• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

I watched three episodes the other night, might catch a couple tonight.

I like the Matt, Foggy and Karen characters.

Some neat fight scenes with great stunt work.

Some of the show seems a bit silly to me, though.

Like the fight scene where DD and Frank were fighting on the roof and the police were shooting at them and missing, of course. Not that this is unusual for TV or film, but for a show that's attempting to be firmly grounded in reality, stuff like this makes me doh!

Frank kills a dozen armed underworld types who are returning fire, but can't hit Karen or Grotto at the hospital. With a shotgun.

It's okay, like the last season. It's pretty good, but not great, IMO.

Hey, at least we got DD live on TV.

I can't complain (but sometimes I still do).

The thing about the show is, as you keep watching more episodes those things that make us smirk and question their reality or the "realness factor" of the show make more and more sense and your left wanting to watch more and smiling. I'm definitely one to want more out of a superhero show or movie, but not this one. I've never seen such great character development and wittiness. The show is the best hands down.

I also don't know how many would agree, but it's some of the best fight scenes I've ever seen. Of course I say that because it has some of my favorite characters fighting too.

You're right.

I watched three more episodes last night (4-6) and I'm enjoying the series more. :)

Good stuff.

I suppose the problem I'm having is that ever since he was introduced in ASM 129, I never cared for the Punisher character. (Yeah, I know, I know... )

He always struck me as more of a murderous terrorist than any sort of hero, and I've been baffled by his popularity. I never got it.

I'm enjoying the storyline so far in these first 6 episodes, so we'll see.

Looking forward to watching more of the series.

I could almost promise you that you will love the Punisher when you are done with all of them. I get to re-watch a couple episodes tonight with my wife as she catches up and I don't even mind.

Maybe I just missed it, but how is it that Frank Miller did not get prominent creator attribution for this series (or at least this season). As most of you know, much of this material is lifted right from his first DD run.

I know Lee and Everett are a big part of the credits...it just seems to me that Frank should be acknowledged as much as those two considering the show lifts giant chunks directly from his source material.

Edited by Annihilus

Lee and Everett get the main credit at the head since they created the character. (Wally Wood should be listed there as well.) The tail credits list numerous other creators who shaped the characters and book over the years.

Maybe if Frank Miller didn't decide to be the only guy who doesn't like the show they'd talk to him.

It probably had to be equal in quality to "The Spirit" before he'd recognize its quality. hm Or lack thereof. :insane:

Lee and Everett get the main credit at the head since they created the character. (Wally Wood should be listed there as well.) The tail credits list numerous other creators who shaped the characters and book over the years.

Len Wein gets NO credit for X-Men even though he's responsible for the team everyone loves.

I get that.

I went back and looked and Frank was credited only for 'creating Elektra'.

But we wouldn't have this (exact) TV show if there had been no Frank Miller. It probably wouldn't even remotely resemble what we are watching today. Miller didn't 'shape' this story. He (basically) wrote it. Stick, Elektra, The Hand, DD fighting ninjas with an arrow sticking out of his body. Most of the look and feel of the show started with Miller in the books.

Stan Lee is listed as an Executive Producer, what does he do on the show?

Be Stan Lee. That's essentially what he gets paid for doing all the time these days. Just Be Stan Lee.

Stan Lee is listed as an Executive Producer, what does he do on the show?

Nothing. The typical difference between a "producer" and an "executive producer" is that the executive ones had some influence on the film's creation but played no active role in producing the film. Stan Lee gets the executive nod for creating the characters on most of the Marvel films. Kirby also got one for FF, and Ditko also got one for Spider-Man. So Annihilus is wondering why Miller isn't getting one for Daredevil.

As Pontoon pointed out, he did get a writing credit. So did a number of other Daredevil authors and artists including Roy Thomas, Klaus Janson, John Romita, Jack Kirby, etc.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3322312/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Another example of how little you have to do to be an "executive producer"--Kevin Smith and his producer friend Scott Mosier were both listed as executive producers on "Good Will Hunting," and he's said in his podcast that the only reason for that is because Matt Damon asked him about directing the film because he was friends with Ben Affleck, but Smith turned it down, gave him suggestions for finding what he considered to be better directors, and gave him some other suggestions for the film. One conversation made them both "executive producers."

Daredevil when the Punisher kills people, "YOU MUST BE STOPPED!!!!!"

Daredevil when Elektra kills people, "How you doin?"

boobs_zpse3hv2e4h.gif

Just finished up the finale. I don't want to spoil anything, but will say that I thought it was exceptional. There's a lot going on in that last episode and I wasn't all that sure they'd be able to tie most of it up, but damned if they didn't do it.

Love these Netflix shows but it's always over too quickly.

Another example of how little you have to do to be an "executive producer"--Kevin Smith and his producer friend Scott Mosier were both listed as executive producers on "Good Will Hunting," and he's said in his podcast that the only reason for that is because Matt Damon asked him about directing the film because he was friends with Ben Affleck, but Smith turned it down, gave him suggestions for finding what he considered to be better directors, and gave him some other suggestions for the film. One conversation made them both "executive producers."

All you have to do is be involved in some small part of one episode to get a producer credit and then you will be listed as a producer for the whole series. When I did the pilot of Royal Pains with Jace Alexander, he was listed as executive producer on the pilot and his name remained as executive producer for all 8 seasons (along with 29 other producers) years after he had anything to even do with the show. Same with Joe Carnahan on Blacklist, he did the pilot and one other episode, yet he is still and executive producer on every -script we get three seasons later. And as long as you have the name producer tied to your name you continue to get the big bucks whether you are still involved or not.

I liked Daredevil but here is my problem.

I want to go on record that I very much enjoyed Jon Bernthal's portrayal of Frank Castle and that he made an excellent punisher. My problem is with the writing.

My biggest complaint with the Punisher was that they removed part of his accountability for his actions by stating that his brain changed after being shot in the head. The Punisher is really about consciously pursuing that life after having one bad day. The one bad day aspect allowed the suggestion that any of us could go down that path after having that "one bad day" But by removing the accountability, it casts too much of a sympathetic light on Frank and distracts the watcher from assessing the Punisher and the relationship to themselves in terms of if they are capable of going down that path. But again... that was the writing and not Bernthal’s portrayal. I look forward to seeing more of him in the role.