• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage February

440 posts in this topic

I assume there are no members in their 20s in this thread. They might be in an unfortunate position similar to mine, their first comic having been a grocery store newsstand purchase of X-Men #1E after having watched the Fox Animated Series.

No matter how nostalgic you are in this situation, the chicken is never coming home to roost.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector? I mean, OK, technically, I bought Man-Thing vol. 2 #6 a few years earlier on a family road trip, but that was a one-off and, really, that was more like my parents buying it for me to keep me occupied (incidentally, I passed on the opportunity to buy that Man-Thing cover when it was available a while back...it's certainly not what got me into comics and I don't have any special attachment to it!)

Later on, in 1983, a couple of my friends loaned me some of their comics to read, including Uncanny X-Men #172 and #173, which got me hooked on the X-Men and comics in general. Naturally, when I decided to take the plunge into collecting comics myself shortly thereafter, I went to the local 7-11 and bought a copy of the current issue of Uncanny X-Men, which was #176. I still have that copy, with the newsstand UPC symbol in the lower left and the slightest of corner creases in the upper right hand corner. That's where it all started for me. And now, the cover is mine! As we were talking about in that other thread, I don't care if it's not the best rendered piece of art in the world (though it is pretty darn cool), it's just a hugely nostalgic and meaningful acquisition in a way that few other pieces in the hobby could ever be for me.

I just wish I had known that I'd be able to get the cover for what I did (I was willing to go substantially higher, though not into X-Men Annual 5 territory - I'm afraid that even nostalgia has a price), as I might have bid more aggressively on some other lots as well.

Anyway, to get one of my all-time dream pieces in this auction cycle and not have to shell out an arm and a leg to do it...I consider that to be a major victory. ^^

Congrats on a sweet cover! I love stories Claremont and JRJR did on his first run. Those covers are hard to come by.

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector?

Brilliant! Welcome to the I-own-the-cover-art-to-my-first-comic club!

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector?

Anyway, to get one of my all-time dream pieces in this auction cycle and not have to shell out an arm and a leg to do it...I consider that to be a major victory. ^^

I know exactly how your feel. While I didn't win the cover to my first comic (JLA 29, anyone know if it still exists), I got a great page from it a couple of years ago.

So, dance away my friend!

My first comic was Marvel Treasury #14...it was the first time I had ever seen a comic and took a few months till I got another one. Imagine my disappointment when I found out all comics weren't Treasury sized lol

If you haven't seen it before, check out the TreasuryComics.com website. It's amazing and dedicated to ONLY Treasury sized comics.

Congrats, Gene!

I remember when I first started collecting OA, I thought about finding just that thing. I declared Avengers 225 my 'Grail' and vowed to search for it as long as it took... 3 months later it showed its face in an auction catalog. So much for my grand quest. (The battle ended up being a bit more exciting as I won it for 3x the Pre-Auction estimate and was literally on my last bid when I was declared winner)

Anyways, I love your X-Men 176 cover as well. That was from my first year of collecting. I remember picking it up off the rack, and I'd love to have it for my own collection.

P.S. be glad you didn't tell people it was at the top of your list

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector? I mean, OK, technically, I bought Man-Thing vol. 2 #6 a few years earlier on a family road trip, but that was a one-off and, really, that was more like my parents buying it for me to keep me occupied (incidentally, I passed on the opportunity to buy that Man-Thing cover when it was available a while back...it's certainly not what got me into comics and I don't have any special attachment to it!)

Later on, in 1983, a couple of my friends loaned me some of their comics to read, including Uncanny X-Men #172 and #173, which got me hooked on the X-Men and comics in general. Naturally, when I decided to take the plunge into collecting comics myself shortly thereafter, I went to the local 7-11 and bought a copy of the current issue of Uncanny X-Men, which was #176. I still have that copy, with the newsstand UPC symbol in the lower left and the slightest of corner creases in the upper right hand corner. That's where it all started for me. And now, the cover is mine! As we were talking about in that other thread, I don't care if it's not the best rendered piece of art in the world (though it is pretty darn cool), it's just a hugely nostalgic and meaningful acquisition in a way that few other pieces in the hobby could ever be for me.

I just wish I had known that I'd be able to get the cover for what I did (I was willing to go substantially higher, though not into X-Men Annual 5 territory - I'm afraid that even nostalgia has a price), as I might have bid more aggressively on some other lots as well.

Nobody mentioned the Wally Wood DD #6 page going for almost 54k. Don't really follow the prices on these Wood DD pages, but isn't that a big number? Seems like if it's Silver Age Marvel piece drawn by...just about anyone, it kinda blows up, especially but not exclusively the large art. But that's probably stating the obvious.

Scott

Great auction! Some very strong prices all around. The market clearly continues to be hot. I didn't win anything this time (first time in a while!) despite going strong on a couple pieces.

Was impressed by many of the prices, including the Sandman page, the Miracleman page (thought it'd go high, but not this high), the TOS cover (unusually high price given the restoration), and a few others. Congratulations to all the winners!

Nobody mentioned the Wally Wood DD #6 page going for almost 54k. Don't really follow the prices on these Wood DD pages, but isn't that a big number? Seems like if it's Silver Age Marvel piece drawn by...just about anyone, it kinda blows up, especially but not exclusively the large art. But that's probably stating the obvious.

Scott

I thought wood was extremely strong throughout this whole auction. The Heck/Wood avengers 3 panel page blew way past where I thought it would go as well. And as I earlier stated I lost out on the astonishing tles page which also went strong IMO.

Not sure if this was posted already .

Richard Evans won the Action #15 original art cover, owner of the 4-store Houston-area Bedrock City Comic Company retail chain. Evans states that he intends to put the cover on display in one of his stores.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/21/fred-guardineer-action-comics-15-superman-cover-original-art-sells-for-286800/

Scott

I thought wood was extremely strong throughout this whole auction. The Heck/Wood avengers 3 panel page blew way past where I thought it would go as well. And as I earlier stated I lost out on the astonishing tles page which also went strong IMO.

Yeah I thought the heck wood would do 7500 tops

TOS cover @167K, hmmm. I guess restoration is not a big problem, and I guess covers continue to rule...

Yes, I had heard there was SIGNIFICANT restoration on this (I believe it had serious water damage), but it's still a sharp looking cover. One of my favorites of the whole auction.

Scott

The description said "some" restoration. The word was that "significant portions" were re-inked, somehow I think NOT by Frank Giacoia :makepoint:

The Cover looked great but at 167K I'd want to see the before and after photos wouldn't you.

Congrats Gene, being a part of that club it is a pretty awesome thing. This was the only piece I bid on and I was pretty sure that given the time period there was someone else out there that wanted this one.

Glad to see it go to a good home. (thumbs u

Congratulations to the buyer of the Action Comics #15 cover at $286,800.00

(worship)

:acclaim:

if that was you, kudos (worship) Not sure how to read your post though as you have a good / sarcastic sense of humor sometimes :) and I'm not sure if you are referring to winning it or guessing the winning bid

I won that bad boy. There will be a musty old comics sales thread soon.

Wow, congrats Richard! (worship)