• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

Sold over the weekend in HA's weekly auction

Jungle 88 Okajima ('48 I think)

Not on the current Okajima master list.

It went for $200, which was a premium over non-pedigree copies in the same grade, about a 2x multiplier...

It'll be interesting going forward if the market treats the camp books consistently different than the non-camp books. (remember the Boy camp book went for what 10x a non-pedigree copy?)

It went for $200, which was a premium over non-pedigree copies in the same grade, about a 2x multiplier...

It'll be interesting going forward if the market treats the camp books consistently different than the non-camp books. (remember the Boy camp book went for what 10x a non-pedigree copy?)

How has CGC been treating the writing on the camp books? Have they been downgrading much for it?

How has CGC been treating the writing on the camp books? Have they been downgrading much for it?

original owner markings dont get downgraded (for the writing) as far as I know.

Hmmm...if that's the case, I'll have to part company with CGC on the issue. The camp books are very cool, but writing on the cover is writing on the cover. (I guess I'm old school...I started collecting before "pedigree" was common in comic book parlance, and back then, writing on the cover--with the possible exception of a penciled arrival date--took a grade WAY down.)

Hmmm...if that's the case, I'll have to part company with CGC on the issue. The camp books are very cool, but writing on the cover is writing on the cover. (I guess I'm old school...I started collecting before "pedigree" was common in comic book parlance, and back then, writing on the cover--with the possible exception of a penciled arrival date--took a grade WAY down.)

I suspect you're in a very small minority on that point, Jimbo.

why would the penciled arrival date be an exception? if your stance is "non production marks on the cover are considered downgrades in condition" then any mark, pencil arrival date, a Larson "L", arrival date stamp should all be considered as part of a downgrade, the bigger the mark, the bigger the downgrade.

So if you have a small stain, you can upgrade the book by covering it over with writing. (tsk)

So if you have a small stain, you can upgrade the book by covering it over with writing. (tsk)

Who said that? We're talking about pedigree markings done at the time the book was released, not 70 years later to cover a stain.

Pencil lines usually cannot cover up circular stains.

why would the penciled arrival date be an exception? if your stance is "non production marks on the cover are considered downgrades in condition" then any mark, pencil arrival date, a Larson "L", arrival date stamp should all be considered as part of a downgrade, the bigger the mark, the bigger the downgrade.

It's not just about logic; it's about tradition, too. Penciled arrival dates (and distributor's marks) were treated like part of production (maybe because they occurred prior to sale, if your looking for a logical reason). Anything else written on the cover, like an owner's name, would result in a downgrade, sometimes all the way down to VG depending on the amount of writing. Ink was considered worse than pencil. None of the dealers or collectors I dealt with back in the 80s would have called a book VF if it had writing in ink on the cover. Granted, I dealt with a small pool of amateur dealers and LCS owners in the Detroit area.

i stand ready to talk turkey with all you poor, unfortunate souls who have vastly downgraded books that say "lamont" or "larson" on them. pm's welcome.

or Eldon !

It's not just about logic; it's about tradition, too. Penciled arrival dates (and distributor's marks) were treated like part of production (maybe because they occurred prior to sale, if your looking for a logical reason). Anything else written on the cover, like an owner's name, would result in a downgrade, sometimes all the way down to VG depending on the amount of writing. Ink was considered worse than pencil. None of the dealers or collectors I dealt with back in the 80s would have called a book VF if it had writing in ink on the cover. Granted, I dealt with a small pool of amateur dealers and LCS owners in the Detroit area.

I see your point that in this particular case the name "Okajima" is written rather obtrusively large. But, as a practical matter, CGC doesn't downgrade for names or marks associated with a pedigree, so far as I can recollect, and the market certainly doesn't.

To my mind, the Okajima signature adds to the appeal of these books and I would be willing to pay more for a book with it than for a book without it.

I need to scan in my "Frank" Detective book which is really nice except it says "Frank" on the cover. The dealer sold it as a VG because of the writing. Bought it in 1989. I also have a nice Batman 23 that was a birthday present that has a birthday notation written on the cover. Same deal, heavily discounted from the writing. Purchased in 1997 I believe. Maybe I will scan them in tonight hm

Who said that? We're talking about pedigree markings done at the time the book was released, not 70 years later to cover a stain.

Oh, I realize that... I was just making a snarky passive-agressive comment about the disproportionate weight given to the most insignificant of stains in CGC's mysterious grading rubric.

About time this thread had a bump

This raw has become

I am still lookin for more, but here is one I found

INDIANS9.jpg

INDIANS9COA.jpg

This slab, pity the 9.0 couldnt hold up, but I still love it.

Sorry about the rubbish scan :(

Indians9.jpg

Indians9COA.jpg

this bump reminded me that Worldwide sold a Whiz Comics #58 a few weeks back... needless to say I was pizzed that I missed buying it by about an hour.

And its a LATE camp book!

Reciept date of 4-22-44

code = 4T

special notes: No "Okajima" -script on cover

special notes: "CAMP I" on cover

KTFkYHs.jpg

this bump reminded me that Worldwide sold a Whiz Comics #58 a few weeks back... needless to say I was pizzed that I missed buying it by about an hour.

And its a LATE camp book!

Reciept date of 4-22-44

code = 4T

special notes: No "Okajima" -script on cover

special notes: "CAMP I" on cover

KTFkYHs.jpg

I bought it