, I ended up popping the centerfold at the staples taking these pics.)

56873-doublegutsfake.JPG.9a379559756aa9ff9f354cc5c4e56d1e.JPG

56875-doublegutsfakei.JPG.39db190968ce172c5e1e876a2a8f4055.JPG

Newbie Questions----

1. Why does CGC give the overall grade based on the interior cover instead of the exterior cover.

2. Have you ever come across one where the exterior cover was the better of the two.

Newbie Questions----

1. Why does CGC give the overall grade based on the interior cover instead of the exterior cover.

2. Have you ever come across one where the exterior cover was the better of the two.

1) Think of a comic book, then give it a grade. Then put another cover on it and give the outer cover a grade.

2) No

I believe they give the grade on the better of the two, not the interior (just most of the time the interior is better). I think there is a pic. in this thread that shows one that has the interior creased so it received a lower grade. It's a complete comic either way with an extra cover. I don't think the grade should matter on the cover if it's interior or exterior.

Newbie Questions----

Yes, I have an Journey into Mystery 112 where the inside cover is missing the top corner, but the outside has it. I have seen this defect on a few other double covers also.

Newbie Questions----

1) Think of a comic book, then give it a grade. Then put another cover on it and give the outer cover a grade.

2) No

:shy:lol