• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage February

440 posts in this topic

yeah. I get your points. But its all conjecture both pro and con, any way you slice it 2c

Interesting conjecture, but not "proof" of anything at least IMHO 2c

Oh, I think your opinion is worth more than 2 cents. Ever since Canada got rid of the penny, we've been rounding up so your opinion is now worth a nickel :banana:

lol

:acclaim:

I have been known, on occasion, to ramp up the bidding early to accelerate price discovery. Let's say I am interested in both the John Byrne FF #256 cover and the John Buscema Avengers #42 cover and I have a total budget of $75K (for the record, I am not interested in either, this is purely for illustrative purposes). I might want to bid up the FF cover repeatedly to get some momentum/counter-bidding activity going. And, by doing so, with two weeks to go before the auction, I have gained some very valuable information - the FF cover is going to go for a minimum of $38.8K (where it is now), so that tells me I can scratch it off my list and focus all my budget and attention on the Buscema cover instead. Had I not kept bidding it up (again, purely for illustrative purposes - I didn't even put in a tracking bid on this one), maybe the cover is only at $15K before the auction and I have no idea how much i can spend on the Buscema (which will sell before the Byrne). And, as a result, maybe I end up with neither.

For most pieces, they are going to sell where they're going to sell, regardless of when the bidding takes place, so, usually the benefits of accelerating price discovery outweighs any potential downside IMO. 2c

What`s interesting to me is that this generally doesn`t happen in comic auctions. Comic bidders seem to go out of their way to suppress bidding early on, and I see very little of this kind of price discovery, even though all the same principles and dynamics should be at play.

I think there are a couple of reasons for that and the first is cost. Average OA piece is significantly more expensive than the comic counterpart at auction.

Gene's illustrated his example because it has real implications for his bidding practice. Meaning he has the means to go after two 30K pieces but 30K is still a level that he has to think about it, hence the strategy of price discovery.

If I'm buying 2 comics at auction and I think they are both around 500, that still only amounts to 1000 so give or take a few hundred bucks is probably not going to inspire me to chance price discovery, plus if I don't get that ASM in 9.4 there's always next auction and the one after that. But on a 30K piece the increments may be 1500-2000 a bid and you may never get a shot at the piece again, so seeing one bid up to 40K (where its appeal is very much lessened) is almost liberating to go and pursue the other piece with more vigor.

While I think price discovery is a very valid tactic, its use is also limited to certain circumstances - multiple interests at the top of your agreeable budget, etc and should be used sparingly as you may in the end be inspiring more bids and end up paying more.

2c

yeah. I get your points. But its all conjecture both pro and con, any way you slice it 2c

Interesting conjecture, but not "proof" of anything at least IMHO 2c

Oh, I think your opinion is worth more than 2 cents. Ever since Canada got rid of the penny, we've been rounding up so your opinion is now worth a nickel :banana:

lol

:acclaim:

I rounded down :whistle:

:facepalm:

:sorry:

:screwy:

:boo:

:whee:

(thumbs u

That's a nice cover but its not 18K nice IMO very surprised to see this break 10K given what the Subby-Torch cover did and what a few other Kane BA covers of the same Vintage failed to do.

That said I really like the inks on that piece just not 18K worth of liking.

:facepalm:

:sorry:

:screwy:

:boo:

:whee:

(thumbs u

That's a nice cover but its not 18K nice IMO very surprised to see this break 10K given what the Subby-Torch cover did and what a few other Kane BA covers of the same Vintage failed to do.

That said I really like the inks on that piece just not 18K worth of liking.

:gossip:

as it stands today its at $21,510 with juice

don't get me wrong, I love this cover and it was one of my main goals for this auction; was the underbidder until recently but now I'm out :sorry:

still will make me sad not to have it but might make me sadder if I had to keep bidding into the mid 20's for this

congrats to the soon to be new owner! Awesome cover!

I agree--I think the Captain Marvel cover is quite nice and it has a large figure of Capt. Marvel and Black Bolt.

No offense to those who love this cover but I don't see where the extra bump has come from to bring it up to $21.5k (or potentially higher). For example, I don't recall that the storyline and interior art were especially memorable.

Doesn't heritage know there's a Canada US hockey game on?

Poor planning :insane:

Seriously...I have my headphones tuned to the game sitting slightly askew on my head so I can also hear the auctioneer. lol

Doesn't heritage know there's a Canada US hockey game on?

Poor planning :insane:

Our workplace sent out a general email, saying network is slow and please stop streaming non-work related material. I'm guilty except for me its just HA live, not the game :P

Malvin