• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage February

440 posts in this topic

13k for the Dringenberg Sandman page... :o Interesting.

I think that's crazy money for a Sandman page, esp one featuring a pedophile....

A year ago, I bet that page goes for 1/2 to 1/3 that price. Movie hype $$?

I don't think the movie is far along enough to have had any impact here. It's simply where the market for this series has gone for some of the key artists (as I mentioned in the "'A' panel page" thread). And I wouldn't even call this an unqualified "A", even though I do like it a lot, especially since it's from my favorite arc. Was hoping to grab it "cheap". Congrats to the winner.

Wow, I think I'm going to really regret not picking up a sandman page on the "cheap" in the last few years....

Felix, where do you put that page vs the issue 1 page up on clink currently?

No Sandman on that page, but it is an issue 1 page (but is on the auction block for the 2nd time in short order)

I like the Heritage page better. I don't expect the Clink page to sell for as much, even if it's from #1. But we'll see!

did the Sandman cover just sell for less than the panel page?

Yes, it did. I was the underbidder, though was relieved when I was outbid, as I had decided it really wasn't for me. Very cool piece, though.

did the Sandman cover just sell for less than the panel page?

Where's that interiors that sell for more than covers thread when you need it???

For what it's worth, I'd also rather spend my $$ on an interior with Morpheus than an abstract art cover....

Yeah, definitely interesting, although I thought the 11k cover was in line with others that have sold. The interior page for 13k was very surprising, but exciting in that it might unearth some other pieces down the road.

The Kieth page from 1 without any major character in it, I bet goes 2.5-4k.

I agree with the interiors vs covers for Sandman in general (although I love McKean's work), but if it was one of the first 8 covers - that's a completely different conversation. :grin:

Yeah, definitely interesting, although I thought the 11k cover was in line with others that have sold. The interior page for 13k was very surprising, but exciting in that it might unearth some other pieces down the road.

The Kieth page from 1 without any major character in it, I bet goes 2.5-4k.

I agree with the interiors vs covers for Sandman in general (although I love McKean's work), but if it was one of the first 8 covers - that's acompletely different conversation. :grin:

I thought it would end closer to $20K even being as small as it is. The first 8 covers are a whole 'nother ball game, but I gotta admit, part of the reason I sold #4 was that, while I'm a huge McKean fan, there were interiors that I liked more than that cover.

BAm! 167k

Holy :o

Yeah, you ain't kidding, Simon. OA is so hot that everyone keeps asking me for OA tips instead of stock tips. :insane:

My conservative estimate on that IH180 page may have just gone sailing out the window, Gene

Yeah, I'd be more surprised at a sub-$200K result than a new record price for an interior. Though, my base case estimate is that it ends up somewhere in between.

Anyone know what the Mark Schultz Xenozoic Age piece went for? My computer conked out.

$5,975

Speaking of conking out, does HeritageLive! time out after a certain length of time? I was mortified when the audio/video feed reverted back to the log in screen about 5 lots before the lot that I was waiting to bid on. :eek:

TOS cover @167K, hmmm. I guess restoration is not a big problem, and I guess covers continue to rule...

Yes, I had heard there was SIGNIFICANT restoration on this (I believe it had serious water damage), but it's still a sharp looking cover. One of my favorites of the whole auction.

Scott

Congratulations to the buyer of the Action Comics #15 cover at $286,800.00

(worship)

:acclaim:

if that was you, kudos (worship) Not sure how to read your post though as you have a good / sarcastic sense of humor sometimes :) and I'm not sure if you are referring to winning it or guessing the winning bid

I won that bad boy. There will be a musty old comics sales thread soon.

:o Serious congrats... spoon Miller and McFartland -- this is history!

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector? I mean, OK, technically, I bought Man-Thing vol. 2 #6 a few years earlier on a family road trip, but that was a one-off and, really, that was more like my parents buying it for me to keep me occupied (incidentally, I passed on the opportunity to buy that Man-Thing cover when it was available a while back...it's certainly not what got me into comics and I don't have any special attachment to it!)

Later on, in 1983, a couple of my friends loaned me some of their comics to read, including Uncanny X-Men #172 and #173, which got me hooked on the X-Men and comics in general. Naturally, when I decided to take the plunge into collecting comics myself shortly thereafter, I went to the local 7-11 and bought a copy of the current issue of Uncanny X-Men, which was #176. I still have that copy, with the newsstand UPC symbol in the lower left and the slightest of corner creases in the upper right hand corner. That's where it all started for me. And now, the cover is mine! As we were talking about in that other thread, I don't care if it's not the best rendered piece of art in the world (though it is pretty darn cool), it's just a hugely nostalgic and meaningful acquisition in a way that few other pieces in the hobby could ever be for me.

I just wish I had known that I'd be able to get the cover for what I did (I was willing to go substantially higher, though not into X-Men Annual 5 territory - I'm afraid that even nostalgia has a price), as I might have bid more aggressively on some other lots as well.

Anyway, to get one of my all-time dream pieces in this auction cycle and not have to shell out an arm and a leg to do it...I consider that to be a major victory. ^^