• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2023 at 8:51 PM, Mr.Illmannered said:

That dollar bin keeps bearing fruit!

C06C0F5C-CBD6-420B-B24F-6D0702E7BA50.jpeg

What kind of hooded, axe-wielding maniac walks around barefooted? Come on...

On 5/9/2023 at 9:42 PM, Sarg said:

The Marvel/Atlas covers from 1949 are so weird. It's a shame so little is known about the artists. 

Right... some really weird and overlooked stuff.  I love the art on those books.

On 5/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, Sarg said:

Matt Fox is so weird he makes Basil Wolverton look normal.

The inking that he did for interiors on guys like Larry Lieber at the tail end of his career is so stylized and weird that it's hard to make out the artist underneath.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:35 AM, *paull* said:

The inking that he did for interiors on guys like Larry Lieber at the tail end of his career is so stylized and weird that it's hard to make out the artist underneath.

I'd love to see that- big Matt Fox fan- can you give any specific issues I could search for?  His pulp covers are great also.

Edited by Black Bat

On 5/10/2023 at 2:26 PM, Black Bat said:

I'd love to see that- big Matt Fox fan- can you give any specific issues I could search for?  His pulp covers are great also.

Me too... I love this Marvel work that he did.  I found a page with some detailed information and a bibliography.  I wonder if Larry Lieber did all those weird alien heads just for Fox. 

https://whosoutthere.ca/2020/04/03/odd-pairings-lieber-fox/

On 5/10/2023 at 1:39 PM, *paull* said:

Me too... I love this Marvel work that he did.  I found a page with some detailed information and a bibliography.  I wonder if Larry Lieber did all those weird alien heads just for Fox. 

https://whosoutthere.ca/2020/04/03/odd-pairings-lieber-fox/

Wow thanks for the excellent ref- love the Foxx/Lieber bibliography at the end- gonna be some reading!  

On 5/11/2023 at 8:11 AM, Jayman said:

Also not that easy finding a copy with entire last G in CHILLING on the cover. Most copies are cut off.

Chilling Tales # 13.jpg

Nice! I’ve seen 2 versions of this book: one with the blue background while the other is gray. 

On 5/11/2023 at 3:27 AM, Black Bat said:

Possibly my #1 all time favorite book, over the years I've bought 7,  3 of which I still have. One of the first 3 PCH books I bought at the SDCC back around 1990.  Just a fantastic issue inside and out.  The Screaming Skull is awesome, and the The Hand Of Glory is, from what I've seen, my favorite Matt Fox interior work.

Screen Shot 2023-05-11 at 12.20.20 AM.pngScreen Shot 2023-05-11 at 12.13.37 AM.jpeg

And these came in the mail yesterday...

Did Fox do a lot of pre-code interiors?  His style seems to be an obvious fit for weird monster and sci-fi interior stories, but I don't recall seeing much from him.