• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

Cap City numbers:

MOS #17 - 18,700

#18 - 26,350 (I was off on this one. It does help to explain the prices.)

#19 - 96,700

#20 - 84,250

#21 - 138,050

#22 (regular) - 109,350

#22 (die-cut) - 400,450

Stunning, stunning numbers. DC's marketing plan was absolute brilliance.

The Death of Supes absolutely dominated the comics market from November of 1992 until the spring of 1993.

Supes' numbers were low for most of 1992, MOS in the 20s and high 10s, and then shot up to the 100s and then slowly fell over the course of the next 3 years. MOS wouldn't fall back to the 20s again until late 1995.

Keep in mind, these are Capital City order numbers, and do not include the other Direct Market distributors (Diamond, Heroes World, etc) or the newsstand.

Cap City was about 25% of the market. Puts the numbers for #22 into perspective.

Turok #1 sold 1.75 million copies to the Direct market...and it was only the SIXTH highest selling book of 1993 (MOS #22, Supes #78, Action #687, Adventures #500, 501.)

So, there's no significant difference between #17 and #18. ;)

Yeah, because 40% increases aren't significant. :eyeroll:

No, not at such a low number. Now the 400% increase from #17 to #19 IS significant. :sumo:

Thanks. It seems to the general audience, a 9.8 is "perfect" and a 9.9 or 10 must be hand-assembled by Benedictine monks or something.

Nope, a 10 is "perfect", 9.8s and 9.9s are just trailer-trash . . . lol:insane:

No, not at such a low number. Now the 400% increase from #17 to #19 IS significant. :sumo:

You are forgetting about the later printings.

You are also ignoring the perceived scarcity, which is what matters. At any given time there are anywhere from 3 to 6 times as many copies of MoS 18 available on eBay as there are copies of MoS 17. Always.

Edited by darkstar

You are forgetting about the later printings.

You are also ignoring the perceived scarcity, which is what matters. At any given time there are anywhere from 3 to 6 times as many copies of MoS 18 available on eBay as there are copies of MoS 17. Always.

Later-schmater. lol

Here you go - This Copy's Available :grin:

Cap City numbers:

MOS #17 - 18,700

#19 - 96,700

#20 - 84,250

#21 - 138,050

#22 (regular) - 109,350

#22 (die-cut) - 400,450

The Death of Supes absolutely dominated the comics market from November of 1992 until the spring of 1993.

Supes' numbers were low for most of 1992, MOS in the 20s and high 10s, and then shot up to the 100s and then slowly fell over the course of the next 3 years. MOS wouldn't fall back to the 20s again until late 1995.

Keep in mind, these are Capital City order numbers, and do not include the other Direct Market distributors (Diamond, Heroes World, etc) or the newsstand.

Cap City was about 25% of the market. Puts the numbers for #22 into perspective.

Turok #1 sold 1.75 million copies to the Direct market...and it was only the SIXTH highest selling book of 1993 (MOS #22, Supes #78, Action #687, Adventures #500, 501.)

Remember, the order numbers given are only around 25% of the total.

The 40% increase is significant. The 400% increase is crazy!

Cap City numbers:

MOS #17 - 18,700

#19 - 96,700

#20 - 84,250

#21 - 138,050

#22 (regular) - 109,350

#22 (die-cut) - 400,450

Remember, the order numbers given are only around 25% of the total.

The 40% increase is significant. The 400% increase is crazy!

Indeed. Which is why 17 & 18 should sell at a premium beyond the fact that they are the 1st (Cameo) and 1st (Full) Appearances. And Btw, DC does not consciously construct print runs like this - they're in the RETAIL biz, they didn't give a ratz butt about the after-market. :grin: They print books, they sell books. They sell more books, they print more books (and so on).

CGC protects the 9.9 and 10 grades, and has since Day 1. I have roughly 3-5 books in 9.8 slabs that are dead 9.9s all day, every day, twice on Sunday, everything.

The average 9.8 is a beautiful book, but it does have some flaws.

These books do not have those flaws, yet they default to 9.8.

It is unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

I've self subbed 6 10s and 1 9.9.

Just send a bottle of vodka in with the book next time. I wonder how workload affects how tightly and how closely the graders scrutinize a book. When CGC has a three-month backlog of Moderns to grade, do they really go out of their way to nitpick every spine tic and blunted corner? Or do they look it over and slab a potential 9.9 or 10 book in a 9.8 holder just to lighten the workload?

Edited by Amadeus Arkham

do they really go out of their way to nitpick every spine tic and blunted corner?

Of course they do. This is exactly what they do. (All whining aside.) ;)

I concur, I submitted 6 WD #33 that were flawless. I was sure that 3 out of 6 had a shot at a 10. I received 5 9.8's and a 9.6. :pullhair:

No doubt, you missed something. :baiting:

Seriously, if you sub books that were printed yesterday, you get what you pay for. :grin:

Just send a bottle of vodka in with the book next time. I wonder how workload affects how tightly and how closely the graders scrutinize a book. When CGC has a three-month backlog of Moderns to grade, do they really go out of their way to nitpick every spine tic and blunted corner?

Yes, as they absolutely should.

CGC protects the 9.9 and 10 grades, and has since Day 1.

The average 9.8 is a beautiful book, but it does have some flaws.

These books do not have those flaws, yet they default to 9.8.

It is unfortunate, but that's the way it is.

5EE3D02D-F493-41E9-8F12-1346E385A95F.jpg