• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,915 posts in this topic

On 6/9/2022 at 9:02 AM, Joleary732 said:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jack. I recently just got into collecting comics because I’m a big fan of the cover art and of course the stories. My coworker recommended me to join these CGC forums he’s been a member for 20 years. I look forward to learning as much as possible about comics while purchasing and selling some along the way. Excited to interact with all of you  

:headbang: 

On 6/9/2022 at 10:02 AM, Joleary732 said:

Hello Everyone,

My name is Jack. I recently just got into collecting comics because I’m a big fan of the cover art and of course the stories. My coworker recommended me to join these CGC forums he’s been a member for 20 years. I look forward to learning as much as possible about comics while purchasing and selling some along the way. Excited to interact with all of you  

Glad you signed up. Welcome! There’s a wealth of knowledge here! :applause:

Hello everyone,

I’m nDemik and in my mid 30’s and just started collecting less than a month ago. 
Walked into a comic book store and picked up some teen titans for my son (3rd grade) and started a convo with the store owner and he was kind enough to answer my elementary questions about comics and I ended up buying everything he had on the wall (all graded stuff he had)

my knowledge of comics started and ended with (Old comics are worth a ton!) and that was the extent of my knowledge of comic world (Not much has improved in these short weeks I’ve been involved 😅)

Started browsing online and did a little research and decided to start my collection with what majority considered key issues.

Apparently that method is frowned upon and I’m supposed to work my way up to a book and it’s the unwritten rule of comic world to just buy books you want right out 🤷‍♂️.

So far I’ve enjoy my short career of collecting and I’m just here to learn more about collecting and hopefully I can continue to grow my collection and maybe down the road I’ll learn enough to possibly contribute to the community as well. 

Edited by nDemik

Welcome @nDemik, and congrats on joining the hobby. You'll find lots of good info here, and plenty of friendly faces ready to help you out with some pointers. 

On 6/18/2022 at 8:45 AM, nDemik said:

Hello everyone,

I’m nDemik and in my mid 30’s and just started collecting less than a month ago. 
Walked into a comic book store and picked up some teen titans for my son (3rd grade) and started a convo with the store owner and he was kind enough to answer my elementary questions about comics and I ended up buying everything he had on the wall (all graded stuff he had)

my knowledge of comics started and ended with (Old comics are worth a ton!) and that was the extent of my knowledge of comic world (Not much has improved in these short weeks I’ve been involved 😅)

Started browsing online and did a little research and decided to start my collection with what majority considered key issues.

Apparently that method is frowned upon and I’m supposed to work my way up to a book and it’s the unwritten rule of comic world to just buy books you want right out 🤷‍♂️.

So far I’ve enjoy my short career of collecting and I’m just here to learn more about collecting and hopefully I can continue to grow my collection and maybe down the road I’ll learn enough to possibly contribute to the community as well. 

Awesome nDemik, just started and already passing it along to the next generation, kudos!

:headbang: learning and knowing are half the battle Yo Joe!

On 6/18/2022 at 7:45 AM, nDemik said:

Hello everyone,

Welcome aboard!! :cheers:

On 6/18/2022 at 6:45 AM, nDemik said:

Hello everyone,

my knowledge of comics started and ended with (Old comics are worth a ton!)hopefully I can continue to grow my collection and maybe down the road I’ll learn enough to possibly contribute to the community as well. 

Hi nDemik! Welcome. Just a question and a question/comment.

My question..when you said you bought out all that dealer's wall books ("all graded stuff he had") were they CGC type graded books or just books with a grade notated on a mylar?

My question/comment: from an old collector to a new buyer. First the (rhetorical) question: when you said "my knowledge of comics started and ended with (Old comics are worth a ton!)" who told you age equates to value? Do get that idea out of your head. Age itself does not make a comic valuable. Condition combined with importance, wether it be a first appearance of an important character such as Action 1, Detective 27, Tales to Astonish 27, Strange Tales 110, Fantastic Four #1 etc., an origin story, a classic cover, a first such as Eerie #1 1947 or Adventures Into the Unknown #1, specific artists or writers...these factors make a comic valuable because the demand is there.

Bottom line, demand dictates value, which accounts for the high prices being fetched by, for example, Hulk #181 with 15,658 CGC graded copies alone but an insane demand.

Anyway, I do hope you enjoy acquiring more comics and hope you can put a bit of your available $$$ into picking up some reader copies or reprints to give you a bit more insight into the characters, art, stories, genres, artists etc. Best of luck to you! 

Edited by PovertyRow
spelling etc

Hello. I forgot to mention a few posts earlier, I introduced myself to the forums and have posted parts elsewhere and i'm quite getting the hang of of these chat boards. It feels great ! NOW, I also forgot to mention I have a collection of my own and haven't asked this question but....What would be the appropriate threads on how to post pictures or picking the right image hosting website. I have a chromebook but I don't want to leave pictures on it as I don't have a PC anymore. I know you guys post lots and lots and LOTS of books. So if anyone can help me It would be greatly appreciated !! Thank You ! 

On 6/19/2022 at 6:58 PM, Strange-Avatar said:

Hello. I forgot to mention a few posts earlier, I introduced myself to the forums and have posted parts elsewhere and i'm quite getting the hang of of these chat boards. It feels great ! NOW, I also forgot to mention I have a collection of my own and haven't asked this question but....What would be the appropriate threads on how to post pictures or picking the right image hosting website. I have a chromebook but I don't want to leave pictures on it as I don't have a PC anymore. I know you guys post lots and lots and LOTS of books. So if anyone can help me It would be greatly appreciated !! Thank You ! 

