• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2022 at 3:47 PM, Senormac said:

Someone has to cheer

:manhero: no biologist neccessary 

Heya Noob. 

:devil:

On 4/7/2022 at 12:52 PM, mims4321 said:

Hey everyone. Been collecting since I was about 8, but as of the past couple of years have been getting into graded books. I love indies and controversial/historical comics and just odd things in general. 

Thanks for having me! 

Welcome!if you like odd things in general well the cornfield library lounge is now infested with dafoe imps everywhere so enjoy it thanks to @onlyweaknesskryptonite:pullhair:, lol its all in fun but it scars you deep in the soul......

On 4/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, Namtak said:

Welcome!if you like odd things in general well the cornfield library lounge is now infested with dafoe imps everywhere so enjoy it thanks to @onlyweaknesskryptonite:pullhair:, lol its all in fun but it scars you deep in the soul......

1766477463_200(2).gif.c9ae5df7fae212166638d09c3efeff65.gif

On 4/13/2022 at 4:58 PM, Namtak said:

:signofftopic:

Hello everyone ! My names Sean. I’ve been a collector for over 20 years. Between sports cards, comics , vinyl records and much much more. I have an online shop as well but I won’t share that here unless someone asks 😆. No shameless plugging from me haha! I’m happy to be here and look forward to helping where I can ! 

On 4/18/2022 at 11:34 AM, Sseanbroken said:

Hello everyone ! My names Sean. I’ve been a collector for over 20 years. Between sports cards, comics , vinyl records and much much more. I have an online shop as well but I won’t share that here unless someone asks 😆. No shameless plugging from me haha! I’m happy to be here and look forward to helping where I can ! 

Man I collected sports cards as a kid in the late 80's early 90's, and they were so over printed that I never could get the swing for the hobby lol 

I even sold some to a shop recently.... Idk if I got a deal or not, Nowitzki Iconic brand rookie, for something like $40 lol 

Welcome here, I hope it all goes smoothly, and you enjoy ^^ 

On 4/18/2022 at 3:56 PM, Tank the Dog said:

Hi everyone!  Started collecting comics during the 90s comic craze, stopped for a long time and started back up around 2015.  Huge fan of Silver age marvel and Bronze Age Swamp Thing.  Love the forum!

Hello tank! Speaking of tanks, I hope the market learned from said 90's, concerning cards and comics.

Revisiting is fun, but I'm glad the day is new, welcome to the boards!

Hello to all the community,
Happy to introduce after being a regular reader of this forum for years.
I'm French, I'm 41 years old, living in Paris, and I'm a collector since my childhood. My interests are wide and I have accumulated a large collection over time.
Of course all the french and european culture linked to comics but I've also always had a great interest for comics and mangas. 
I learned to read in a magazine named Charlie mensuel that my father collected in the 70's (magazine inspired by the Italian Linus) which in addition to publishing the adult authors of the rising adult comics of the time contained many classics of the comic strip: Krazy Kat, Peanuts, Li'l abner ...
He was a librarian and he was in charge of the purchases. When he kept me at work I spent my day reading the reprints of comic strips made by the Futuropolis publishing house in its copyright collection.
This gave me access to a number of classic adventure comics: Prince Valiant, Terry and the pirates, Buz Sawyer, Polly, Mandrake, Flash Gordon, Popeye, Tracy... 
In the early 90's these expensive books were sold for almost nothing after the bankruptcy of the editor. I was able to acquire many of them and I read and re-read the historical introductions of these books. 
In addition, my parents spent all their free time in the so-called "brocantes", a very French phenomenon where people sell everything they no longer want. They are sometimes spread out over miles and you can find wonders for almost nothing. According to the knowledge of the sellers. Especially if like us you go there very early. 
It was from the middle of the 80's to the end of the 90's, before the internet.  Access to knowledge was difficult, the world of collectors was secret and very hermetic. But little by little I started to understand and when I had access to the equivalent of the overstreet (the BDM) I learned by heart the tens of thousands of references and their prices. Then I discovered the specialized booksellers and some of them were very kind to me (others much less so) because I seemed to be a UFO in my generation, with a passion for the 30s to the 50s. 
So I was fed with the fanzines of the 60's and 70's which didn't interest anyone at that time. 
An article changed my life, in the issue 22 of Giff-Wiff, the first fanzine dedicated to the American comic-strip in France, it listed the comics of the golden age and reproduced the covers. I was done for. Soon after, I found a book about the Kirby of the golden age, then about Jack Cole, then about the E.C ... From there I started looking for them, and it was almost impossible.
The meeting with a bookshop will give me an entry door on what will become a big part of my culture. Actualités existed since 1967 and had been the epicenter of the underground culture during the 70s. Pierre Scias, the master of the place, was the hub of all the artists, collectors, American dealers who came to Paris... With the end of the Hippy wave, the bookshop had lost interest for a young public, and other places had opened. Temps futurs, Déesse, Album ... which was the equivalent of the development of comic shops in the USA.
But the reserve was still full of free press, obscure left-wing booklets and thousands of comics. And Pierre told me all about the rise of fandom in France, which was very much linked to American fandom. He passed away in 2006, I used to visit him every other day. 
In the meantime, I had started to buy lots to finance my collection and I was spending more and more time on it. I also had the chance to spend two summers in Connecticut where I couldn't find more Golden Age comics than in Paris. It was the time of the rise of Image, of the death of Superman and even if I was reading those comics, I was still more fascinated by the history of the medium.
Anyway I have accumulated a large collection, the comics (all genres) portion is 55 yards long, including a near perfect underground comix collection, 1000 fanzines, 2500 golden age comics, the first 15 years of Garo, maybe 5000 free press newspapers, 1000 posters, American sex press and of course tons of French stuff.
As I'm working with my dear friend Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr on a book related to the rise of the fandom / underground I thought it would be a good idea to start (finally) to get involved in the comics community. 
Also I'm gonna more be focuse on collecting comics so I will be happy to find treasures here and I will also sell stuff (trades will be welcome).
If I can help anyone here, let me know, for historical informations or finding stuff in Europe ... I spend a lot of my time in book shops as I sell books (in another field than comics but not far). And I come very often in NYC.
Thanks to the courageous that arrived here !
A bientôt.

