• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men: Apocalypse set for May 27, 2016

1,618 posts in this topic

The only people being so judgmental are the ones who are into comics like most of us. My wife thinks apocalypse looks cool. As in sure a lot of people do. I just sent things like that get me so butthurt anymore. I just enjoy it for what it is.

Oscar Isaac spoke with Entertainment Weekly about his costume:

"We had to do some adjustments here and there and be like, alright, maybe this is too alien, he also is someone who people would want to follow and not just be terrified of.

So the balance, and then making sure that there’s some great elements from the comic but also making our own thing as well. In the comic, he generally is like 12 feet, 600 pounds."

I always get nervous when I hear actors and/or directors say stuff like this.

I don't want you to "make Apocalypse your own", I want you to make him like he is in the books.

Maybe I'm too picky (shrug)

As for casting choices, I always thought that Brian Thompson would have made a perfect Apocalypse.

3844081-xs2b.jpg

That's what Wizard thought too…one of their X-Men Casting Calls said they'd like to see Brian Thompson as Apocalypse. He definitely has the face and stature for it.

Singer Defends Apocalypse's Costume

X-Men: Apocalypse director Bryan Singer, however, thinks the criticism of his design for the classic Marvel villain is a little off base. Singer says that the look of the character is actually more faithful than fans realize, and he wants everyone to take a closer look.

In a new feature in Empire, Singer has released a few new hi-res images from his upcoming epic with the hopes that fans will come around and appreciate the character's design. "He'll be very similar to images in the comic," the director says. "There's obviously something very futuristic and yet ancient to the design of both his costume and his physicality."

c6K5o6vl.png

The Reason Why Taylor Swift Met The X-Men Revealed

NOT DAZZLER!

:cry:

However, there is a much more logical and mundane reason: Kinberg is a fan of Swift's music.

He's in Taylor Swift's Instagram feed. Kinberg, 42, went to see the singer in concert in Montreal on July 7 with his X-Men: Apocalypse stars James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Sophie Turner (the new Jean Grey) and naturally took a pic with Swift. Does this mean he's joined the famous Swift squad? "I was already part of her squad," he jokes, and then immediately comes clean: "No, I don't even know what her squad is. But I do love that album!"

Why We Should Calm Down about Apocalypse’s X-Men Movie Design

The major change to the costume actually has a great story reason. The character’s history is indelibly tied to his time in ancient Egypt. Rather than just a touch of that, instead relying chiefly on the alien origins of his armor and his own tinkering with his powers as in the comics, the movie costume seems to have a very heavy focus on the Egyptian background. The aforementioned cowl is adorned with details made to look like a pharaoh’s robes, as are the majority of the rest of Apocalypse’s armor. Going over his head, its almost as if a jeweled headdress has been implanted atop his skull. Even the purple shading refers to royalty, a historically royal color. Overall, these are meant to show him as a king among men. It’s a look that doesn’t reflect the comics in an exact way, but it does reflect how Apocalypse sees himself: a ruler, who demands respect simply through his existence.

Would I have liked to see a muscle-bound, exaggerated, blue-lipped creature on the big screen? My grew-up-in-the-80s-and-90s instant reaction is of course yes. I, as a fan whose favorite character is Cable and favorite crossover event ever is Age of Apocalypse, have a strong nostalgic affinity to that character and his recognizable look. However, I also have an understanding of the difference in mediums between film and comics. What is acceptable in the world they had established over the course of 30 years in the comics when Apocalypse first appeared is starkly different to the rules of the world in the films. While he may not look exactly the same, he does look like ancient royalty, a figure who is so evolved that he’s also ironically set in his ways. The idea of a person pushing for evolution at all costs that holds onto a look 5,000 years old is actually quite amusing – and says something about his character.

The Reason Why Taylor Swift Met The X-Men Revealed

NOT DAZZLER!

:cry:

However, there is a much more logical and mundane reason: Kinberg is a fan of Swift's music.

He's in Taylor Swift's Instagram feed. Kinberg, 42, went to see the singer in concert in Montreal on July 7 with his X-Men: Apocalypse stars James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Sophie Turner (the new Jean Grey) and naturally took a pic with Swift. Does this mean he's joined the famous Swift squad? "I was already part of her squad," he jokes, and then immediately comes clean: "No, I don't even know what her squad is. But I do love that album!"

I think she could have been a decent Dazzler

Why We Should Calm Down about Apocalypse’s X-Men Movie Design

The major change to the costume actually has a great story reason. The character’s history is indelibly tied to his time in ancient Egypt. Rather than just a touch of that, instead relying chiefly on the alien origins of his armor and his own tinkering with his powers as in the comics, the movie costume seems to have a very heavy focus on the Egyptian background. The aforementioned cowl is adorned with details made to look like a pharaoh’s robes, as are the majority of the rest of Apocalypse’s armor. Going over his head, its almost as if a jeweled headdress has been implanted atop his skull. Even the purple shading refers to royalty, a historically royal color. Overall, these are meant to show him as a king among men. It’s a look that doesn’t reflect the comics in an exact way, but it does reflect how Apocalypse sees himself: a ruler, who demands respect simply through his existence.

Would I have liked to see a muscle-bound, exaggerated, blue-lipped creature on the big screen? My grew-up-in-the-80s-and-90s instant reaction is of course yes. I, as a fan whose favorite character is Cable and favorite crossover event ever is Age of Apocalypse, have a strong nostalgic affinity to that character and his recognizable look. However, I also have an understanding of the difference in mediums between film and comics. What is acceptable in the world they had established over the course of 30 years in the comics when Apocalypse first appeared is starkly different to the rules of the world in the films. While he may not look exactly the same, he does look like ancient royalty, a figure who is so evolved that he’s also ironically set in his ways. The idea of a person pushing for evolution at all costs that holds onto a look 5,000 years old is actually quite amusing – and says something about his character.

This is one of the reasons I chuckle so much at internet pendulum swing speculation based on little snippets.

People routinely get up in arms about just a little pic or a phrase.

lol

I just want Apocalypse to have the freaking big blue lips. That's all. Even the Power Rangers bad-guy look he's got is acceptable if he had the big blue lips.

WHOA!

She definitely wants to be taken serious in this role. She went off at the Hall H panel when she thought Michael Fassbender and Oscar Isaac were laughing at her when she spoke.

tumblr_nrdxd1YTtD1qly3wvo1_250.gif

I think they were just goofing around the entire time together.

I think she will be just right for the role.