• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 6/2/2023 at 8:35 AM, alexgross.com said:

going somewhere?

My increasing inability to refrain from telling my beloved clients to f$ck right off tells me it might be time to retire, so I will be at the end of this year.  So yeah, the comics may go 

On 6/2/2023 at 11:48 AM, SpideyFan64 said:

I haven't shared my copy in this thread yet, so here it is!  I've had this for just a bit over 40 years now.  Keep thinking one of these days maybe I will have it graded...

image.thumb.jpeg.da65cea6327c60a4717f04ed5e9d3422.jpeg

Hell no keep it raw. Here’s to 40 years.:applause:

On 6/1/2023 at 7:26 PM, DC# said:

For those that don't mind the play by play - this 4.0 went for a respectable $40,250 on Clink tonight.     

ScreenShot2023-06-01at7_23_56PM.png.24322c55e0f6202dfa0d56982a77eab4.png

I love me some date stamps!

On 6/2/2023 at 12:48 PM, SpideyFan64 said:

I haven't shared my copy in this thread yet, so here it is!  I've had this for just a bit over 40 years now.  Keep thinking one of these days maybe I will have it graded...

image.thumb.jpeg.da65cea6327c60a4717f04ed5e9d3422.jpeg

what a fantastic looking, raw copy !   40 years ago, what a deal I would assume compared to value today (looks like a solid 5.0 at least to me)

Welcome to the Club !

On 6/2/2023 at 10:43 AM, Drummy said:

I've always enjoyed this thread, and haven't posted my copy in a while, so in honor of the 4.0 that just sold...thanks!

Dan

image.jpeg.b8d040466263d4e76da99e511b68aa18.jpeg

fantastic white-pager !!!! Batmanis would predict that this is valued closer to an average  5.0 price point ..........

On 6/2/2023 at 10:03 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

My increasing inability to refrain from telling my beloved clients to f$ck right off tells me it might be time to retire, so I will be at the end of this year.  So yeah, the comics may go 

hilarious .... I am so close to this point with my patients as well :bigsmile: , I do love some of them but others ......... my comics at serious risk as well

On 6/2/2023 at 8:57 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’m still having a hard time processing that he, or any boardie for that matter, can so casually turn away. Apparently for some, it’s like flipping a light switch. I once asked Vincent at CC how Jon Berk was dealing with his own divorce from the hobby, and to my surprise was told he doesn’t miss it. I don’t think I’ll be so lucky.

they say amputees still feel tingling in a missing appendage years later, and that’s how I think it will be for me

great analogy, and i agree, but there may be a difference from selling ONE book and exiting, stage left .. than selling your whole collection. It may be easier to remove all emotion and ties when the whole collection is gone, and such an iconic collection.

This guy sold ONE frickin book and now he's removed his profile !?   Uh Boy !

On 6/2/2023 at 2:42 PM, fishbone said:

great analogy, and i agree, but there may be a difference from selling ONE book and exiting, stage left .. than selling your whole collection. It may be easier to remove all emotion and ties when the whole collection is gone, and such an iconic collection.

This guy sold ONE frickin book and now he's removed his profile !?   Uh Boy !

Two books. He also had an X-Men 1 that he pumped regularly, until it was sold.

Then he didn't have much to say about it. 

On 6/2/2023 at 7:03 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Let me know if you need my shipping address.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, DC# said:

At this risk of having the anti-MC group call my baby ugly.....here is my copy.    Buy the book, not the grade?  Good advice.   But sometimes you might find yourself in a place where you have to buy the deal.

Unknown-2.thumb.jpeg.32b001716d4e837e9ae7634dc3e38bb8.jpeg

That's a beautiful copy to me! (It certainly beats my copy).  

Congrats! 

On 6/3/2023 at 12:14 PM, DC# said:

At this risk of having the anti-MC group call my baby ugly.....here is my copy.    Buy the book, not the grade?  Good advice.   But sometimes you might find yourself in a place where you have to buy the deal.

Unknown-2.thumb.jpeg.32b001716d4e837e9ae7634dc3e38bb8.jpeg

Very vibrant colors

On 5/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Aman619 said:
On 5/5/2023 at 10:29 AM, lou_fine said:

Yes, although you as the receiver of the inheritance wouldn't have to pay any taxes, am I correct to say that the deceased would have to pay federal estate taxes on the portion that exceeds $12.92M of the FMV of their assets being transferred?  ???

yes.  and double that if he was married and the first to die passed her 12.9 onto the husband.   In essence NOBODY pays Federal estate taxes now (but may be liable to state estate taxes on a state by state basis).  Only estates (of married couples) worth more than (this year) 25.8M pay the any federal estate tax. Thats all of us except the .1 to 1 percenters.  An estate with more than the max exclusion amount (the 12.9M) pays fed estate tax on only any amount above 12.9 (or 25.8).  And heirs receive the assets with a cost basis "stepped up" to current market values.  

Greatly appreciate your detailed response to my enquiry here, as it clearly shows that it is a huge tax advantage for collectors and their heirs in America to hold onto their books until they go to the big comic shop in the sky, as opposed to selling them while they are still alive and kicking.  hm

Unfortuantely, nowhere near the same for Canuckleland up north of the border where all of the assets of the deceased is viewed by the tax department to be a deemed disposition upon death which means full on capital gains to be paid by the collector upon their death before anything can even go to the heirs.  :mad:  :censored:  :censored:

On 5/20/2023 at 12:23 PM, Aman619 said:

Makes me wonder how the Promise Collection heirs dealt with this. What would the cost basis have been?  cover price perhaps. Im no accountant, but I think their case gets a bit complicated as the assets were hidden for decades after the owner passed. Assuming they were worth very little at that point, all the increase in value is profit taxed as capital gains at sale, meaning the heirs pay that. Comics are more than the rate for long term held stocks: 28%   Although, lets face it -- in reality, its all gravy for them, so whatever they netted was just dandy Im sure.

Well, it really depends on what the true story is with respect to the disbursement of the Promise Collection, as I've received a few PM's from boardies postulating that the family members themselves might have sold off the collection right after his death and long before Heritage even got a sniff of it.  hm  (shrug)