• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, I was hoping to hear some thoughts on a move I've been thinking about for some time. I have an AF 15 .5 Blue. It looks not so good but it is complete (which many .5's are not). It's kind of like the John Merrick of AF 15's. 

Because of the grade it doesn't really fit with my other big early Marvel keys which are at least 3.0's. I have been thinking about selling and buying an ASM 1 (which I don't have) with the proceeds. I figure I could get an ASM 1 4.0 with the funds form the AF 15 or put out a few more bucks for a 5.0. Low grade AF 15's are, as we know, unpredictable. I've seen low grade, really bad looking raw copies go for more than many  .5 cgc graded copies in the same time frame. 

Anyway, what do you think? Keep one of the worst looking graded examples of the King of the Silver Age or sell it and get a decent looking ASM 1? Another option I've considered was selling the AF 15 .5 and wait for an AF 15 1.5 or possibly a 1.0 to come around. Of course that would take at about 5K to 8K more to acquire.

A- Keep it and be happy I have one.

B- Sell it and get a comparably priced ASM 1.

C- Sell it and dish out extra dough for a 1.5 or 1.0 

D- Something else

Thanks, :peace:

1962-8 Amazing Fantasy 15.jpg

back 1962-8 Amazing Fantasy 15.jpg

On 9/17/2022 at 8:40 PM, Professor K said:

Hey everyone, I was hoping to hear some thoughts on a move I've been thinking about for some time. I have an AF 15 .5 Blue. It looks not so good but it is complete (which many .5's are not). It's kind of like the John Merrick of AF 15's. 

Because of the grade it doesn't really fit with my other big early Marvel keys which are at least 3.0's. I have been thinking about selling and buying an ASM 1 (which I don't have) with the proceeds. I figure I could get an ASM 1 4.0 with the funds form the AF 15 or put out a few more bucks for a 5.0. Low grade AF 15's are, as we know, unpredictable. I've seen low grade, really bad looking raw copies go for more than many  .5 cgc graded copies in the same time frame. 

Anyway, what do you think? Keep one of the worst looking graded examples of the King of the Silver Age or sell it and get a decent looking ASM 1? Another option I've considered was selling the AF 15 .5 and wait for an AF 15 1.5 or possibly a 1.0 to come around. Of course that would take at about 5K to 8K more to acquire.

D- Something else

Personally I’d upgrade for another AF15. As you say it’s the king of the silver age and as you already own, it’d be a real shame to not own and you’d miss having it in your collection ( I presume ) 

On 9/17/2022 at 3:40 PM, Professor K said:

D- Something else

If you have enough money - C and upgrade.  Otherwise A and be happy you own a copy. I got my AF CGC .5 right before the market went crazy. At the time I had the money to get either the AF15 or an Amazing Spiderman 1 CGC 2.5. After a lot of thought I bought the AF15 as I didn't think I would ever have the chance again and I was right. I could never afford to buy my same book now with the increase in prices and I'm glad I own the very first Spidey which I plan on keeping forever. 

FB_IMG_1663451149350.jpg

On 9/17/2022 at 12:40 PM, Professor K said:

D- Something else

the good news is that the cost for getting into an AF15 2.0 or 3.0 is coming down from where it was 6-12 months ago. the bad news is that you will get less for your copy too, should you choose to sell it. i agree with @The lips that AF15 is more important to own than asm1, but i also understand why such a beat up copy would bug you. 

it's always a dilemma when the market is down- big books get more affordable, but we get less for what we need to sell or trade to make it happen.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:06 PM, The lips said:

Personally I’d upgrade for another AF15. As you say it’s the king of the silver age and as you already own, it’d be a real shame to not own and you’d miss having it in your collection ( I presume ) 

Yes I would miss having one. 

On 9/17/2022 at 5:52 PM, Cushing Fan said:

If you have enough money - C and upgrade.  Otherwise A and be happy you own a copy. I got my AF CGC .5 right before the market went crazy. At the time I had the money to get either the AF15 or an Amazing Spiderman 1 CGC 2.5. After a lot of thought I bought the AF15 as I didn't think I would ever have the chance again and I was right. I could never afford to buy my same book now with the increase in prices and I'm glad I own the very first Spidey which I plan on keeping forever. 

FB_IMG_1663451149350.jpg

Yours is way better than mine. No tape and the title logo is complete. Among other things.