On 4/24/2022 at 4:23 AM, DenisColt said:
Hello to all the community,
Happy to introduce after being a regular reader of this forum for years.
I'm French, I'm 41 years old, living in Paris, and I'm a collector since my childhood. My interests are wide and I have accumulated a large collection over time.
Of course all the french and european culture linked to comics but I've also always had a great interest for comics and mangas. 
I learned to read in a magazine named Charlie mensuel that my father collected in the 70's (magazine inspired by the Italian Linus) which in addition to publishing the adult authors of the rising adult comics of the time contained many classics of the comic strip: Krazy Kat, Peanuts, Li'l abner ...
He was a librarian and he was in charge of the purchases. When he kept me at work I spent my day reading the reprints of comic strips made by the Futuropolis publishing house in its copyright collection.
This gave me access to a number of classic adventure comics: Prince Valiant, Terry and the pirates, Buz Sawyer, Polly, Mandrake, Flash Gordon, Popeye, Tracy... 
In the early 90's these expensive books were sold for almost nothing after the bankruptcy of the editor. I was able to acquire many of them and I read and re-read the historical introductions of these books. 
In addition, my parents spent all their free time in the so-called "brocantes", a very French phenomenon where people sell everything they no longer want. They are sometimes spread out over miles and you can find wonders for almost nothing. According to the knowledge of the sellers. Especially if like us you go there very early. 
It was from the middle of the 80's to the end of the 90's, before the internet.  Access to knowledge was difficult, the world of collectors was secret and very hermetic. But little by little I started to understand and when I had access to the equivalent of the overstreet (the BDM) I learned by heart the tens of thousands of references and their prices. Then I discovered the specialized booksellers and some of them were very kind to me (others much less so) because I seemed to be a UFO in my generation, with a passion for the 30s to the 50s. 
So I was fed with the fanzines of the 60's and 70's which didn't interest anyone at that time. 
An article changed my life, in the issue 22 of Giff-Wiff, the first fanzine dedicated to the American comic-strip in France, it listed the comics of the golden age and reproduced the covers. I was done for. Soon after, I found a book about the Kirby of the golden age, then about Jack Cole, then about the E.C ... From there I started looking for them, and it was almost impossible.
The meeting with a bookshop will give me an entry door on what will become a big part of my culture. Actualités existed since 1967 and had been the epicenter of the underground culture during the 70s. Pierre Scias, the master of the place, was the hub of all the artists, collectors, American dealers who came to Paris... With the end of the Hippy wave, the bookshop had lost interest for a young public, and other places had opened. Temps futurs, Déesse, Album ... which was the equivalent of the development of comic shops in the USA.
But the reserve was still full of free press, obscure left-wing booklets and thousands of comics. And Pierre told me all about the rise of fandom in France, which was very much linked to American fandom. He passed away in 2006, I used to visit him every other day. 
In the meantime, I had started to buy lots to finance my collection and I was spending more and more time on it. I also had the chance to spend two summers in Connecticut where I couldn't find more Golden Age comics than in Paris. It was the time of the rise of Image, of the death of Superman and even if I was reading those comics, I was still more fascinated by the history of the medium.
Anyway I have accumulated a large collection, the comics (all genres) portion is 55 yards long, including a near perfect underground comix collection, 1000 fanzines, 2500 golden age comics, the first 15 years of Garo, maybe 5000 free press newspapers, 1000 posters, American sex press and of course tons of French stuff.
As I'm working with my dear friend Jim Vadeboncoeur Jr on a book related to the rise of the fandom / underground I thought it would be a good idea to start (finally) to get involved in the comics community. 
Also I'm gonna more be focuse on collecting comics so I will be happy to find treasures here and I will also sell stuff (trades will be welcome).
If I can help anyone here, let me know, for historical informations or finding stuff in Europe ... I spend a lot of my time in book shops as I sell books (in another field than comics but not far). And I come very often in NYC.
Thanks to the courageous that arrived here !
A bientôt.

There are a few from other countries on the boards, and I hope you find any specifics that can help. I'm happy those trips to the library served you well (thumbsu

Welcome to the boards 🤪

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/26/2022 at 8:54 AM, nathan allen said:

I'm def one who lurks around and reads without responding. :) I'm a newbie to the board, been collecting/reading comics since the late 70's. I've never had a comic graded before and hoping you guys can guide me in the right directions of what to do and what not to do! lol

Hello, here is a thread that may or may not help :)

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/93-newbie-comic-collecting-questions/

I'm sure to most questions there is an answer, and welcome aboard!

On 4/26/2022 at 7:54 AM, nathan allen said:

I'm def one who lurks around and reads without responding. :) I'm a newbie to the board, been collecting/reading comics since the late 70's. I've never had a comic graded before and hoping you guys can guide me in the right directions of what to do and what not to do! lol

On 4/26/2022 at 9:18 AM, Wonderfulnews said:

Hey Y'all  - just another collector here to converse with others.  Cheers

Welcome to you both!!! :cheers:

On 4/27/2022 at 2:34 PM, cbudzan said:

Hey Guys, I'm Chris from the Great White North. I used to collect a ton, and my first submission to CGC is in Grading (i know, could still be a while). Pretty pumped up though, cool to see the status changing.  Happy to be part of the Crew!

Welcome!! :cheers: