• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

I've also been able to read the 16 page writeup for the "Pedigree Book" coming in the future. It's a good read, and Alan was gracious enough to share his detailed records of his part of the Okajima purchase for the book, which includes notes on all of the markings on the books from his portion of the collection.

I've also been able to read the 16 page writeup for the "Pedigree Book" coming in the future. It's a good read, and Alan was gracious enough to share his detailed records of his part of the Okajima purchase for the book, which includes notes on all of the markings on the books from his portion of the collection.

The Okajimas in my view are one of the more interesting examples of pedigree or if you prefer, provenance).

The pedigrees all have a story but the irony of this story -- that interned Japanese kids were reading WW2 comics filled with stereotyped Japanese soldiers and villains -- beats a story about how a collection was accumulated and saved. Sure, the latter appeals to nostalgia with the idylic recollections of how the guy walked down the corner store and how he saved his books many years. But the story behind the Okajimas makes them a part of history. I would be happy to find a good example

The Okajimas in my view are one of the more interesting examples of pedigree or if you prefer, provenance).

The pedigrees all have a story but the irony of this story -- that interned Japanese kids were reading WW2 comics filled with stereotyped Japanese soldiers and villains -- beats a story about how a collection was accumulated and saved. Sure, the latter appeals to nostalgia with the idylic recollections of how the guy walked down the corner store and how he saved his books many years. But the story behind the Okajimas makes them a part of history. I would be happy to find a good example

Agreed.

Pedigrees value are a mix of quality and provenance/story... I think Okajima books are far more about the story than the quality (though the page quality is very nice in them, and the upper grade books are very nice, there's definately more mid-grade Okas than a lot of other peidgrees). In that, even mid-grad Okajimas (7s and 8s) have an "over market" value.

Love my Okajima. Best backstory pedigree out there. Female collector. Japanese. Interned. And yet the books were saved fairly pristine.

:cloud9:

The camp books make up the most interesting pedigree there is, imo.

Have we established whether or not Okajima was the girl's last name?

According to japaneseinternment.org, only 6 individuals with the last name Okajima were interred, and none of them were children. The youngest, Fumiko Okajima, was born in 1921 in Fresno. She was interred at Gila River.

heart breaking shot for sure...

interesting that we've been thru a few months of auctions and no Okajimas to be found... WW had one for sale a few months ago, but that's the only one that's hit the public market...

y'all mean camp-coded ones? i see "plain ol" ones on occasion--that's how i got that jungle a couple months back.

I don't have an Okajima copy yet for my pedigree type set :cry:

I would like a coded one for sure. I've gotten a number of pedigree examples of late, but still plenty more to go

Just missed out on a Diamond Run. I know it has been de-frocked, but I thought it would be cool to own one

y'all mean camp-coded ones? i see "plain ol" ones on occasion--that's how i got that jungle a couple months back.

I would like a coded one for sure. I've gotten a number of pedigree examples of late, but still plenty more to go

Just missed out on a Diamond Run. I know it has been de-frocked, but I thought it would be cool to own one

I miss my Fighting Yank #8 Okajima. A really nice example. :cry:

I miss my Fighting Yank #8 Okajima. A really nice example. :cry:

That would be a fine addition to my set Jeff