On 9/17/2022 at 5:57 PM, alexgross.com said:

the good news is that the cost for getting into an AF15 2.0 or 3.0 is coming down from where it was 6-12 months ago. the bad news is that you will get less for your copy too, should you choose to sell it. i agree with @The lips that AF15 is more important to own than asm1, but i also understand why such a beat up copy would bug you. 

it's always a dilemma when the market is down- big books get more affordable, but we get less for what we need to sell or trade to make it happen.

Yes that is the dilimma. The question is how low will it go. To sell or not to sell, that is the question. And yeah it does bug me. I only paid 1,500 for it raw but yeah. I suppose I should make up my mind quick. 

Thanks all

Edited by Professor K

D- Something else

Hi Professor K. I messaged you privately. I'd prefer to have AF15 over ASM1, but you need to make the decision of what you want.

D- Something else

I think you save and sell, then go for the AF15 in 1.0 or better. 

I'm in a similar situation. 

I have a .5 with no BC and would like to upgrade as well. So I'm watching prices carefully. 

The month's not over yet but the sale of a rather unremarkable 3.0 on eBay for $50k caught my eye (I suspect the difference between the price Ebay is showing now and what was captured in GPA is due to changes in exchange rate).    Chart below updated with Sept sales today including last night's Heritage results.  

319072744_ScreenShot2022-09-19at7_23_42AM.thumb.png.689bb0b02a18906fe9a5d4df3f9ebedd.png

1684644785_ScreenShot2022-09-19at7_27_14AM.thumb.png.e97014de61b04cb9109677ed7e5c21cb.png

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Without really studying the data, it feels like AF15 tends to go through quick and dramatic price increase followed by years of stagnation or slow growth.

The last 2 years have been a very unnatural time for all collectibles and it will be interesting to see what happens from here.  

I'm guessing there will be more downward pressure on comics as the economy continues to hit headwinds.  I also think comics recovering will happen in a more normal way.  You woon't see dramatic price increases like we have seen. Books will catch fire and go through big pushes, only to see long windows of stagnation. 

So I do believe AF15 will continue to be the biggest book of the SA and it will recovery in time. 

On 9/19/2022 at 7:30 AM, DC# said:

The month's not over yet but the sale of a rather unremarkable 3.0 on eBay for $50k caught my eye (I suspect the difference between the price Ebay is showing now and what was captured in GPA is due to changes in exchange rate).    Chart below updated with Sept sales today including last night's Heritage results.  

319072744_ScreenShot2022-09-19at7_23_42AM.thumb.png.689bb0b02a18906fe9a5d4df3f9ebedd.png

1684644785_ScreenShot2022-09-19at7_27_14AM.thumb.png.e97014de61b04cb9109677ed7e5c21cb.png

this sale never made it into GPA - I assume that means they determined it was never completed for whatever reason.     

A moderately chipped OW page 3.5 (though I thought it had nice colors) just closed for $27,600 on Heritage.    Last time 3.5 sales were in that range was back March 2021 (28k, 28.5k, 28.8k).  

768962812_ScreenShot2022-10-02at4_53_21PM.thumb.png.2b0ed6bcefd843faf53ee1ff43b81f1c.png

On 10/1/2022 at 8:12 PM, KCOComics said:

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. 

Without really studying the data, it feels like AF15 tends to go through quick and dramatic price increase followed by years of stagnation or slow growth.

The last 2 years have been a very unnatural time for all collectibles and it will be interesting to see what happens from here.  

I'm guessing there will be more downward pressure on comics as the economy continues to hit headwinds.  I also think comics recovering will happen in a more normal way.  You woon't see dramatic price increases like we have seen. Books will catch fire and go through big pushes, only to see long windows of stagnation. 

So I do believe AF15 will continue to be the biggest book of the SA and it will recovery in time. 

this is so true. i remember that for several years it more or less plateaued around 2017-2020. then the pandemic happened and it exploded. like with all books now, it is cooling, and may lie dormant for awhile. 

as spidey is likely to continue to remain the most popular superhero IN THE WORLD for the foreseeable future (my in-laws in japan can verify this at least in that one country) when things start looking bright again financially, it seems a good bet that todays AF15 prices will once again seem like deals. 

if only i had a couple hundred grand lying around, i'd buy 3 or 4 copies!