If I'm following the question?

You dont need a 3rd party hosting sight to post to the boards, other than any computer, even a phone as long as it's your personal device. (thumbsu

If PC you mentioned meant like you have a mac rather than a Microsoft then it should still work. If you meant PC as in not your personal computer, maybe try your phone. Either way I think that phone is your answer.

Otherwise take a pic and upload to boards then delete from you device if not wanting to "not leave pictures 'on it?"

I hope i helped lol

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Thanks you helped very well and YES, This year I FINALLY upgraded to a new phone from my flip-phone (after all these years) so now I can take really good pictures !! I had to move abruptly three years ago so my Computer was on its way out (Being obsolete anyway LOL). Now I just have a typical google chromebook which is a perfect replacement. I just want the pictures existing on this site without imploding my devices as it's lot of gigs !! I also mentioned that i'm tech savvy but also have some limitations! Now, One more question, How do I display some *QUOTES* from my profile so I it appears under my avatar when I post stuff ? You guys are very humorous . :banana:

On 6/19/2022 at 5:36 PM, Strange-Avatar said:

Thanks you helped very well and YES, This year I FINALLY upgraded to a new phone from my flip-phone (after all these years) so now I can take really good pictures !! I had to move abruptly three years ago so my Computer was on its way out (Being obsolete anyway LOL). Now I just have a typical google chromebook which is a perfect replacement. I just want the pictures existing on this site without imploding my devices as it's lot of gigs !! I also mentioned that i'm tech savvy but also have some limitations! Now, One more question, How do I display some *QUOTES* from my profile so I it appears under my avatar when I post stuff ? You guys are very humorous . :banana:

Do you mean things like “A Collector, Weirdo and an icon.” ?  There’s only one way I know of to get that under your avatar, and only a Moderator is able to set that up(but not if you ask for it).  You can add stuff to your sig line, though, and that appears below any post you make.  

On 6/19/2022 at 8:47 PM, steveinthecity said:

Do you mean things like “A Collector, Weirdo and an icon.” ?  There’s only one way I know of to get that under your avatar, and only a Moderator is able to set that up(but not if you ask for it).  You can add stuff to your sig line, though, and that appears below any post you make.  

Thanks very much.  I actually like sig idea better. 

Hello, I'm Sean. Have been collecting in one form or another since the mid to late eighties with my first comics being Transformers and Conan back then. Right now, I'm an on-again, off-again collector as I have several other interests, a family, job, etc. My grail for a long time has been WWBN #32. I balked at paying $75 for a Fine/VF copy about 10-12 years ago on ebay, given it was as obscure as it was then, relative to most Marvels - and figured it wouldn't ever be much more than that. Perhaps I should have bought 10 of them back then!

At this point, I'm working on Conan, including the novels, and randomly grabbing older gold key Turoks and such. Conan has always had a special place for me, as Conan the Destroyer was my first introduction to swords and sorcery, which I've had a love for ever since.

I don't currently have any slabs, but perhaps that will change in the future.

On 6/20/2022 at 7:49 AM, Alarion said:

Hello, I'm Sean. Have been collecting in one form or another since the mid to late eighties with my first comics being Transformers and Conan back then. Right now, I'm an on-again, off-again collector as I have several other interests, a family, job, etc. My grail for a long time has been WWBN #32. I balked at paying $75 for a Fine/VF copy about 10-12 years ago on ebay, given it was as obscure as it was then, relative to most Marvels - and figured it wouldn't ever be much more than that. Perhaps I should have bought 10 of them back then!

At this point, I'm working on Conan, including the novels, and randomly grabbing older gold key Turoks and such. Conan has always had a special place for me, as Conan the Destroyer was my first introduction to swords and sorcery, which I've had a love for ever since.

Hello Sean, the 80's are when I first got my comic subscription, classic times for the wolverine. Slabs will come eventually and don't rush, I'm sure there are nuances I haven't figured out too.

Conan was a classic start to the bronze age, what a series!

On 6/20/2022 at 6:49 AM, Alarion said:

Welcome to the boards!!! :cheers:

Edited by Galen130

I am a 100% noob (to CGC). I own a few CGC graded comics, but more importantly, in my collection I want to get some graded as well. Not sure of the best way to decide WHICH books to submit, so I'm going to dive right in...

Any comments would be welcome.

On 6/25/2022 at 6:37 PM, rob2e said:

I am a 100% noob (to CGC). I own a few CGC graded comics, but more importantly, in my collection I want to get some graded as well. Not sure of the best way to decide WHICH books to submit, so I'm going to dive right in...

Welcome. What age do you collect? If they're all of a certain era you may want to post them in that era's boards and get some opinions (eg Silver Age). If there's a bit of everything, post in Comics General and you'll get some advice, or the Newbie Questions board. Want some opinions on what a certain book/s may grade out at? Post pics in the Please Grade Me section. People love to help, and you'll find plenty of friendly people here. 

On 6/25/2022 at 3:37 AM, rob2e said:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Here is a link to the spare a grade forum, I believe the limit is two threads a day. Quality scans or enough pics may give you an idea of what will grade out.

There is the newbie forum too that can be used for specific questions or maybe general ideas to get started. Basically you submit books either from before 1975 or after, and then gauge the value you'd like insured while at cgc according to the value it will have once graded. Sounds complicated but is easy to grasp, once you estimate condition and age of comic.

Welcome to the boards!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

mtc .. new victim here ..
been collecting WAYYYYYY too long (40+ years)

got the wrong 'slabs' of comic titles sent in me in a shipment ....and let the CCG folks know of this

but was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with this and how it got resolved in the long run