• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage February

440 posts in this topic

:banana: :banana: :banana:

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector? I mean, OK, technically, I bought Man-Thing vol. 2 #6 a few years earlier on a family road trip, but that was a one-off and, really, that was more like my parents buying it for me to keep me occupied (incidentally, I passed on the opportunity to buy that Man-Thing cover when it was available a while back...it's certainly not what got me into comics and I don't have any special attachment to it!)

Later on, in 1983, a couple of my friends loaned me some of their comics to read, including Uncanny X-Men #172 and #173, which got me hooked on the X-Men and comics in general. Naturally, when I decided to take the plunge into collecting comics myself shortly thereafter, I went to the newsstand and bought a copy of the current issue of Uncanny X-Men, which was #176. I still have that copy, with the newsstand UPC symbol in the lower left and the slightest of corner creases in the upper right hand corner. That's where it all started for me. And now, the cover is mine! As we were talking about in that other thread, I don't care if it's not the best rendered piece of art in the world (though it is pretty darn cool), it's just a hugely nostalgic and meaningful acquisition in a way that few other pieces in the hobby could ever be for me.

I just wish I had known that I'd be able to get the cover for what I did (I was willing to go substantially higher, though not into X-Men Annual 5 territory - I'm afraid that even nostalgia has a price), as I might have bid more aggressively on some other lots as well.

Anyway, to get one of my all-time dream pieces in this auction cycle and not have to shell out an arm and a leg to do it...I consider that to be a major victory. ^^

great story.... those childhood collectibles really hit home. Congrats! :headbang:

Well I lost on the first wally wood astonishing tales page which was my main target for the auction. Bid to my max value on it and it still went for a few hundred more. Should have taken a shot on the adams gl page 5 and if I won just forget about the wood page since now i got neither. Oh, well there is always next time.

TOS cover @167K, hmmm. I guess restoration is not a big problem, and I guess covers continue to rule...

Yes, I had heard there was SIGNIFICANT restoration on this (I believe it had serious water damage), but it's still a sharp looking cover. One of my favorites of the whole auction.

Scott

That's more than I knew, but I did note the slight caginess of the HA description, which acknowledged restoration but didn't commit to a full description of it. I wonder if disclosure standards will rise in the future as more and more serious money seems to be entering the fray?

I won the Romita Jr. Uncanny X-Men #176 cover. It was my only "must-have" piece in this auction - I mean, how many times in your life do you get to pick up the cover to the VERY FIRST COMIC you ever bought as a collector? I mean, OK, technically, I bought Man-Thing vol. 2 #6 a few years earlier on a family road trip, but that was a one-off and, really, that was more like my parents buying it for me to keep me occupied (incidentally, I passed on the opportunity to buy that Man-Thing cover when it was available a while back...it's certainly not what got me into comics and I don't have any special attachment to it!)

Later on, in 1983, a couple of my friends loaned me some of their comics to read, including Uncanny X-Men #172 and #173, which got me hooked on the X-Men and comics in general. Naturally, when I decided to take the plunge into collecting comics myself shortly thereafter, I went to the newsstand and bought a copy of the current issue of Uncanny X-Men, which was #176. I still have that copy, with the newsstand UPC symbol in the lower left and the slightest of corner creases in the upper right hand corner. That's where it all started for me. And now, the cover is mine! As we were talking about in that other thread, I don't care if it's not the best rendered piece of art in the world (though it is pretty darn cool), it's just a hugely nostalgic and meaningful acquisition in a way that few other pieces in the hobby could ever be for me.

I just wish I had known that I'd be able to get the cover for what I did (I was willing to go substantially higher, though not into X-Men Annual 5 territory - I'm afraid that even nostalgia has a price), as I might have bid more aggressively on some other lots as well.

Anyway, to get one of my all-time dream pieces in this auction cycle and not have to shell out an arm and a leg to do it...I consider that to be a major victory. ^^

great story, congrats!

great story.... those childhood collectibles really hit home. Congrats! :headbang:

Yup, congrats Gene! Even though I had bought some comics beforehand, the two the really ignited the fire within me was when I went to the 7-11 and bought Mavel Spotlight #5 (first Ploog Ghost Rider issue) and House of Mystery 204 with a Ghastly like Bernie Wrightson cover. I now own that cover and paid through the nose to get it for exactly the same reason you mentioned Gene. And I have a few pages from that Ploog Ghost Rider issue too. Nostalgia isn't everything for me, but it's still counts for a lot!

Scott

HOM 204 was an incredible issue - who wouldn't get hooked on that?? Same with MS5.

The first English language comic I owned was Wolverine LS #2 - and who wouldn't get hooked on that??

I wonder if guys whose first comics were total drek got hooked at nearly as high a rate. hm

Yup, congrats Gene! Even though I had bought some comics beforehand, the two the really ignited the fire within me was when I went to the 7-11 and bought Mavel Spotlight #5 (first Ploog Ghost Rider issue) and House of Mystery 204 with a Ghastly like Bernie Wrightson cover. I now own that cover and paid through the nose to get it for exactly the same reason you mentioned Gene. And I have a few pages from that Ploog Ghost Rider issue too. Nostalgia isn't everything for me, but it's still counts for a lot!

Scott

For me, Avengers 64, X-Men 59. Chances of me ending up with either of those covers are not lookin' too good! But an interior page might not be totally out of reach. Anyway, it's really about Mister Miracle 2, my first 4th World book. And I do have the splash to that, and it rocks so hard that even Vinnie C. couldn't hold it back!

Well I lost on the first wally wood astonishing tales page which was my main target for the auction. Bid to my max value on it and it still went for a few hundred more. Should have taken a shot on the adams gl page 5 and if I won just forget about the wood page since now i got neither. Oh, well there is always next time.

Hah, I was on that one too...and it was also my main target. I think I stopped around the $2500 - $2600 mark. So there were at least three of us that really wanted it. :D

Looking back on it know, I'm kinda glad I didn't go up to $3000 as it was only the 2nd & 3rd panel that really did it for me because they were very "EC-like" the rest wasn't really that good.

HOM 204 was an incredible issue - who wouldn't get hooked on that?? Same with MS5.

The first English language comic I owned was Wolverine LS #2 - and who wouldn't get hooked on that??

I wonder if guys whose first comics were total drek got hooked at nearly as high a rate. hm

My first comic was Marvel Treasury #14...it was the first time I had ever seen a comic and took a few months till I got another one. Imagine my disappointment when I found out all comics weren't Treasury sized lol

Hah, I was on that one too...and it was also my main target. I think I stopped around the $2500 - $2600 mark. So there were at least three of us that really wanted it. :D

Looking back on it know, I'm kinda glad I didn't go up to $3000 as it was only the 2nd & 3rd panel that really did it for me because they were very "EC-like" the rest wasn't really that good.

That was my thinking exactly. I figured I could check a lot of boxes with that page, Wood pencils and inks, Red Skull, EC ish, and just great all around art. But like you I thought mid 2s was the value so I stopped around there. Frustrating!