• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Wow, that is awesome!  Is there a picture online of the Red Dragon?  I have a few issues that fit right into portions of the titles that she was buying.  My Captain Marvel Adventures #30 ("Okajima" on cover, no date or code) would be after the Captain Marvel 28 ("Okajima" only), and just before the Captain Marvel 31 ("Okajima" plus date & code), so that would maybe help show the cutoff between just the name on the cover and when they had the name/date/code.

I have the Sensation Comics #34 as well, which came from the same source, but unfortunately it had no markings on it -- so I'm not sure yet if CGC will certify it as an Okajima.  It fits right in there (she had #30, 32, 35), and it had the same look as the other coded ones from the period, but I'd understand if it couldn't get the pedigree status (that's one I'd just keep if that happened, since I'm convinced it is one).  

I believe the Red Dragon image is located somewhere on this thread.  It had no markings - I presume it was submitted with one of Alan Bahr's certificates. 

Your find is certainly helping to fill in a number of the very early missing gaps, pretty exciting.  What's bizarre is that prior owner's recollection of the collection acquisition falls outside the "Estate Sale" origin story.  Seems a bundle or two must have slipped out of that shed or were given away/sold somewhere earlier up the line.  Although there was that "3rd buyer" who I believe is still a mystery.  Is there any possibility somehow your guy's story just got mixed up and these originated from the 1995 sale?

Edited by path4play

25 minutes ago, Action252Kid said:

Wow, that is awesome!  Is there a picture online of the Red Dragon?  I have a few issues that fit right into portions of the titles that she was buying.  My Captain Marvel Adventures #30 ("Okajima" on cover, no date or code) would be after the Captain Marvel 28 ("Okajima" only), and just before the Captain Marvel 31 ("Okajima" plus date & code), so that would maybe help show the cutoff between just the name on the cover and when they had the name/date/code.

I have the Sensation Comics #34 as well, which came from the same source, but unfortunately it had no markings on it -- so I'm not sure yet if CGC will certify it as an Okajima.  It fits right in there (she had #30, 32, 35), and it had the same look as the other coded ones from the period, but I'd understand if it couldn't get the pedigree status (that's one I'd just keep if that happened, since I'm convinced it is one).  

I don't own this, it's from my comicconnect watch list. One that got away

red4.35a-1.jpg

16 minutes ago, path4play said:

I believe the Red Dragon image is located somewhere on this thread.  It had no markings - I presume it was submitted with one of Alan Bahr's certificates. 

Your find is certainly helping to fill in a number of the very early missing gaps, pretty exciting.  What's bizarre is that prior owner's recollection of the collection acquisition falls outside the "Estate Sale" origin story.  Seems a bundle or two must have slipped out of that shed or were given away/sold somewhere earlier up the line.  Although there was that "3rd buyer" who I believe is still a mystery.  Is there any possibility somehow your guy's story just got mixed up and these originated from the 1995 sale?

See that's what I'm thinking.  At first, I thought that I might've been buying these from the original family (the seller was located in the right general area), then I was told the story about them being given to a great aunt years ago, but I suspect these could've actually come from that estate sale.  Of course, if these were somehow tied to that mysterious 3rd buyer, you'd think that there are (or at least were) more of them, but I was told that this was everything.  

9 hours ago, Action252Kid said:

See that's what I'm thinking.  At first, I thought that I might've been buying these from the original family (the seller was located in the right general area), then I was told the story about them being given to a great aunt years ago, but I suspect these could've actually come from that estate sale.  Of course, if these were somehow tied to that mysterious 3rd buyer, you'd think that there are (or at least were) more of them, but I was told that this was everything.  

Maybe after she stopped adding to her collection she gave some out to some kids for mowing the lawn or something, who can know.  Its interesting they are a spectrum of titles, and from a wide range of dates so there was no real discernible logic to the pulling. 

Edited by path4play

11 hours ago, path4play said:

This is what I have compiled from this thread, GPA, online sales, collector sharing etc.,

Please feel free to edit, update and add

Do you have a list of post-camp books?   Or can you point me to one?

All the info. lists etc is contained withing this thread, I am sure it was Miraclemet who used to update it as peeps posted their books and more info discovered.

I think it was ongoing and dependent where in the thread you look as to how up to date the list would be, its been a long time since I read through but its well worth the read. 

Edited by Kevin.J

Hi.  Fascinating stuff.  Joining discussion late so trying to understand how to identify these pedigree books.  If a handwritten alphanumeric notation such as this one appears on the top left front cover of a 1943 comic book, does that indicate Okajima pedigree, despite "Okajima" not being written in cursive on front cover?   

804646696_WambiJungleBoy3-frontcropped.jpg.cbbf139eb1f85d66180738e7b2b38472.jpg

Or is it necessarily the case that ALL Okajima books were notated in one specific way depending on issue date of book, e.g., with at least "Okajima" on front cover before 1944 and with no "Okajima" but a date stamp and/or camp-specific alphanumeric info after that?   I ask because it seems possible that Ms. Okajima could have obtained a 1943 book from the same source in a subsequent year (say 1946?), because the back issue caught her eye, etc., when just the alphanumeric notation was being used.  

1 hour ago, october said:

Yeah I was looking closely at that one too and had bid in and sniper loaded. 

On 2/11/2020 at 6:05 AM, path4play said:
On 2/11/2020 at 6:04 AM, zosocane said:

Do you have a list of post-camp books?   Or can you point me to one?

I do not, nor have I ever seen one.  It would be like 900 books vs. 100 camp era ones.

It's quite evident that the Camp copies of this pedigree are the most desirable, as seen from the huge multiples they sell for.  (thumbsu

Any idea if the post-camp Okajima books would also carry some kind of lower multiples to guide or just a premium to condition guide?  hm

On 7/6/2019 at 4:39 PM, jabats said:

I think I got into the pedigree about two years ago. Here are the camp books in my collection:

F956E5EF-9A0A-4E8D-8D8C-476097211B8D.jpeg

For all of you camp collectors out here, any idea of how much of a hit is applied by CGC in terms of the final grade due to the writing on the covers here?  hm

I just find it rather a bit  :screwy: that CGC would consider telltale pedigree codings as defects and hence would downgrade accordingly for them.  :censored:   

Since the Church Mile High codes are usually always less obtrusive though, I imagine there's much less of a downgrade hit when grading for that pedigree.  Personally though, I would still always prefer a Church book with the Mile High code on it, as opposed to a Church book without the coding.  Then again, that's probably just me.  (shrug)  :takeit:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

For all of you camp collectors out here, any idea of how much of a hit is applied by CGC in terms of the final grade due to the writing on the covers here?  hm

I just find it rather a bit  :screwy: that CGC would consider telltale pedigree codings as defects and hence would downgrade accordingly for them.  :censored:   :takeit:

I'm particularly fond of that Whiz #58.  One of just two with the word CAMP written on it. 

Edited by path4play