• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

I'm praying that they do a Partridge Family / Munsters / Bewitched / Roseanne move and change the actress for Tulip soon. There's no way that I can make it through a whole season of this broad

Three episodes in and it's pretty entertaining and I've enjoyed it.

There isn't one movie or TV show that follows the book or the comic exactly... So, not sure why a lot of people are surprised this isn't either. I'm with accessndx and believe this show is setting up everything nicely.

I understand people's concerns, but for a little perspective, realize that it's three episodes in to something that'll probably have to run for 40+ episodes to get the job done... assuming they're going for anything even remotely like the original story.

I was on the fence with this show when the trailers aired, but mostly I was on that fence because it didn't 'feel' enough like Preacher to me. It still doesn't. But I think it's interesting television up to this point, and it's good enough that I purchased the season. I'll watch the whole thing.

Having said that...

1. I've basically stopped thinking of the character as Tulip. She isn't Tulip at all. This is a little disappointing, but it is what it is... for my money her character was always the weakest, so perhaps the people developing the show thought so too :shrug:

2. The editing in the third episode was either just plain weird, or someone dropped the ball somewhere along the line.

3. I have to also guess Herr Starr unless the show developers are trying to pull a fast one on the comic readers. DeSade (as previously guessed) isn't exactly the quiet 'I'll wave my fingers to send you away type', and the clothes, build, and walk all screamed Starr.

4. Love me some Cassidy.

Three episodes in and it's pretty entertaining and I've enjoyed it.

There isn't one movie or TV show that follows the book or the comic exactly... So, not sure why a lot of people are surprised this isn't either. I'm with accessndx and believe this show is setting up everything nicely.

Walking Dead did a much better job of getting the viewer hooked right from the start, though.

That's actually one of my biggest concerns with Preacher - it's all fine & well that you're catering to the comic book crowd by promising great things to come when it hits season 2, but if you're aren't successful in pulling in the non-comic book viewers early on, there won't be a season 2.

I like Preacher, not love.

I think it has something to do with me knowing the comic books. I wonder how non-readers feel about the Western flashback. The angels don't strike me as angelic. I want to care for the characters but I just can't invest in them. Somebody here said it right. The Walking Dead captured viewers from the first episode. I am really hoping for Preacher to take off.

<a  href=Preacher.jpg' alt='Preacher.jpg'>

The problem with using The Walking Dead as a meter stick also relates to the fact that there's a LOOOOOONG history of zombie movies. Even if zombies "aren't your thing" you've been exposed to a lot of the mythology. People "get" zombies at an almost unconscious level.

Preacher is and was difficult to adapt for a number of different reasons, that may be precisely why they're taking a long, slow ramp to inform the viewers.

Sure, everyone knows what demons and angels are......but try explaining a guy that loves to bang meat, an undead, unstoppable force of nature that used to be a cowboy, an inbred messiah, a guy with an for a face, an super-morbidly obese Pope-like character, a ruthless Nazi that loves all forms of sexual perversion, some cannibals, vampires and an imagined companion-like version of John Wayne......and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

So, I finished episode three. Cass is great. Jessee is growing on me a little bit. Right now, my problem is that I don't care about the plot at all. Is there a plot? I'm really not sure. A bunch or random scenes spliced together with characters that haven't really been introduced yet = me playing on my phone through the second half of the ep.

I'll keep watching for now...

I liked the 2nd episode the best but as a whole its weird enough to bring back Lost flashbacks which is a good thing. They do seem to be masking the plot in a fun way (especially if you have not read the books) but I worry about it going over the line into confusing and dumb territory. But so far I'm happy with how its going.

I read the books 10+ years ago so I'm watching it 90% as just a TV show. I question their story telling abilities and if they are up to the challenge here.

I know we are 3 episodes into a very complicated story but it's just too all over the place. 2 minutes of the Saint and then nothing the next episode? Tulip is turned all the way to campy which is jarring with the overall tone.

It's not over yet but there's some fundamental issues that will be hard to correct.

Walking Dead's first episode bored me. I had to basically force myself to finish the first season. I haven't watched it since. Zombies have been done, literally, to death. Even the survival aspect of the story has been done to death with the whole post apocalyptic concept - Walking Dead blends those together, and none of it was really new (to me). At least Preacher is working some different angles.

So... I'm not in line with some of you guys who are saying Walking Dead was so great at really hooking you with those first few episodes - it obviously hooked a lot of people, but I wasn't one them, and I never got the hype.

So, I finished episode three. Cass is great. Jessee is growing on me a little bit. Right now, my problem is that I don't care about the plot at all. Is there a plot? I'm really not sure. A bunch or random scenes spliced together with characters that haven't really been introduced yet = me playing on my phone through the second half of the ep.

I'll keep watching for now...

I keep playing on my iPad through the show. Maybe I'm hard to hook. I'll keep watching but right now I feel like I had bigger expectations.

Watching it with my 17 year old daughter. Honor student and way smarter than me. Preacher virgin, no smart comments please. She keeps saying "Huh???" and "what?" and "who is that again?" and "I am so confused". But.... its keeping her interest. And she loves Tulip. Personally I am loving it

Watching it with my 17 year old daughter. Honor student and way smarter than me. Preacher virgin, no smart comments please. She keeps saying "Huh???" and "what?" and "who is that again?" and "I am so confused". But.... its keeping her interest. And she loves Tulip. Personally I am loving it

Hell, I know what's going on and I was scratching my head over the way they decided to portray Cassidy killing the "clones" a handful of times. There have been some really odd editing choices.

Last two CGC 9.8's of Preacher 1 have sold for $830 and $860 while 1 week ago there were still bringing about 1K. Don't know if its a trend yet but would suspect with the fact the ratings are going down as well that the pricing will too.

Last two CGC 9.8's of Preacher 1 have sold for $830 and $860 while 1 week ago there were still bringing about 1K. Don't know if its a trend yet but would suspect with the fact the ratings are going down as well that the pricing will too.

Or two folks got lucky.

3 episodes in.

Overall I like it but am not "hooked" yet (although I am going to keep watching because I am a fan of the comics)

2 big problems for me:

1) I can understand Arseface way better than I can understand Cassidy. If that's not corrected then they are going to lose a lot of viewers.

2) The editing is painful sometimes. When the 2 angels get out of their car and suddenly Cassidy hits/runs over them with his car.... I mean come on.... you needed to show Cassidy following them, or at least a shot of him driving with them in his sights. The church is in the middle of no where.... does Cassidy's car have a "stealth mode".

The editing is super choppy. Maybe they're having trouble fitting the episodes into the time constraints.

I thought that the angels getting run over was pretty funny. I didn't expect it.....and that was the funny part.

If there had been foreshadowing of it with Cassidy trailing them, it would have lost some of the comedic shock IMHO.